2019 season launch and captain announced

Maureen T-k

The season launch was encouraging in terms of what the season has in store. Considering the relative unfamiliarity of a large part of the squad, they showed a lot of togetherness and camaraderie both on field during the open training session and in the Legends Suite afterwards for the launch itself.

Stebbings and Marsh look to have got the players in good condition ahead of Carr's arrival. One of the players mentioned that they've spent relatively little time with the ball in pre-season, which showed at times during the session last night, but Carr looked serious on the pitch, drilling the players in his style of play.

It was good to see the nucleus of the squad surviving from last season, as well as the new arrivals. A lot of the moves centred around the Boas brothers, as you'd expect, including Ase who had not slept since arriving in the country!

Carr told us we can expect a hardworking team every week, but didn't go into much detail of his own preferred philosophy or style of play. 

He said he chose Lockwood as captain because he wanted someone who knows the club inside out and who understands the importance of pulling on the shirt. Lockwood said his aims for the season were to stay fit and have a positive influence on the younger members of the squad.

I was impressed with Punchard, who seems to have a fantastic attitude. He talked of earning his stripes and learning from the senior squad members. I was also impressed with Jack Render, the former Cas academy captain who signed yesterday. He said that he had been planning on quitting RL and spoke eloquently about how excited he was to be a part of Carr's squad and to work under Carr. After a few light-hearted heckles at the mention of Cas, he said that he hoped to win the fans over. He's already gone some way to doing that from his words last night.

Harrison said he'd be out for another two months or so, so hopefully we'll get to see him in action in March. Delaney said he'd had a recurrence of his eye injury during the Halifax game but wanted to get fit and playing regularly. Bussey will be back for the fourth game of the season. Whylie was no longer in a cast/brace and was walking without a limp, but didn't say when we can expect him to be back on the pitch.

Off the pitch, Longo said that he'd moved to the CEO position to fall in line with the structure of most other RL clubs, and was focused on more "bigger picture" things such as revenue. He mentioned some forthcoming meetings with WMDC and WDH.

I heard a mole say that we can expect two more signings (squad numbers 1 and 2), but didn't get any names. [UPDATE: One of them is Forde, a winger from Hemel Stags https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/forde-joins-rovers-in-time-to-face-leeds-cdFm8]

All in all, a good season launch with an exciting squad. Can't wait for round 1.

I take it James Thornton has formally disappeared off the radar then... 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Archived