Match Thread. Pre-Season friendly. Featherstone v Leeds Sunday 27th January 2019

marklaspalmas

This will be an interesting one.

With Ase Boas here and Cam King flying as I type, there may be one or two new faces in our final hit-out before the serious stuff starts at Odsal.

As we're playing Leeds, perhaps there will be no DR.

That means we look to our own squad. If the two latest additions play (AB I dont see why not but CamKing is pushing it a little), and McDaniel & Richardson continue, that'll give us possibly 18 players of our own, given that Harrison, Whylie, Delaney (looked injured?) and Bussey won't be playing.

The score will be irrelevant, but we'll be looking for a good performance no doubt.

Poss line up, looking very light in the forwards on the bench:

image.png

Might be that some of the reserves squad will get a look in. This is what I have at the moment. There may have been some changes to the reserve squad I don't know about.

Bailey Barker  P/2R
Josh Beevers  B
Adam Cooke  P
Jacob Cox  B
James Cranswick  P
Jordan Davis  F
Kai Fagan  2R
Brandon French  C
Sam Hawkins  F
Lewis Jackson  W/FB
Alfie Jewitt  C
Liam Kendall  2R
Josh Maden  HB/H
Billy Marsh  H
Harry McAllister  2R
Jimmy McDaniel  B
Linden Metclafe  H/W
Sam Otterwell  FB
Aiden Pedley  C/W
Jorge Richardson  HB
Tom Schofield  HB
Jordan Taylor  2R/C
Luke Walters  H
Ben Worrincy  P
Bradley Wright  FB
Nathan Wright  W/FB

3 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

This will be an interesting one.

With Ase Boas here and Cam King flying as I type, there may be one or two new faces in our final hit-out before the serious stuff starts at Odsal.

As we're playing Leeds, perhaps there will be no DR.

That means we look to our own squad. If the two latest additions play (AB I dont see why not but CamKing is pushing it a little), and McDaniel & Richardson continue, that'll give us possibly 18 players of our own, given that Harrison, Whylie, Delaney (looked injured?) and Bussey won't be playing.

The score will be irrelevant, but we'll be looking for a good performance no doubt.

Poss line up, looking very light in the forwards on the bench:

image.png

Jordan Taylor was in the squad last weekend too. Will be interesting to see how many reserve signings get squad numbers tonight. 

Must admit when I saw the Leeds squad I was a bit disappointed, they actually fielded a much stronger squad against Doncaster than they are putting out against us.

But then given we are fielding a new half back, new hooker and the other half back has only played one game, as have two of the strating three quarters, it's probably in our favour not to be playing too strong a Leeds team...thinking back to the Cas game, we had virtually no good ball, only yardage sets exiting our 20, especially in the second half, and it won't do our attacking combinations any good at all if Leeds played a really strong side that dominated possession.

Mind, I can see some fans getting carried away if we beat a very young Leeds team (as we probably should), in the same way plenty got carried away in the opposite direction when our own very inexperienced team lost to Hunslet Parkside.

I'd suggest it will also benefit our coach in terms of getting a first hand look at players we may see on DR at some point during the season. Not sure we'd learn much getting tonked by the Leeds 1st team. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

"All leeds I mean fev are we"

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

1 minute ago, Blue Pike said:

What happened in the second half when we had a good half time lead. Hopefully our Coach has a better idea of playing staff before next weekend 

Was only listening to RoversTV commentary but in the first half we played all our starters against a very young (but talented) Leeds team, we were down the slope and had the wind at our backs, and we dominated as you'd expect.

2nd half we were uphill into the wind and steadily took off more than half of our starters, and Leeds dominated.

Pretty much as you'd expect, really.

The really negative thing is Josh Hardcastle getting a red card for a tip tackle, now that we could have done without.

28-32

That was an alarming collapse for me - i know that will not happen in the league with that amount of changes that occurred but the second string need a lot of work

What went through Hardcastles head when he was making that tackle i will never know - will deffo cop a ban for that

I wouldn't go as far as calling it 'an alarming collapse', not totally unexpected given the taking off of the vast majority of the starting 13. Probably shows the difference in class between our reserve grades and Leeds's 2nd string. For me there were plenty of positives from the first 40 and I believe the coach will have got a lot out of the game as a whole. My positivity is growing for the season and confirms my belief that the top 5 is a very achievable target. 

1 hour ago, Private Baldrick said:

I wouldn't go as far as calling it 'an alarming collapse', not totally unexpected given the taking off of the vast majority of the starting 13. Probably shows the difference in class between our reserve grades and Leeds's 2nd string. For me there were plenty of positives from the first 40 and I believe the coach will have got a lot out of the game as a whole. My positivity is growing for the season and confirms my belief that the top 5 is a very achievable target. 

Not just the difference in class between reserve grades and Leeds 2nd string, there seems to be a difference in class between the PNG players + Cameron King, and the remaining first teamers from last year, all of whom are top Championship players. If that continues to be the case things are looking good. Trouble is there is no squad depth, but add a full complement of D/R fringe first teamers and you will have a very strong side, probably better than last year.....until the injuries and suspensions bite?

17 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Not just the difference in class between reserve grades and Leeds 2nd string, there seems to be a difference in class between the PNG players + Cameron King, and the remaining first teamers from last year, all of whom are top Championship players. If that continues to be the case things are looking good. Trouble is there is no squad depth, but add a full complement of D/R fringe first teamers and you will have a very strong side, probably better than last year.....until the injuries and suspensions bite?

Yes that's a good summary. We need to remember that we are running on a much-reduced budget this year so one or two gambles have to be made. Yes we ended up paying the price for running with a small squad last year given DR didn't really help us towards the backend of the season but it seems a more reasonable gamble this year.

The number of players who currently look like genuine 1st teamers might be small but there seems little doubt that we are going to use DR more this year and as mentioned before Leeds have a MUCH deeper squad this year - they have 35 compared to 30 or 31 the last two years and looking at their squad there aren't any who aren't up to playing at Championship level. Dunno if we are still set to get a couple on loan or not but three each week is going to make a difference to us. Also, there's going to be a big difference between bringing a reserve like, say, Jimmy Beckett in for an odd game to cover injuries, to suddenly having six or seven reserves on the field at the same time.

What we probably can't afford is a long-term injury to either of our halves, but it's difficult to justify carrying a quality 3rd half back on a low budget. Equally, if we get seven or eight out injured at the same time, we may struggle, because you can only bring in 4 on DR, but that's where we are financially.

Archived