Challenge Cup

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

In keeping with the spirit of the thread about match tickets “how much???”

I suspect if Bentley didn't play on a pitch in a public park, which makes taking a gate difficult, they'd have done what most NCL clubs do: charged a couple of quid for admission and given away (or included with admission) the match programme. Most people seemed happy enough to buy a programme and chuck a donation in the buckets.

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

I suspect if Bentley didn't play on a pitch in a public park, which makes taking a gate difficult, they'd have done what most NCL clubs do: charged a couple of quid for admission and given away (or included with admission) the match programme. Most people seemed happy enough to buy a programme and chuck a donation in the buckets.

I was being ironic HM.

rldfsignature.jpg

Just in from the Lock Lane-Longhorns tie. Says it all that the home team were absolutely begging for the final whistle. Down to 12 (after a 70th-minute red card), and with the All Ireland champions camped on their line, Lock Lane held out to win 16-10. For much of the game, however, Longhorns were the better team. Stats for possession and field position would be in their favour. Unfortunately, the visitors displayed more madness than method when threatening the Lock Lane line, though the hosts defended very well. A 16-page programme was included with £2.50 admission. Crowd was about 300. Horrible weather - cold with a bitter wind - for playing and spectating.

13 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Just in from the Lock Lane-Longhorns tie. Says it all that the home team were absolutely begging for the final whistle. Down to 12 (after a 70th-minute red card), and with the All Ireland champions camped on their line, Lock Lane held out to win 16-10. For much of the game, however, Longhorns were the better team. Stats for possession and field position would be in their favour. Unfortunately, the visitors displayed more madness than method when threatening the Lock Lane line, though the hosts defended very well. A 16-page programme was included with £2.50 admission. Crowd was about 300. Horrible weather - cold with a bitter wind - for playing and spectating.

A big improvement on their (Longhorns) score in the Challenge Cup last season when they lost 58-10 to West Hull.

rldfsignature.jpg

3 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

A big improvement on their (Longhorns) score in the Challenge Cup last season when they lost 58-10 to West Hull.

Yes, I watched that tie, too. Before kick-off today, one of the Longhorns officials told me their players are now much less raw and naive than at West Hull. They certainly impressed me this afternoon. Lock Lane knew they'd been in a game.

On 1/26/2019 at 11:21 AM, The Hallucinating Goose said:

On my way to York for acorn v beverley, season starts here for me, couldn't wait another week for my rugby fix! 

Hope you enjoyed the game. Didn't make it in the end as by the time I'd gone out cycling, got some lunch and sorted myself out the 2pm kick off was too early for me. Ended up going to watch York City instead, should have saved my coin.

"The Coral Challenge Cup second round draw will take place on Monday, January 28 at 6.00pm live from the clubhouse of either Wigan St Patricks or Leigh East on the BBC Sport website, depending on the result of their first-round tie this weekend (Saturday, January 26 – KO 2.30pm)."

20 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

16 page programme sounds like they've put some effort into that.  Well done LL.

Second Round Draw 

Underbank Rangers v Featherstone Lions 
Wigan St Patricks v GB Police 
Thornhill Trojans v Rochdale Mayfield 
Thatto Heath Crusaders v Leigh Miners Rangers 
Ovenden v West Bowling 
Normanton Knights v Haydock 
West Hull v Bentley 
Milford Marlins v Lock Lane 
Wath Brow Hornets v York Acorn 
Drighlington v Wigan St Judes 
Millom v Siddal 
Distington v RAF 
East Leeds v Dewsbury Moor 

Ties to be played over the weekend of February 9-10 

Thanks for posting the draw; I got in from work a few minutes too late to see it happen.

I wonder which ties will get streamed?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

57 minutes ago, Futtocks said:
  • Thanks for posting the draw; I got in from work a few minutes too late to see it happen.

I wonder which ties will get streamed?

I would be keen to see the Normanton vs Haydock or the St Pats vs GB Police game (my guess is the latter will be selected).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived