Ancestry DNA

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I know that, but the claim has been made about Caesar and the whole world. 

It has been - some of the claims don't necessarily stack up but the modelling for even some of the more outlandish ones is often pretty well thought through. The sheer number of ancestors - and also that even the most remote groups weren't always remote all the time - does mean such things are possible if not probable.

It's pretty well established that the Vikings reached Newfoundland for example. It's also seemingly been established that early settler colonies in the US that were assumed to have 'vanished' probably didn't but instead intermingled and got it on with the locals. In both cases, Caesar can squeeze in.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 2 months later...

It's more of a general ancestry point, but I came across something that I thought was interesting this week. I watching Farage's somewhat pathetic claim that Biden hates the UK because when a reporter said that they were from the BBC, he replied with 'I'm Irish.'

I was vaguely aware that Biden's ancestors came from Mayo, and that is where my closest Irish relatives are from too so I thought I'd take a quick look. It absolutely wasn't in some attempt to see if I could claim him as a distant relative...

I was surprised to find that he is almost certainly less Irish than I am. His closest Irish relative is a great-great-grandfather whereas I have a great-grandfather. This was interesting because they were celebrating in Ireland at his election, especially in Mayo where they had posters up and the like.

It made me wonder whether there was anything I could have done or achieved in my life as an individual that would have had the residents of Castlebar, Co. Mayo out celebrating or even warranting a mention in the local newspaper. If I'd achieved something with worldwide significance like winning an Oscar, a Nobel peace prize, Wimbledon, become world's richest man etc would my Irish ancestry suddenly be celebrated in Ireland?

My gut feeling says no. Whilst we often joke about Americans overplaying their Irish ancestry, I think the Irish themselves are happy enough to indulge in it too when it's an American. I suspect to the Irish, the fact that my ancestors went to England and as such that I've been brought up as English means that they wouldn't feel that affection or pride in the same way. I may be a Brit with a significant amount of Irish heritage, but I'm still a Brit.

There's a significant difference between the Oirish ancestry claimed by your average Oirish American and genuine Irish ancestry though.

I've recounted the tale of being in a Oirish bar in California and being offered a Black and Tan on the drinks menu. As far as the "full Oirish heritage" owner was concerned it was a traditional Oirish drink. Just because I could I had three. Mrs Shadow was unamused. I was giggling like an idiot.

I reckon there's this one tumbledown cottage somewhere in the RoI where they tell each and every president that their beloved Oirish ancestor lived, back in the once upon a time. Recycling's good for the planet, right?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I reckon there's this one tumbledown cottage somewhere in the RoI where they tell each and every president that their beloved Oirish ancestor lived, back in the once upon a time. Recycling's good for the planet, right?

O'Bama came over to find his Oirish roots if I recall correctly

12 hours ago, Shadow said:

There's a significant difference between the Oirish ancestry claimed by your average Oirish American and genuine Irish ancestry though.

I've recounted the tale of being in a Oirish bar in California and being offered a Black and Tan on the drinks menu. As far as the "full Oirish heritage" owner was concerned it was a traditional Oirish drink. Just because I could I had three. Mrs Shadow was unamused. I was giggling like an idiot.

In a moment of sensitivity, a colleague did ask me whether an Irish Car Bomb had been a poor choice of drink for me.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I have done some interesting family history work, Salford Museum, and Library helped, as did the Warrington version. My Maternal side are all North Cheshire, my paternal side is very complicated, a mix of Everton, Salford, Oldham & Isle of Man (Douglas), my daughter is now a mix of that, and Jamaican, Bajan, & Cuban. When she does her DNA it might blow the computer.

On 14/11/2020 at 11:47, Maximus Decimus said:

It made me wonder whether there was anything I could have done or achieved in my life as an individual that would have had the residents of Castlebar, Co. Mayo out celebrating or even warranting a mention in the local newspaper. If I'd achieved something with worldwide significance like winning an Oscar, a Nobel peace prize, Wimbledon, become world's richest man etc would my Irish ancestry suddenly be celebrated in Ireland?

They don't seem to have claimed Trump. His mother was from the Isle of Lewis, but for some reason, I don't see the Scots claiming him as one of their own either.

A few minutes flicking through the 19th century census returns for Widnes or St. Helens will tell you that the bulk of locals will have plenty of Welsh & Irish ancestry and possibly some from Eastern Europe too. 

I believe I'm correct in saying that our Queen has more recent Irish ancestry than Joe Biden.

Archived