Ancestry DNA

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/28/2019 at 2:47 PM, Lounge Room Lizard said:

I prefer to use birth certificate and other papers than DNA. I just dont Trust these companies and your roots maybe Irish but it doesnt for me give you a proper view of your ancestors and when they moved or on what ships etc. I think getting such info far more interesting than some alleged DNA saying I have ancestory from wherever. 

I wouldn't disagree, they are much more reliable to build a tree upon.  For me the DNA links have provided some interesting information, the accuracy of which is debatable, but it does provide some interesting food for thought seeing shared hints with distant cousins etc which for me have given some inspiration to go off and explore parts of the tree I'd otherwise ignore.

Has anyone yet discovered that they don't have a trace of Irish ancestry?

I was hoping I might have a trickle of a gene from the Emerald Isle, but nothing so far. And no hint of Scots either.

Even some of my Welsh ancestors spent a long time in Shropshire and to a lesser degree in Herefordshire.

Perhaps I'm the most British person anywhere.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

8 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

I was hoping I might have a trickle of a gene from the Emerald Isle, but nothing so far. And no hint of Scots either.

Even some of my Welsh ancestors spent a long time in Shropshire and to a lesser degree in Herefordshire.

I'm sure if you do your DNA it'll say otherwise! 

I'm less Irish than I initially thought, seeing as though 3 of my 4 grandparents have very Irish names. On my dads side I've only found 1 Irish relative.

On 2/2/2019 at 7:20 PM, John Rhino said:

I gave a talk on DNA testing to our local history group so did a lot of research on this. Basically they make hollow promises.

There is lots wrong with the methodology.  Simply put, the foreign data base is far too small to be meaningful. It may tell you that you have something in common with people who live in a country NOW, but are they the same as the people who invaded or migrated here generations ago? Highly unlikely. Populations are far more mobile, even going back to Neolithic times, than people commonly think.

Oh, and never believe family trees posted by Americans without very careful verification. They are desperate for long roots. According to one that must have taken years to do I'm related to king Ethelberger but they had to invent a son of a minor German ruler who it turned out only had three daughters.

Thanks for this. I would say it isn't only Americans who are a problem, there are many people too willing to make leaps that you can't make. To do it properly, you have to be highly sceptical: a 90% probability isn't enough.

I'm still a little unsure that the ancestry DNA companies are claiming with their percentages. If I go back to my mum's results, 85% of what is Irish? Is it saying 85% of her DNA is similar to Irish people now or 85% of her ancestors were Irish? My initial understanding was that they look at sections of the DNA and are able to identify small changes in the genes that happened amongst certain populations. So if you have that change in your DNA it is evidence that you had that ancestry.

As you've pointed out, populations are very mobile but so are genealogies. Apart from very recent migrants, I'd be surprised if there is anyone in the UK who doesn't have some Viking ancestry.

4 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Apart from very recent migrants, I'd be surprised if there is anyone in the UK who doesn't have some Viking ancestry.

That's where I'm guessing my 10% Norwegian comes from!

18 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

What in your opinion is British. Britain is Wales for mine. Eastern England is England, western England is Wales. 

On 1/28/2019 at 2:47 PM, Lounge Room Lizard said:

I prefer to use birth certificate and other papers than DNA. I just dont Trust these companies and your roots maybe Irish but it doesnt for me give you a proper view of your ancestors and when they moved or on what ships etc. I think getting such info far more interesting than some alleged DNA saying I have ancestory from wherever. 

Balls. So if you're born in Wichita that makes you Indian does it? Lol. A dog born in a stable is a horse? I put far more importance on DNA than where you're born. 

4 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Balls. So if you're born in Wichita that makes you Indian does it? Lol. A dog born in a stable is a horse? I put far more importance on DNA than where you're born. 

According to your DNA you're from the African savannah. 

9 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

I'm not buying that, there's evidence to suggest that we didn't all come from present day Africa, that's just what ppl who are pro a multi cultural Britain say, liberal garbage IMO. 

So humans evolved twice?

22 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

I'm not buying that, there's evidence to suggest that we didn't all come from present day Africa, that's just what ppl who are pro a multi cultural Britain say, liberal garbage IMO. 

Is it because you:

1. Believe the evidence is wrong? or
2. Don't like the thought that you may be related to someone whose ancestors got a better suntan than yours?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

26 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

And the evidence for human evolution outside of our current African origins is where?

Just now, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Obviously because i think the ppl who say that are wrong, there's no way you can say that with 100% proof. 

You "think"?

So, if the evidence were proven to be 100% right somehow (even though we'll never 100% know), would it really matter to you if you were distantly related to dusky brown Muslims or black Africans?

The only difference between those of us with pasty white skin and those with darker tones is historical sunlight exposure.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

8 minutes ago, ckn said:

Is it because you:

1. Believe the evidence is wrong? or
2. Don't like the thought that you may be related to someone whose ancestors got a better suntan than yours?

I'm waiting to break it to him that he'll inevitably have thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of English ancestors. 

55 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

So humans evolved twice?

Some places in Lancashire haven’t evolved once...

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm waiting to break it to him that he'll inevitably have thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of English ancestors. 

English are Danes and northern Germans mainly. I have dark hair with a hairy body and green eyes. I'm CaucASIAN. Probably got some relatives who were born in modern day Armenia or around that region. There is only one race. 

8 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

English are Danes and northern Germans mainly. I have dark hair with a hairy body and green eyes. I'm CaucASIAN. Probably got some relatives who were born in modern day Armenia or around that region. There is only one race. 

You do know that by 1,000 years you have over a million great grandparents right? How many of these do you think we're Armenian?

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Some places in Lancashire haven’t evolved once...

Once you are perfect, there is no need to evolve

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

46 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

So why is it such a stretch to accept you’ll have relatives in Africa as well?

My dad had a saying from his time with the Highland Division. "We're all Jock Thompson's bairns."

There's a lot of truth in that.

9 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

My dad had a saying from his time with the Highland Division. "We're all Jock Thompson's bairns."

There's a lot of truth in that.

So, your Dad said he was not your real Father?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

25 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

So, your Dad said he was not your real Father?

Hmm. I don't think you've quite understood the point. However, as both my mum and my dad are dead, I cannot ascertain the answer to your question. I believe my dad is (was) my dad and I am more than happy with that.

Archived