Balkan Super League 2019.

3 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

14 teams from 8 nations.

D381C9BF-116E-49E5-A375-7368AFEDC0BC.png

Good to see continued development and I think the creation of 2 divisions was needed, as some of the Serbian clubs were too dominant against the newbies and it didn’t do anyone any good. 

I see Turkeys representation has dropped to 2, I wonder if that’s because they’re concentrating on their domestic competition development more. Similarly with Greece and just the 1 club but we all know about the problems there, so it’s just good to see they’re still battling on.

A few interesting new clubs there - Lignano Sharks, I’ve not heard of them before so hopefully Woody can fill us in on them. Lignano is a coastal town in the north east of Italy, just further around the coast from Venice. RL traditional stronghold has been in the south and Sicily. 

Red Kangaroo Belgrade is also a new one on me ?

On 1/27/2019 at 1:04 PM, deluded pom? said:

Apparently the Lignano team will be a rep team and the RKB are RSB’s second team.

I’m back involved with Montenegro, a bloke from Batley coaching RL in Tivat ?

54 minutes ago, Changa said:

Does anyone know of direct flights to Belgrade from any northern airports? 

I've never seen Belgrade listed on any of the smaller northern airports i.e Donny, Leeds or East Midlands (is that too south?). Not sure about Manchester though.

rldfsignature.jpg

3 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I've never seen Belgrade listed on any of the smaller northern airports i.e Donny, Leeds or East Midlands (is that too south?). Not sure about Manchester though.

Thanks. Now that it's on the TGG circuit you'd like to think that one of the budget airlines might pick up that ball and run with it. 

On 1/27/2019 at 6:49 AM, deluded pom? said:

14 teams from 8 nations.

D381C9BF-116E-49E5-A375-7368AFEDC0BC.png

What is theixture format? Just playing teams in own division? Or cross division fixtures also? Looks like a international league growing at a sensible pace. Automatic p/r or not? Not always best if standard is too great

4 hours ago, kev p said:

What is theixture format? Just playing teams in own division? Or cross division fixtures also? Looks like a international league growing at a sensible pace. Automatic p/r or not? Not always best if standard is too great

https://www.rlef.eu.com/articles/1693/balkan-super-league-to-include-14-teams-from-eight-nations

‘In both divisions, the two best-placed teams in each group will enter the play-offs and contest the semis, with the respective Grand Finals set to be staged at the home venue of the highest ranked side.’

rldfsignature.jpg

• 2 months later...

http://www.rlif.com/article/8609/results-from-round--of-the-balkans-super-league

Four games were played in the opening round of the 2019 Balkan Super League involving teams from five countries.

Teams from Serbia, Greece, Bulgaria, Albania and Bosnia-Herzegovina

Dorcol Belgrade ?? 6 - 52 Aris Eagles Athens ??
Lokomotiv Sofia ?? 10 - 40 Radnicki Nis ?? 40
Ragbi Klub FIS ?? 6 - 46 K.R. Tirana ??
Radnicki Novi ?? 28 - 26 Red Kangaroo Belgrade ??

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

http://www.rlif.com/article/8609/results-from-round--of-the-balkans-super-league

Four games were played in the opening round of the 2019 Balkan Super League involving teams from five countries.

Teams from Serbia, Greece, Bulgaria, Albania and Bosnia-Herzegovina

Dorcol Belgrade ?? 6 - 52 Aris Eagles Athens ??
Lokomotiv Sofia ?? 10 - 40 Radnicki Nis ?? 40
Ragbi Klub FIS ?? 6 - 46 K.R. Tirana ??
Radnicki Novi ?? 28 - 26 Red Kangaroo Belgrade ??

Big result there for Aris away at Dorcol, impressive 

Can you believe this?

Teams from 5 different countries, playing each other, without any money from Sky, nor taking any players or resources from the vital heartlands clubs, nor any development officers paid for by Sport England! 

Is this some made up bull shine? Is it a dream? 

What I want to know is, if these poor bug gers can do it (with away games involving hundreds of miles of travel) why can't know-it-all Parksiders ''experts'' in the North of England do it?

https://www.balkanrl.com/ is the place to go

If you follow the Balkan SL page on facebook, there is a whole load of other stuff going on. They live streamed first and second division games from Serbia last weekend. Plenty of video and photos from the games.

I see GB Pioneers are off to tour Albania in the summer.

21 hours ago, TheConductor said:

Whats the attendance for these games ?

In general I dont know  but I can speak about , Bosnia match , the attendance was decent about 200 people's and for a small community like Vitez , it was more than football from what I understood.

Attendances are anywhere from 50 to 500 spectators.  Highest one so far has been Radnicki Nis vs Tirana last year, approx. 500 spectators.  (below)

image.png.f10bc3cf074ccb3c64bec99621e24267.png

And Tirana vs Attica Rhinos was 250, but not 250 people just being present, sitting and watching.  90% were ultras from the affiliated football team and made loads of noise and chanted throughout the entire match, made an incredible atmosphere (picture below)...

image.png.40cecb79f4e7f97a7b257cdd93e18c17.png

What a great story this is. Can anyone tell me about the GB Pioneers? What are they all about? 

1 minute ago, fighting irish said:

What a great story this is. Can anyone tell me about the GB Pioneers? What are they all about? 

They have a website http://gbpioneers.co.uk/ ? not sure how up to date it is.

Student RL team which picks a squad (I believe) mainly from those who're involved with RL development activity.

They tour somewhere each summer with the aim of promoting RL there - must be getting close to 10 countries now, mostly in Eastern Europe, but also Morocco and Kazakhstan. This year it's Albania's turn. I think they went to Turkey last year and Hungary in 2016.

11 minutes ago, JonM said:

They have a website http://gbpioneers.co.uk/ ? not sure how up to date it is.

Student RL team which picks a squad (I believe) mainly from those who're involved with RL development activity.

They tour somewhere each summer with the aim of promoting RL there - must be getting close to 10 countries now, mostly in Eastern Europe, but also Morocco and Kazakhstan. This year it's Albania's turn. I think they went to Turkey last year and Hungary in 2016.

I wonder why the website is so out of date? The most recent news seems to be about 2013. It gives the impression the thing is dead and buried.

This is such a great initiative (who thought of it?) and something we should be doing much more of. Does anyone here know how its funded? 

Archived