Holocaust Memorial Day

2 hours ago, ckn said:

It changed to reflect that the Holocaust is moving out of living memory and into recognising living memory genocides such as Cambodia and Rwanda. That’s fair enough and keeps it relevant for today’s people. 

Europe of eighty years ago is still more immediate to people than Africa now. Even the Baltic wars are more remote, though I suspect that is changing. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

My own opinion with those that seek to downplay the Holocausts importance is that the attitudes towards refugees way back then is little different, and the fear mongering little different, to that today.  

It’s an uncomfortable look in the mirror for some when we as a society have supposed to have grown.  All the western allies officially  refused entry and turned away Jews when it was perfectly clear what their fate would be when they returned to their home country.

The genocides in Africa and Asia, whilst still no less horrific were largely geographically contained and didn’t provoke such extreme reactions as that of the Jewish refugees.

It’s one of the saddest things that for those who died in the Holocaust itself, and those that died, and survived, fighting to end it the rest of us have barely moved an inch in terms of society in 80 years.

After plenty of PMs and a couple of reported posts, I’ve reviewed this thread and removed three posts that could not be kept in all due conscience.  One original and two quoting it.

The rest are up for general discussion. You either discuss and confront things like this or they get hidden underground.

If you still feel it’s not right, hit report again and I’ll put it on to John Drake to have a 2nd look.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 1/28/2019 at 5:41 PM, Lounge Room Lizard said:

The Holocaust Day is a Project run by a largely Jewish number of people who focus way too much on something 80 years ago. I feel atleast for a couple of years they should focus on the events of Rwanda,  Cambodia etc. The world should not forget these events neither. Also more should be made about the tens of millions murdered in the Gulags

Attrocities against Humans are committed by people of all Religions,  Races and backgrounds and such events are still happening today in Israel, China,Russia and elsewhere.. I dont get the feeling World Holocaust sends that message. It seems to focus more on 80 years ago which I dont agree with.Who in my opinion are more interested on the Holocaust and focus too much on it. How many people know much about.what happened in Rwana or Burundi? I would like to see World Holocaust make a big effort to inform and Highlight this and other modern day similarities etc

The Holocaust Day Project focus too much on THE THING IT IS NAMED FOR? What? Of course it focuses on the Holocaust.

What happened in Rwanda, Cambodia, Sbrenica, Armenia and all the other genocides across history were absolutely horrific. Of course they were. But only the Holocaust industrialised the slaughter. And the fact that it was 80 years ago and slipping out of living memory makes days like Holocaust Day *more* important. It can't be allowed to be forgotten.

As for "run by a largely Jewish number of people"... I don't see what that has to do with anything.

Archived