NBA Basketball 2018/19

Anyone else following this?

I’ve had on/off spells watching the sport after getting into it during the Larry/Magic/Jordan era.

Always liked the Boston Celtics and the San Antonio Spurs after luckily catching a couple of live games in the States.

Back to this season and I’m wondering if anyone can stop the Golden State Warriors from winning it (again).

37 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ve had on/off spells watching the sport after getting into it during the Larry/Magic/Jordan era.

Always liked the Boston Celtics and the San Antonio Spurs after luckily catching a couple of live games in the States.

Back to this season and I’m wondering if anyone can stop the Golden State Warriors from winning it (again).

Toronto can beat them...Raptors are the team to watch.  Nobody wants to play them.

This could be the year.

"We The North"

18 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Toronto can beat them...Raptors are the team to watch.  Nobody wants to play them.

This could be the year.

"We The North"

We used to get a lot of local Raptors broadcasts on one of our sports channels last year.  Now Sky have picked up the rights and we’re getting a more even spread of games across the league.

I guess for Toronto it will come down to keeping one of the best players in the league in Kawhi Leonard fit and healthy for the rest of the season.

Seen them as high as 3rd in the Power Rankings (behind the Warriors and Bucks) so I’m looking forward to seeing them play.

12 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

One of my proudest moments was getting my dad to be excited by a basketball match such that he cheered the last second winner. That was Loyola-Chicago's run in March Madness last year.

Like football, I tend to enjoy watching the college games more, especially towards the end of the season and then March Madness itself.

But then, loyalty to Chicago means I'm a Bulls fan who started following them *after* they were any good ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

We used to get a lot of local Raptors broadcasts on one of our sports channels last year.  Now Sky have picked up the rights and we’re getting a more even spread of games across the league.

I guess for Toronto it will come down to keeping one of the best players in the league in Kawhi Leonard fit and healthy for the rest of the season.

Seen them as high as 3rd in the Power Rankings (behind the Warriors and Bucks) so I’m looking forward to seeing them play.

They need to keep Leonard healthy in order to have a chance.

Just watched highlights of Golden State Warriors beating the Washington Wizards and the Philadelphia 76ers edging the San Antonio Spurs.

Got to say that everything seems to be coming together at the right time for the Warriors and they’ll be hard to stop.

The Spurs blew a 7 point lead to Philly in the final two minutes in a seesawing match up between East and West playoff hopefuls.

Looking forward to watching Toronto vs Houston on catch up tomorrow morning in another battle of two playoff bound teams from East and West.

25 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Just watched highlights of Golden State Warriors beating the Washington Wizards and the Philadelphia 76ers edging the San Antonio Spurs.

Got to say that everything seems to be coming together at the right time for the Warriors and they’ll be hard to stop.

The Spurs blew a 7 point lead to Philly in the final two minutes in a seesawing match up between East and West playoff hopefuls.

Looking forward to watching Toronto vs Houston on catch up tomorrow morning in another battle of two playoff bound teams from East and West.

Toronto is a different team if Leonard is playing.

Well Leonard just failed to steal an improbable win in an amazing finish to the Toronto Raptors-Houston Rockets game last night.

After trailing the Rockets by double digit scores in large stretches last night, the Raptors suddenly pulled within 2 points with possession and less than 15 seconds to play.

Feeding Leonard outside the 3 point line, the guy nicknamed the Klaw tried to drain a game-winning three pointer but missed wide left.

The Rockets’ and the league’s hottest player, James Harden was restricted to only 37 points which is a bit on the low side for a guy putting up 50 point averages in recent weeks.

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Well Leonard just failed to steal an improbable win in an amazing finish to the Toronto Raptors-Houston Rockets game last night.

After trailing the Rockets by double digit scores in large stretches last night, the Raptors suddenly pulled within 2 points with possession and less than 15 seconds to play.

Feeding Leonard outside the 3 point line, the guy nicknamed the Klaw tried to drain a game-winning three pointer but missed wide left.

The Rockets’ and the league’s hottest player, James Harden was restricted to only 37 points which is a bit on the low side for a guy putting up 50 point averages in recent weeks.

I watched the game...Toronto can play better but the Rockets won fair and square.

4 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I watched the game...Toronto can play better but the Rockets won fair and square.

Yes, would’ve been a heartbreaker for Houston had they thrown it away at the end after dominating for large parts.

James Harden guarded Leonard pretty well at the very end making that three point attempt for the win as awkward as possible.

Can’t wait for the San Antonio Spurs-New Orleans Pelicans game tonight live on Sky.  Although it looks like both teams might be missing their top players it is a vital matchup for both teams in a lot of ways.

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, would’ve been a heartbreaker for Houston had they thrown it away at the end after dominating for large parts.

James Harden guarded Leonard pretty well at the very end making that three point attempt for the win as awkward as possible.

Can’t wait for the San Antonio Spurs-New Orleans Pelicans game tonight live on Sky.  Although it looks like both teams might be missing their top players it is a vital matchup for both teams in a lot of ways.

The Pelicans always gobble their food and grossly overeat before games so don't expect alot of fast footwork.

16 hours ago, Kayakman said:

The Pelicans always gobble their food and grossly overeat before games so don't expect alot of fast footwork.

The Spurs won pretty comfortably in New Orleans 126-114 playing their trademark high-percentage no-frills game.

It was a good night for the Raptors though as the teams around them in the East like the Celtics, Sixers and Pacers all lost.

You can probably hope too that the Thunder can do you a favour when they play the leaders, Milwaukee, later today.

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

THE PELICANS;  that name certainly strikes fear into the heart of the opponent!

It has to be one of the least intimidating nicknames in North American sport.

That said I wouldn’t fancy tackling a pelican myself in the street if I had something it wanted.

A big bird with a big gob!

28 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It has to be one of the least intimidating nicknames in North American sport.

That said I wouldn’t fancy tackling a pelican myself in the street if I had something it wanted.

A big bird with a big gob!

Spend some time with the minor league baseball teams list and you will soon think that Pelicans sounds normal and fine.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Is there a particular reason why the format of the NBA All Star game has changed?

I was expecting an East vs West match and line-ups, but it appears not.

Instead the best player in the East and the best player in the West (as voted for by fans?) does a ‘playground’ style pick of the rest of the nominated players regardless of conference allegiance.

So this year it is Team LeBron vs Team Giannis.

Recorded a bit of this week’s action featuring two beasts from the Eastern conference when 1# Milwaukee Bucks played 3# Toronto Raptors.

Greek player and All Star captain Giannis Atetokounmpo showed why he is unstoppable when driving at the basket as he helped put the Bucks into a 24 point lead after the half.

But the Raptors cut that to 6 points at the start of the 4th in a complete change of momentum with Pascal Siakam leading the scoring during a 27-9 run.

Despite this comeback the American side were able to hold off the late Toronto rally to pick up the win 105-92.

Another incredible display from Giannis last night on our UK screens as the Milwaukee Bucks thrashed the Washington Wizards 148-129.

The big Greek wedded dunks, three pointers and alley oops as the Bucks posted a jaw-dropping 50 points alone in the first quarter.

They couldn’t quite keep up that pace as the Wizards rallied defensively, but it was not enough to stop Milwaukee from staying top of the East with a 40-13 record and now a two game lead on Toronto.

Elsewhere Golden State crushed San Antonio 141-102 to keep their grip on the West.

On 1/22/2019 at 3:02 AM, gingerjon said:

One of my proudest moments was getting my dad to be excited by a basketball match such that he cheered the last second winner. That was Loyola-Chicago's run in March Madness last year.

Like football, I tend to enjoy watching the college games more, especially towards the end of the season and then March Madness itself.

But then, loyalty to Chicago means I'm a Bulls fan who started following them *after* they were any good ...

On 2/7/2019 at 7:32 AM, Gerrumonside ref said:

Another incredible display from Giannis last night on our UK screens as the Milwaukee Bucks thrashed the Washington Wizards 148-129.

The big Greek wedded dunks, three pointers and alley oops as the Bucks posted a jaw-dropping 50 points alone in the first quarter.

They couldn’t quite keep up that pace as the Wizards rallied defensively, but it was not enough to stop Milwaukee from staying top of the East with a 40-13 record and now a two game lead on Toronto.

Elsewhere Golden State crushed San Antonio 141-102 to keep their grip on the West.

Toronto just made a big trade yesterday; BIG!  Got Garsol at center from Memphis....not announced if he will be in lineup in NY tonight yet....they had to give alot....this trade means they are all in and going for broke this year....they are "in it to win it"; just like the Woilfpack!

11 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Toronto just made a big trade yesterday; BIG!  Got Garsol at center from Memphis....not announced if he will be in lineup in NY tonight yet....they had to give alot....this trade means they are all in and going for broke this year....they are "in it to win it"; just like the Woilfpack!

Yes, that looks a good acquisition and the Sixers too made some big moves before the trading deadline.

That Eastern Conference looks like it will have a really interesting playoffs now with Toronto, Boston and Philadelphia all believing strongly they can stop Milwaukee and Giannis.

I hope the Raptors can go far as the TV times seem to work better for us in the UK generally.

• 4 months later...
On 09/02/2019 at 17:21, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, that looks a good acquisition and the Sixers too made some big moves before the trading deadline.

That Eastern Conference looks like it will have a really interesting playoffs now with Toronto, Boston and Philadelphia all believing strongly they can stop Milwaukee and Giannis.

I hope the Raptors can go far as the TV times seem to work better for us in the UK generally.

Well I hope you have been following things...Toronto Raptors new NBA Champs (as predicted).   Lots of happy people around here today.  In a few years it will be  Toronto Wolfpack winning Super League,  YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

3 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Well I hope you have been following things...Toronto Raptors new NBA Champs (as predicted).   Lots of happy people around here today.  In a few years it will be  Toronto Wolfpack winning Super League,  YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

Yes, I was thinking about these conversations about the Raptors funnily enough! ?

Archived