World Cup venues to be announced next Tuesday...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a farce a joke a disgrace it should of bin announced next Monday not Tuesdy etc. etc.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

51 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Both the Semi Final double header at Wembley and the sell out Final at Old Trafford were a success in 2013 and should be repeated IMO. England’s opening game at St James Park Newcastle could be good too. 

Leigh had a sell out of over 12,000 for the Cook Islands v Tonga in '13, on that they should be given another game

Sixteen venues, down to 14. 

Wembley, Old Trafford, London Stadium, Etihad Stadium, Threemilestone (Cornwall), St James’ Park, Bramall Lane, DW Stadium, Halliwell Jones, Keepmoat, Langtree Park, Headingley, John Smith’s Stadium, KC Stadium, Ricoh Arena and Anfield are the sixteen venues according to Wikipedia.

Would bin off the Cornwall one and either the London Stadium or the Etihad as London and Manchester have venues. That said, Cornwall would provide a wider geographic footprint.  

19 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Sixteen venues, down to 14. 

Wembley, Old Trafford, London Stadium, Etihad Stadium, Threemilestone (Cornwall), St James’ Park, Bramall Lane, DW Stadium, Halliwell Jones, Keepmoat, Langtree Park, Headingley, John Smith’s Stadium, KC Stadium, Ricoh Arena and Anfield are the sixteen venues according to Wikipedia.

Would bin off the Cornwall one and either the London Stadium or the Etihad as London and Manchester have venues. That said, Cornwall would provide a wider geographic footprint.  

The BBC post I linked says

Leeds, Greater Manchester, York and Sheffield are among the bidders. London, Liverpool, Newcastle and Preston are also under consideration.

...which adds York, Liverpool, Newcastle and Preston to the mix

Wembley has to be the final in my opinion. Would have the double header at old Trafford I think. World record International attendance is 74,400. No excuses we need to be breaking that. We can surely get at least 80,000 at Wembley when we can get 70,000 for challenge Cup final. This is the world cup, let's show the world what rugby league can do!! 

14 venues?

Wembley (SE) - Old Trafford (NW) - St James Park (NE) - Bramall Lane (Y) - Headingley (Y) - Ricoh (M) - Ashton Gate (SW) - Olympic Park (SE) - Langtree (NW) - KC (Y) - Huddersfield (Y) - Warrington (NW) - Eithad (NW) - Leigh (NW) - York (Y)

Opener - St James Park (Eng)

Eng Grp Games - OP and Eithad

Eng QF - Bramall Lane 

SF - Old Trafford (Eng)

SF - Ricoh (Non-England)

Final - Wembley

Every area of the country covered (majority up north) with England’s games in big stadia. Get it done.

The tournament got Northern Powerhouse funding so I would assume the final pretty much has to be at Old Trafford.

Given the target attendances, the use of grounds the size of Leigh and, sadly, Rochdale will have to be minimal but I hope there is some scope for a few of them.

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

14 venues?

Wembley (SE) - Old Trafford (NW) - St James Park (NE) - Bramall Lane (Y) - Headingley (Y) - Ricoh (M) - Ashton Gate (SW) - Olympic Park (SE) - Langtree (NW) - KC (Y) - Huddersfield (Y) - Warrington (NW) - Eithad (NW) - Leigh (NW) - York (Y)

Opener - St James Park (Eng)

Eng Grp Games - OP and Eithad

Eng QF - Bramall Lane 

SF - Old Trafford (Eng)

SF - Ricoh (Non-England)

Final - Wembley

Every area of the country covered (majority up north) with England’s games in big stadia. Get it done.

Every corner covered..... yet not a single match within 2 hours drive of Whitehaven or Workington. Hope Towns new Stadium will at least give the area 1 game especially after the 2013 WC and the 4 nations epic.

I seem to recall reading that 80% of matches have to be in the north due to "Northern Powerhouse" government funding.

My main hopes are for an England opener in Newcastle (not against Australia), the final at Wembley and to see England not playing at a stadium with a capacity of less than 40,000.

This tournament has the scope to cater for all size venues. With the increase to 16 teams, we are going to have some games between minnow nations which can be held at low-capacity stadiums. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but the latter stages of the tournament and for England matches, we should go all out.

EDIT: Just seen, 24 or 31 games in the north.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/no-helmets-required/2018/jul/31/rugby-league-world-cup-england-2021

2 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

Semi final doubleheader at the etihad,I wish people would stop going on about old trafford...it's a bleeding horrible ground for RL...

Final at wembley

I wouldn't go as far as that, but it is true that the dangerous playing area makes me feel we shouldn't be playing major internationals at Old Trafford.

I liked GS's suggestion, but with one semi at the Etihad and one at the Ricoh. Stick in an England group game at Anfield.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I do agree they will go with OT for the final, but I feel we have been there and done that and it is time to show growth by moving back to Wembley and getting a record 90,000 for it. 

If we focus in that, I'd happily take 56k at Etihad for a double header or that and a smaller ground if double header not available.

I really want this tournament to have a freshness about it, going back and repeating too many things from 2013 could be an issue.

Archived