Claim to fame

Just for a different talking point:

Anybody got a claim to fame with regard to watching RL.

At the final whistle of Hull v Fev in 1983,my name was displayed on the big electronic scoreboard at the old Wembley Stadium.

Anyone match it?

No need to be nasty, just a bit of fun.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe not a major one yet, and a little bit tenuous, but will be telling my grand children this one when I'm old and grey (I hope), and it is a FACT. My claim to fame. Technically I was the first Rugby League player to score a try at the London Stadium (Olympic stadium, Stratford). ?

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

My mate has had a Bradford season ticket for twenty-odd years. His former wife had been a Leeds season-ticket holder since her teens. On a fair few occasions they were interviewed on the radio  before a derby game.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

18 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

Just for a different talking point:

Anybody got a claim to fame with regard to watching RL.

At the final whistle of Hull v Fev in 1983,my name was displayed on the big electronic scoreboard at the old Wembley Stadium.

Anyone match it?

No need to be nasty, just a bit of fun.

Do tell. Why was your name on the Wembley scoreboard? Are you David Hobbs?

rldfsignature.jpg

I've been to every Leeds SL play off game since the first Grand Final series back in '98.

That's not that remarkable I suppose but I suspect there are only a handful of us as barely a hundred or so made it to Perpignan at a week's notice back in 2012. Gary Hetherington is the only other person I know about who also has this claim :)

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Do tell. Why was your name on the Wembley scoreboard? Are you David Hobbs?

I used to go for the weekend most years,and call in to see relatives in Croydon on Saturday morning.This year I missed seeing my cousin so she phoned the stadium and gave them a bull55it reason why she needed to get hold of me.Hence the message on the scoreboard to ring a certain number.

2 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

I used to go for the weekend most years,and call in to see relatives in Croydon on Saturday morning.This year I missed seeing my cousin so she phoned the stadium and gave them a bull55it reason why she needed to get hold of me.Hence the message on the scoreboard to ring a certain number.

Definitely not David Hobbs then.

rldfsignature.jpg

3 hours ago, M j M said:

I've been to every Leeds SL play off game since the first Grand Final series back in '98.

That's not that remarkable I suppose but I suspect there are only a handful of us as barely a hundred or so made it to Perpignan at a week's notice back in 2012. Gary Hetherington is the only other person I know about who also has this claim :)

Barely a hundred?  Disgraceful!  I hope that if the Rhinos make it to this season's play-offs the SL charge them £500k for the privilege!

As a kid, I got Kurt Sorensen's tie ups after full time at a Widnes game. When I looked at them they actually had K Sorensen written on them in pen lol. I then played using the same tie ups for the next few years. People actually thought I'd written his name on them ? 

Lee Radford rung me up once.

I thought it was RoyBoy winding me up.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I was in the crowd at featherston v bradford, not sure of the year but Paul Newlove was at Bradford, had been selected for a GB trip to Aus but had turned it down because he didn’t like flying. Anyway, I was right at the front of the crowd talking to my mates when Mike Stevenson suddenly appeared in front of me on the field side of the barrier and asked if he could have a word. I was then interviewed by Stevo on camera for about 5 mins discussing the ins and outs of the Newlove situation. I never knew if it was aired as none of us had Sky at the time, but it might have been 

8 hours ago, TBone said:

I was in the crowd at featherston v bradford, not sure of the year but Paul Newlove was at Bradford, had been selected for a GB trip to Aus but had turned it down because he didn’t like flying. Anyway, I was right at the front of the crowd talking to my mates when Mike Stevenson suddenly appeared in front of me on the field side of the barrier and asked if he could have a word. I was then interviewed by Stevo on camera for about 5 mins discussing the ins and outs of the Newlove situation. I never knew if it was aired as none of us had Sky at the time, but it might have been 

You are Eddie Hemmings and I claim my free black wig.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I was watching a Regal Trophy early round match with my mates. Wigan V Carcossanne. We were sat on the wall behind the posts(Rathbones stand).

The camera went past on one of them tracks and we all gave a 2 fingured salute that was broadcast to the nation. My mum was watching the game at a family get together so all my family saw it. 

Grounded for a month :/

18 hours ago, Scubby said:

As a kid, I got Kurt Sorensen's tie ups after full time at a Widnes game. When I looked at them they actually had K Sorensen written on them in pen lol. I then played using the same tie ups for the next few years. People actually thought I'd written his name on them ? 

I got and still own Sonny Whakarou's sock from the last game at Tattersfield. Plain white. Nowt special but it's mine

I also stayed at the same hotel in Hull as the GB team before an international, as I walked across the car-park of the hotel I saw Paul Sculthorpe and Bobby Goulding getting out of PS car in their tracksuits, as I walked into reception the rest of the team were lounging around.

57 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I also stayed at the same hotel in Hull as the GB team before an international, as I walked across the car-park of the hotel I saw Paul Sculthorpe and Bobby Goulding getting out of PS car in their tracksuits, as I walked into reception the rest of the team were lounging around.

We stayed at a hotel in London in 1994. The Aussies who had lost to GB earlier in the day were busy in the bar trying to forget the score line with a little alcoholic help. Big ignorant git Steve Roach shoved me out of the way to get at the bar. If he hadn't had his mates with him I'd have taken him outside and given him a damn good thrashing.

rldfsignature.jpg

There is a photo of me, not a crowd or group shot, in a CC final programme on Wembley Way reading the previous years cup final programme (that is the year the photo was taken which was the previous year) 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I did some work for Wales in the '95 World Cup along with a couple of friends and we all got official tracksuits to wear to the game.

After they had beaten Samoa in Swansea we left the ground just behind Rowland Phillips and a fella across the road shouted over 'well done lads, great win'.

Obviously we waved back and answered 'cheers, mate'. 

Archived