Pre season/ Trials

Workington my life

the preseason we have had so far seems a bit pointless personally as Whitehaven was a good game to have  I understand but playing Huddersfield was pointless as it was a load of kids who aren't ready to play that high of standard. Also looking at the past few years young lads from the local amateur clubs have no chance in getting in as it just seems to be lads from Seaton Rangers. I understand a lot of people  in the club have been at Seaton but is  it fair to just pick up players from there.

We’ve just signed a handy lad with a good pedigree from Barra and Leon  has said in interview they’ve looked at a few lads from down there and I’m sure scout for talent all around . A good mix local lads with potential , giving them a chance to impress , and outside quality is right . I think we get the balance pretty spot on

25 minutes ago, Workington my life said:

the preseason we have had so far seems a bit pointless personally as Whitehaven was a good game to have  I understand but playing Huddersfield was pointless as it was a load of kids who aren't ready to play that high of standard. Also looking at the past few years young lads from the local amateur clubs have no chance in getting in as it just seems to be lads from Seaton Rangers. I understand a lot of people  in the club have been at Seaton but is  it fair to just pick up players from there.

Nothing positive at all to take from it?

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

2 hours ago, Workington my life said:

45 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Pointless was used twice , and I’d say it sums up that post . 

Not pointless at all, game time is game time, that's when a team can show what they have done on the training pitch and look at the positive's and negatives, from both these games the coach will have identified what he should be working on with the players both individually and as a team.

3 hours ago, Workington my life said:

yawn yawn yawn

1 hour ago, Limmertime said:

Only concern with pre season is we could do with another game b4 oldham, any game time is good (including hudds) 

Couldn't agree more, 3 free sundays before oldham isn't ideal preperation.

Hopefully there will be a few opposed training sessions to keep us game ready before then

16 hours ago, havenhater said:

The reason the 2 lads from egremeont didn't train for town or Whitehaven let alone sign was because like a few others they have a tour of Australia coming up for barla. 

Why give up that 

If that's the case lads will probably never sign cos the seems to be a tour to the southern hemisphere every year.... The reason lads don't sign from the top NCL teams is cos most of them think they are better than they are and see signing as a backward step, either that or they ask for rediculous amounts of money to sign when they aren't even a "tested" product at this level. They would find it harder than they think. 

They can go there and still be young enough to sign for town in 12 months.

Some lads just don't want to commit so young. But still we can't complain we have hensingham, wath brow and seaton to thank for some of our current 17 amongst many other clubs locally and from barrow.

3 hours ago, oldrake9 said:

If that's the case lads will probably never sign cos the seems to be a tour to the southern hemisphere every year.... The reason lads don't sign from the top NCL teams is cos most of them think they are better than they are and see signing as a backward step, either that or they ask for rediculous amounts of money to sign when they aren't even a "tested" product at this level. They would find it harder than they think. 

What a load of ######, get yourself to a ncl game and see the standard, then ask one of the players why he is not playing semi pro, 

The problem with rugby league,is no reserve teams,young lads don't get enough game time,so stay with there amateur clubs,  get back to having A teams up and running again,then we can sign a player at 18 or 28 and bring players on to 1st team level,super League clubs also instead of u20 League.

2 hours ago, JMB said:

What a load of ######, get yourself to a ncl game and see the standard, then ask one of the players why he is not playing semi pro, 

I do go and I have seen the standard...if you read what I wrote again you will see that there was more than one reason, most aren't good enough at the moment and the ones who are want too much money

10 hours ago, oldrake9 said:

I do go and I have seen the standard...if you read what I wrote again you will see that there was more than one reason, most aren't good enough at the moment and the ones who are want too much money

You can see that when the NCL teams play the Ch1 teams, they compete with the lower end but not with the top teams. 

Town played poorly against the top NCL side by a mile and still won handily enough.

So anyone saying the level is similar is giving a delusional/biased opinion.

17 hours ago, oldrake9 said:

Agreed

19 hours ago, oldrake9 said:

What ever is said its always down to the individual players choice, especially when a player is enjoying his rugby.

Archived