BREAKING: Sky to broadcast Championship play-offs and Toronto Wolfpack fixtures

I know some got disappointed to see Premier lose the NRL and the Wolfpack games, but I honestly feel this is better for the sport.

I think being part of Sky’s portfolio will help promote the Toronto Wolfpack story to a wider audience which might cause people to look again at rugby league in a more positive light.

I think there’s a greater opportunity to get cross-promoted as a sport on Sky’s channels and for some of our clubs it could be a positive to get their presence out there.

I understand that Premier dedicated more time to NRL broadcasts, but the truth was that the subscriber base was tiny and it wasn’t helping to grow the sport.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

True but who knows how and why Sky only chose to televise TWP? At least there will be a continuation of TWP's games being televised and the OL app means there's going to be quite a few weeks where two Championship games are available.

Because Wolfpack is paying for it.

TWP news release:

Toronto Wolfpack will produce all of the team’s Betfred Championship games in both the UK and Canada in 2019 after announcing a broadcast agreement at today’s Rugby Football League (RFL) season launch in York, UK.

After discussions ongoing since the end of last season involving the RFL and Sky Sports agreement has been reached for all matches to be available for live publication on Sky Sports platforms in the UK. Distribution in Canada and around the world are included as part of the deal and will be confirmed over the next few weeks.

Brian Noble MBE, Toronto Wolfpack Director of Rugby, commented:

“We have invested significantly in our broadcast for the last two seasons, culminating in our 2018 postseason games reaching 140 million homes in 19 countries worldwide. We are extremely grateful to both Sky Sports and the RFL for sharing our vision to grow our game globally in 2019, and thank both for their efforts building this opportunity.”

Toronto Wolfpack’s growing army of fans in Canada, the UK and across the world will be able to enjoy every minute of action from an exciting new-look 14 team Betfred Championship in 2019. The Pack’s diverse range of sponsors and partners will also benefit from an amplified reach and opportunity to access new markets while opposing teams in the Betfred Championship will gain exposure from a minimum of two televised games against the Wolfpack. Noble continued:

“The entire Wolfpack organization is driven by the belief that the world is a better place with more rugby balls in more kids’ hands. Maintaining our impressive broadcast reach plays a key role in inspiring youngsters around the world to take up our sport, while showcasing our product and players live is key in continuing to grow our brand.”

Additional plans for 2019 include Sky Sports showing games from the Betfred Championship Play-Offs including the Betfred Championship Play-Off Final. October’s final game of the 2019 Betfred Championship season will again be known as the £1M Game and serve as a winner takes all showdown in the quest for promotion to the Super League.

Mark Foster, who heads the RFL’s commercial department, added:

“We saw with the reaction to Sky’s live coverage of the £1M Game between the Wolfpack and London Broncos in Toronto last autumn what a massive boost that was to the profile of the Betfred Championship.

“This couldn’t have happened without the co-operation and support of Sky Sports and Toronto Wolfpack and we wish to thank both organisations for helping us to broadcast in the UK and around the world what will be a fantastic Championship as well as League One in 2019.”

At least one match a week will also be shown through the RFL’s Our League membership platforms (app & web) in 2019 including the Betfred Championship, League One, Coral Challenge Cup, Coral Women’s Challenge Cup, 1895 Cup and Women’s Super League. Foster concluded:

“This is fantastic news for all the fans and clubs of Betfred Championship and League One with both competitions being broadcast more than ever before.”

The first round of matches in the Betfred Championship sees the Wolfpack take on newly-promoted York City Knights at Bootham Crescent on Sunday February 3rd (10am EDT / 3pm GMT). The game will be shown live on the Sky Sports platform as well as through the Wolfpack’s Canadian and global broadcast partners.

Please about Ourleague. I really enjoyed the L1 matches I watched at the end of last season. 

We also have the BBC showing every round of the CC. 

Anyone know if NCL ties will be broadcast again this year (can’t remember the channel but enjoyed the games I watched). 

Daft question, but if they show Toronto Home & Away, isn't this going to stop people going to their games, and reducing clubs income, therefore, making the Toronto trip a waste of time, killing Income, and making Toronto financially insecure without European gate money?

So sky has picked up the old premier sports feed...........good news..........nothing groundbreaking but i guess it means i can watch fev away in canada without spending a couple of grand to do it ?

Be interesting to see if they are still everyones biggest home game now we can all just watch the game on tv if it's raining.

I'm assuming it'll be hidden away on the red button somewhere..............but hey ho small steps and all that

The highlights programme on the ouRLeague app sounds interesting..........hopefully this could be the start of more coverage on there for the championships once the current sky deal is up.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

One thing I would love to see alongside this is genuine enthusiasm on Sky Sports for our game. There are some events that clearly get box office treatment and levels of excitement, whereas with our game it feels like they simply read out whatever is written down in front of them...

14 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

So sky has picked up the old premier sports feed...........good news..........nothing groundbreaking but i guess it means i can watch fev away in canada without spending a couple of grand to do it ?

Be interesting to see if they are still everyones biggest home game now we can all just watch the game on tv if it's raining.

I'm assuming it'll be hidden away on the red button somewhere..............but hey ho small steps and all that

The highlights programme on the ouRLeague app sounds interesting..........hopefully this could be the start of more coverage on there for the championships once the current sky deal is up.

Is there a highlights package or was that a wish on a previous post?

rldfsignature.jpg

This is great news!....now even more people can watch the Wolfpack and their teams play....progress is being made....remember to thank 'The Pack' for doing the heavy lifting once again.

This is a big step forward for all of RL....we are moving in the right direction!

4 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

This is great news!....now even more people can watch the Wolfpack and their teams play....progress is being made....remember to thank 'The Pack' for doing the heavy lifting once again.

This is a big step forward for all of RL....we are moving in the right direction!

Once you guys are in super league i'll be cheering you on against the so called 'big clubs'....until then i look forward to seeing the mighty Featherstone Rovers turn you guys over again?

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

38 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Is it effectively Wolfpack TV then?.... as in biased commentary from their perspective........I don't really mind either way but i've never watched their coverage on Premier sports so just wondered.

It was always good fun when Noble was on...Wolfpack player knocks on and the ball bounces 5 yards upfield, "The referee has adjudged that it went forwards" says Nobby, straightfaced ?

I'm glad about both the Toronto deal and the OurLeague stuff though. Can't have too much Championship RL (& League 1 for that matter) and the away games, especially, are very handy for fans who cant travel to Canada. It means we all get a couple of extra looks at every other Championship team, which can't be bad.

The our league app might be great in principle but is probably only watched by those who already go to games,much prefer some sort of deal with a free to air company.Union is everywhere and that's the exposure you need if you want to be truly national 

56 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Once you guys are in super league i'll be cheering you on against the so called 'big clubs'....until then i look forward to seeing the mighty Featherstone Rovers turn you guys over again?

You guys played well that day and deserved the win....we will be ready for you this year so that it doesn't happen again!

"Run With The Pack!"

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Daft question, but if they show Toronto Home & Away, isn't this going to stop people going to their games, and reducing clubs income, therefore, making the Toronto trip a waste of time, killing Income, and making Toronto financially insecure without European gate money?

Every game in the first two seasons was broadcast and it didn't hurt attendance. If anything, it helped improve attendance with the exposure the team received.

3 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Possibly makes sense to Sky as someone else will be filming Toronto’s home games so minimal costs to them. Just guessing here but maybe the Canadian broadcaster is prepared to cover the costs of Sky filming Toronto’s away games. 

The Wolfpack are responsible for producing the broadcasts in Canada. If I understand the deal correctly, Sky produces the European games and the Wolfpack produces the Canadian games. Sky then has exclusive UK broadcast rights while the Wolfpack get to sell the rights in all other markets. 

1 hour ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Is it effectively Wolfpack TV then?.... as in biased commentary from their perspective........I don't really mind either way but i've never watched their coverage on Premier sports so just wondered.

It is essentially TWP producing their games - with their own commentators -and either selling the package to Sky - presumably cheaply as Sky always needs live sports - or less likely buying the airtime outright. Either way benefits both parties

Archived