Connor & Sammut banned

25 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

1 and 2 games respectively.  Connor for verbal abuse towards the Ref and Sammut did a Houston by making contact with the Ref.

Hull are appealing, obviously as they are short of halves, but stuff like this from players in friendlies is just plain daft.

Not connected to these two players but I hope this is a sign refs are going to crack down on all forms of disrespect. 

2 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Not connected to these two players but I hope this is a sign refs are going to crack down on all forms of disrespect. 

Could be Bob.  IMO, continually questioning the Ref, when a decision has been made that is so obvious,  falls into that category too.  

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

“But Jake Connor is the sort of bloke we want to build Super League around.” 

He’s a ######. 

He has all the skills.  I can’t think of another British back who is as good and I hope this is a blip.  England need Connor imo.

Surprised Sammut hasn’t got a longer ban.  Houston got caned for his contact.

Just now, Lowdesert said:

He has all the skills.  I can’t think of another British back who is as good and I hope this is a blip.  England need Connor imo.

Houston had done before though and with the same ref I think. By the way has he ever reffed a match since  

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

As much as I love the guy, Connor is a gobs***e. I have no issue at all with his niggle and his getting under the oppositions skin, he has a reputation and he plays to it, and that's fine, but he needs to be smarter about it. You can't be swearing at referees and I have no problem with the ban whatsoever. 

It leaves Hull with a headache for the Derby though because it doesn't seem like Kelly will be fit and Sneyd has only had very limited minutes in pre season after returning from injury.

21 hours ago, my missus said:

typical of thr rl this take out all the star players for the opening games of the season it makes perfect sense.

I know, the rfl are crazy for not allowing players to gob of at refs because they are a "star player". Should go one further and put the "star player" in a special shirt and let them break any rules they want, because they are a "star player". 

2 hours ago, dkw said:

I know, the rfl are crazy for not allowing players to gob of at refs because they are a "star player". Should go one further and put the "star player" in a special shirt and let them break any rules they want, because they are a "star player". 

this wouldn't happen anywhere else but in rugby league, high profile players being taken out of what are the two big opening games of the season. if the players had took someones head off fair enough.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

41 minutes ago, my missus said:

this wouldn't happen anywhere else but in rugby league, high profile players being taken out of what are the two big opening games of the season. if the players had took someones head off fair enough.

So your advocating the rfl allow players to abuse their officials if they have a big game coming up? Are you insane. 

51 minutes ago, my missus said:

this wouldn't happen anywhere else but in rugby league

Here's an example of it happening in another sport but rugby league - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/aug/16/newsstory.sport2

high profile players being taken out of what are the two big opening games of the season. if the players had took someones head off fair enough.

Let's imagine this happened. The RFL come out and say "Jake Connor and Jarrod Sammut have been abusive/made contact with a match official, but we aren't going to ban them because they're high-profile players and they have a big opening game of the season".

I'm sure that would be well received.

19 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Here's an example of it happening in another sport but rugby league - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/aug/16/newsstory.sport2

really? you had to search out a 12 year old article you need to get a life.

Let's imagine this happened. The RFL come out and say "Jake Connor and Jarrod Sammut have been abusive/made contact with a match official, but we aren't going to ban them because they're high-profile players and they have a big opening game of the season".

I'm sure that would be well received.

lets imagine the rl said (amongst themselves) we don't want to ban any players for trivial stuff as these are high profile opening games so we will say no case to answer.

5 minutes ago, my missus said:

lets imagine the rl said (amongst themselves) we don't want to ban any players for trivial stuff as these are high profile opening games so we will say no case to answer.

How is it trivial exact? 

6 minutes ago, my missus said:

That’s the problem you think this is trivial I’d say the majority of us don’t think abusing Refs verbally or physically is trivial. 

Just now, bobbruce said:

That’s the problem you think this is trivial I’d say the majority of us don’t think abusing Refs verbally or physically is trivial. 

have you seen sammuts physical abuse of the ref?

59 minutes ago, my missus said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RedVeeDotNet/status/1088837125393580032

I found the link here, but thanks for your concern.

I think this is one of these matters that we will just never agree on, in that I don't think that abuse of match officials is a trivial matter.

Archived