“New Yorkshire cup”

kev p

Was the recently completed “Yorkshire cup” regarded as a new competition or a revival of the old Yorkshire cup? As it was played pre season & with non top tier teams. No preseason lancs or Cumbria cup? Or will that follow next season?

50 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

This debate? Again? 

Who cares what it was, those that took part seemed to like it and so did the fans by the attendances. 

The aim for next year should be a sponsor and seeing if any new entrants want to take part. 

Was apparently sponsored by K2 Mechanical & Electrical Services Limited and Berry’s Jewellers of Leeds donated the Trophy, although you could be forgiven for not having noticed.

I think it was a good start, but also hopefully some lessons have been learned too. It would be nice for it to have a bit more visibility and be a bit clearer how the fixtures were supposed to work from the start. It would also be good to see a few more teams, but we also don't want to end up playing too many games.

I'm sure they'll build on its nicely next year. The fact this year's event was pulled together late didn't help with regards to build up, but still as others have mentioned it drew some solid crowds and was well received by most.

In regards to whether it should be considered a new competition or extension of the old, honestly considering an original style Yorkshire Cup will never come back, the clubs involved should decide how they want to leverage the historical side to raise the profile of the competition.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Considering it was a 'late idea' it worked well. Double headers for the first weekend,  well supported, and all the receipts shared between the competing clubs. I haven't seen this weekends attendances, but I guess around 12,000 across the 3 weekends makes it a nice little earner. Of the 7 professional teams, all bar Halifax had a home game, (they would have had but their ground was unavailable), and I'm sure it will continue next season, with a few tweaks here and there. For me 8 teams across 3 weekends is just about right. 

Don’t see why they can’t expand to twelve teams and create three competitions in one. 

Have Batley, Bradford, Dewsbury, Featherstone, Halifax, Sheffield, York, Doncaster, Hunslet, Keighley and two amateur sides in it, split into four groups of three. Each side plays two group games then the four winners of each group plays-off for the Yorkshire Cup, those that finish second play-off for the Yorkshire Bowl and those that finish third play-off for the Yorkshire Plate. 

That way all teams will play a minimum of three games, some four and all have something to play for. 

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Don’t see why they can’t expand to twelve teams and create three competitions in one. 

Have Batley, Bradford, Dewsbury, Featherstone, Halifax, Sheffield, York, Doncaster, Hunslet, Keighley and two amateur sides in it, split into four groups of three. Each side plays two group games then the four winners of each group plays-off for the Yorkshire Cup, those that finish second play-off for the Yorkshire Bowl and those that finish third play-off for the Yorkshire Plate. 

That way all teams will play a minimum of three games, some four and all have something to play for. 

agreed... would be lovely to see the old cup dusted off just because its a nice cup.. 

37 minutes ago, RP London said:

agreed... would be lovely to see the old cup dusted off just because its a nice cup.. 

Does anyone actually know the whereabouts of the old cup? It hasn't been played for for years, so is it in a vault in Red Hall or still with the last winners? or sold off for scrap.....

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

5 minutes ago, Bulliac said:

Does anyone actually know the whereabouts of the old cup? It hasn't been played for for years, so is it in a vault in Red Hall or still with the last winners? or sold off for scrap.....

The Lancashire Cup was at Bolton at the Challenge Cup Semi Finals... not that that helps with the Yorkshire Cup though.. would hope its either with the RFL or previous winners.. 

I don't thing players in the final got a medal. I would hope that this situation can be rectified (hopefully retrospectively) before next year's competition.

By the way, full marks to Batley for the arrangements at Sunday's game. No need to buy a ticket before going to the turnstiles and a really good atmosphere within the ground.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

It's NOT the 'old' Yorkshire Cup and that's not an issue for me. That was then, and this is now - and what we had this season worked well, and can be made better with a few tweaks

No reason why it shouldn't be built on for next year. And Oliver Clothesoff's proposal above works for me.

I think more sponsors could be found, and perhaps some TV - either streaming with Proper Sports, or even on FreeSports (they televised the Conference last season, so why not?)

Just now, paulwalker71 said:

It's NOT the 'old' Yorkshire Cup and that's not an issue for me. That was then, and this is now - and what we had this season worked well, and can be made better with a few tweaks

No reason why it shouldn't be built on for next year. And Oliver Clothesoff's proposal above works for me.

I think more sponsors could be found, and perhaps some TV - either streaming with Proper Sports, or even on FreeSports (they televised the Conference last season, so why not?)

No, it's not the old competition, that's true. But it has been built upon the name, and long lasting goodwill, which still surrounds the old Yorkshire Cup so it can't be called unconnected. In exactly the same way that clubs, like ours, which have 'gone under', sometimes on numerous occasions, still feel a genuine connection with 1863.

For what it's worth, I think it's worked well this year. That said, I'm quite not sure how a wider competition, with more clubs, can still work to provide an effective pre-season workout. It might actually be interesting to ask the coaches how they feel the competition has affected their preparations? We'd perhaps have to arrange some pre-Yks Cup warm-ups for coaches and players to do their usual assessments and trials.

If it is to become much expanded It might work better as a separate competition after the season has started, maybe timed for after the majority of Champ/Champ1 clubs are out of the Challenge Cup?

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Archived