The worst imports to great britain

4 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

His big mistake was putting a giant cross on himself by telling everyone what he was going to do to the soft pommie forwards. As you say not the brightest move. 

Well he was called Spud so obviously he was no Einstein 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dkw said:

You literally cannot conceive that maybe, just maybe those players weren't good enough to play over here can you. Such an insular point of view. 

Bradley Clyde was not good enough to play for an English Club side but was a regular in the Kangaroos Squad for much of his career?

Is that what you are saying?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 minute ago, Allora said:

Bradley Clyde was not good enough to play for an English Club side but was a regular in the Kangaroos Squad for most of his career?

Why are you using just him? I haven't mentioned any name other than Carroll. Some weren't good enough, some perhaps used it as a holiday, some were garbage and overhyped because they are supermen. 

10 minutes ago, Allora said:

Maybe the Stars took the easy money and did not show up on the field, its happened before.

I’d suggest the conditions, style of rugby, infrastructure, culture et al are far more likely issues why someone doesn’t fit in well/make it rather than simply not trying to their potential. Life in the north of England is a bit different to Canberra, Sydney or Brisbane.

Just now, Allora said:

Bradley Clyde was not good enough to play for an English Club side but was a regular in the Kangaroos Squad for most of his career?

At that time he wasnt no but that was probably down to attitude as you say but at the end of the day he’s a professional. So you end up with the reputation you deserve at the end of your career. In Aus for him it’s good but he will never be seen as a great over here because of that spell. 

Just now, GeordieSaint said:

I’d suggest the conditions, style of rugby, infrastructure, culture et al are far more likely issues why someone doesn’t fit in well/make it rather than simply not trying to their potential. Life in the north of England is a bit different to Canberra, Sydney or Brisbane.

I agree.

Kiwis seem to fit in better than Aussies.

Just now, bobbruce said:

At that time he wasnt no but that was probably down to attitude as you say but at the end of the day he’s a professional. So you end up with the reputation you deserve at the end of your career. In Aus for him it’s good but he will never be seen as a great over here because of that spell. 

Maybe.

When a Club signs a player from overseas they need to put plenty of work into bedding the player in and making him fit in.

Northern England is a world away  from Oz lifestyle. 

11 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I agree , that’s definitely a factor at play . Failing to settle off the pitch can have a knock on effect 

We has some shockers at workington over the years, including a stand off who could only pass one way, butch fatnowna (better than wendell sailor) who I can only remember throwing up between the posts after a run and Tony Smith... Though in fairness Tony looked OK until he broke his arm. 

13 minutes ago, dkw said:

We has some shockers at workington over the years, including a stand off who could only pass one way, butch fatnowna (better than wendell sailor) who I can only remember throwing up between the posts after a run and Tony Smith... Though in fairness Tony looked OK until he broke his arm. 

The first one wasn’t Kayle Connor by any chance was it? About 2012?

Jamie Ainscough at Wigan was poor - totally disinterested, played SOO just before he came over if I remember rightly?

Jeff Wittenburg was a big disappointment at Bradford, we waited absolutely ages for him and he was mediocre 

Hudson Smith (at Bradford not Salford) was another disappointment - at times he looked absolutely unstoppable but his heart wasn't in it and I think he left mid contract.  Shame as he showed at Salford he was a top player

Wire had a couple of players who played against Bradford in the opening game in 1997 - Mataeke Mafi might have been one of them - they were awful and didn't seem to play much after that.   

(I agree that Orford was good for the Bulls - would have liked to have seen him a few years earlier when he would have had better players around him)

Just remembered one - Paul Carige at Salford. It seemed like very time he got the ball, he stepped to his right. It took about five seconds for every defensive player in SL to figure him out.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived