Rugby League World Club Challenge Match

Where to Stage Rugby League's World Club Challenge Match?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Where to Stage Rugby League's World Club Challenge Match?

• Australia?
    • UK?
    • Nuteral Venue?

Should it be the same neutral venue each time or a different venue each time?

I think it should be played each and every time in the Zayed Sports City Stadium [where they staged the FIFA Club World Cup in 2018] in Dubai.

Why?  It is a neutral venue i.e. no team in the match would have home advantage, the weather is not usually to hot or cold in Dubai in February the month the World Club Challenge match is usually played in!

If you are only going to get the cashed up hard core Fans from either team then you would be lucky to get a few thousand.

You would need a massive amount of local expats to turn up  to get anything like a decent crowd.

If my team made it and I had the money I would want to go somewhere that I could tag a holiday onto like Hawaii or Singapore,

Dubai.....  would not be interested at all.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Instead of just pointing on a map at places like Dubai and Singapore, why don’t we strategically and have it in Toronto where there’s a team and we’re trying to grow the game

Remember last time RL tried to do something in the Middle East: https://www.thenational.ae/sport/sol-mokdad-issues-public-apology-to-uae-rugby-federation-to-end-criminal-proceedings-against-him-1.123165

3 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Instead of just pointing on a map at places like Dubai and Singapore, why don’t we strategically and have it in Toronto where there’s a team and we’re trying to grow the game

Remember last time RL tried to do something in the Middle East: https://www.thenational.ae/sport/sol-mokdad-issues-public-apology-to-uae-rugby-federation-to-end-criminal-proceedings-against-him-1.123165

So most of the Fans of the Aussie Club will not see their team play.

If the Clubs fans can not attend the game and it becomes a Circus played in obscure places it will be dead in three years.

When ever its played in Australia it pull big crowds compared to St Helens or Leeds in recent times.

Brisbane hold the record crowd  in this series.

12 minutes ago, Allora said:

So most of the Fans of the Aussie Club will not see their team play.

If the Clubs fans can not attend the game and it becomes a Circus played in obscure places it will be dead in three years.

When ever its played in Australia it pull big crowds compared to St Helens or Leeds in recent times.

Brisbane hold the record crowd  in this series.

What happens when it’s played in the uk? Aussie fans fly over or watch it on tv.

Its a Final shouldn’t it be played at a neutral venue?

23 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

You have made the proper point exactly!  Toronto should be given the game....many English and Aussie fans would attend (MANY EX PATS AND CITIZENS FROM BOTH GROUPS ALREADY IN TORONTO).   It would certainly be a sellout and something 'new' for everyone involved.  plus, it would garner alot of press for the Wolfpack and all of the expansion efforts.  A win/win/win for everyone involved.....some would refer to this as an actual 'long term' plan.  Miracle of miracles....A PLAN!  AN ACTUAL LONG TERM PLAN NOT BASED ON ONE OFFS.

Just now, Mr Plow said:

What happens when it’s played in the uk? Aussie fans fly over or watch it on tv.

Its a Final shouldn’t it be played at a neutral venue?

Watch it on TV but at least every second year a Club has a chance to see their team live.

Why would you have it in Toronto? Aussies do not have any interest in that, thats a Super League vehicle.

Its a game played in Australia's pre season with a team that is often different from the one that won their local league.

Its a promo game mainly aimed at building up the egos of English fans and Clubs, that is why its played in England 90% of the time.

Just now, Allora said:

Watch it on TV but at least every second year a Club has a chance to see their team live.

Why would you have it in Toronto? Aussies do not have any interest in that, thats a Super League vehicle.

Its a game played in Australia's pre season with a team that is often different from the one that won their local league.

Its a promo game mainly aimed at building up the egos of English fans and Clubs, that is why its played in England 90% of the time.

Well I think many of the Aussies who currently live and work in Canada and the US Northeast would disagree....it would be a massive display of their national pride.  They would drive to Toronto in the thousands.

Just now, Kayakman said:

You have made the proper point exactly!  Toronto should be given the game....many English and Aussie fans would attend (MANY EX PATS AND CITIZENS FROM BOTH GROUPS ALREADY IN TORONTO).   It would certainly be a sellout and something 'new' for everyone involved.  plus, it would garner alot of press for the Wolfpack and all of the expansion efforts.  A win/win/win for everyone involved.....some would refer to this as an actual 'long term' plan.  Miracle of miracles....A PLAN!  AN ACTUAL LONG TERM PLAN NOT BASED ON ONE OFFS.

What is a sell out 8-10 thousand?

You would not get 500 local Australian fans travelling to Toronto.

The concept would be dead in three years.

Australians have nothing to do with Toronto or in most cases even know that they exist.

1 minute ago, Allora said:

Why have it in Toronto? As I said in previous post, if it’s going to be at a neutral venue why not have it where there is a RL presence like Toronto where we’re trying to grow the game.

If you think it’s a promo game to build English egos then why would Aus fans be bothered about it being at a neutral venue?

3 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Well I think many of the Aussies who currently live and work in Canada and the US Northeast would disagree....it would be a massive display of their national pride.  They would drive to Toronto in the thousands.

I admire your attitude but think you are way off target.

Not all Aussies are Rugby League fans, many have no interest in Sport.

How many Aussies live close to Toronto? if they ALL turned up you may have a reasonable crowd.

Just now, Allora said:

What is a sell out 8-10 thousand?

You would not get 500 local Australian fans travelling to Toronto.

The concept would be dead in three years.

Australians have nothing to do with Toronto or in most cases even know that they exist.

9 600 but the game could be moved to Rogers (55 000).  There are many Aussies in this region (10's of thousands)...I think its worth a shot.  Australians love Toronto and Canada...everyone knows that....where have you been lately?

Just now, Mr Plow said:

Why have it in Toronto? As I said in previous post, if it’s going to be at a neutral venue why not have it where there is a RL presence like Toronto where we’re trying to grow the game.

If you think it’s a promo game to build English egos then why would Aus fans be bothered about it being at a neutral venue?

You win.

Good luck with it.

Its barely alive now.

Just now, Kayakman said:

9 600 but the game could be moved to Rogers (55 000).  There are many Aussies in this region (10's of thousands)...I think its worth a shot.  Australians love Toronto and Canada...everyone knows that....where have you been lately?

That statement is not based on any facts

Just now, Allora said:

You win.

Good luck with it.

Its barely alive now.

Why? Sell it as an event. NRL champions V Super League champions to decide the best team in the world. Toronto is just an example why not have it in London or Perth rather then Sydney and Wigan?

3 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Why? Sell it as an event. NRL champions V Super League champions to decide the best team in the world. Toronto is just an example why not have it in London or Perth rather then Sydney and Wigan?

Most NRL Clubs and their fans do not agree its the best team in the World.

Its a promo game often in England when the Oz Clubs have not started pre season and the SL Clubs are several games into their season.

Its in artic cold english conditions and under English officials.

Its not the big game you and many here think it is Downunder.

Its a pre season warm up.

Anyway may the best team win.

2 minutes ago, Allora said:

That statement is not based on any facts

A quick check shows 250 000 native born Australians currently living in Canada and the US.  Many have married locals and have families with dual citizenship now.  Probably looking at something like 1 million in total to draw from.   Many Aussies in Canada currently on Visa work permits (thousands of 'em).  I think many of these people would make a point of coming to the game due to the Australian nature of it even if they were not big RL fans.  They yearn for a bit of the old country (just like the English immigrants)...its a winner out of the gate.

Where have you been the last 20 years?....Aussies love Canada...ask Blake Wallace.

Just now, Kayakman said:

A quick check shows 250 000 native born Australians currently living in Canada and the US.  Many have married locals and have families with dual citizenship now.  Probably looking at something like 1 million in total to draw from.   Many Aussies in Canada currently on Visa work permits (thousands of 'em).  I think many of these people would make a point of coming to the game due to the Australian nature of it even if they were not big RL fans.  They yearn for a bit of the old country (just like the English immigrants)...its a winner out of the gate.

Where have you been the last 20 years?....Aussies love Canada...ask Blake Wallace.

I always wanted to visit Canada, less so in recent times after being on this Forum.

Archived