Elstone vision shows intention for 2019 and beyond

engagement with the younger masses is the focus.  Although imo changing a few rules will not bring speccies running, Elstone insists this new approach will create better understanding.  “We stand for our rebellious soul, intrinsic great northern values. Those values are appealing wherever we are. If you’re going to go to one region in the world that stood for rebellion, then Catalonia is it.” referring to the planned match in Barcelona.

Could do with some clear evidence what this approach will include to convince the naysayers (Telegraph included) but imo we have to fully commit.  No half hearted efforts but real intention, sponsored campaigns etc and involve new faces (Pearce, Adams, Warrington, Barton even Prince Harry).

For a few years I’ve hope we could produce video that compares to the quality of All or Nothing and Friday night Lights. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-league/2019/01/26/super-league-sets-create-rebellious-soul-superstars-launches/

4 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

engagement with the younger masses is the focus.  Although imo changing a few rules will not bring speccies running, Elstone insists this new approach will create better understanding.  “We stand for our rebellious soul, intrinsic great northern values. Those values are appealing wherever we are. If you’re going to go to one region in the world that stood for rebellion, then Catalonia is it.” referring to the planned match in Barcelona.

Could do with some clear evidence what this approach will include to convince the naysayers (Telegraph included) but imo we have to fully commit.  No half hearted efforts but real intention, sponsored campaigns etc and involve new faces (Pearce, Adams, Warrington, Barton even Prince Harry).

For a few years I’ve hope we could produce video that compares to the quality of All or Nothing and Friday night Lights. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-league/2019/01/26/super-league-sets-create-rebellious-soul-superstars-launches/

I like what he says. Id have liked to have seen that rebelious soul come across in the launch video tbh, instead of what looked like a State of Mind video with people sitting staring into the abyss in the dark. Im not making that point lightly by the way, it did come across more as a charity promo than an exciting sports promo.

From the launch though, the mentions of it from attendees on Twitter seem to be that it was very polished, and the likes of Warrington, Pearce and Hanley do seem to have grabbed the headlines which is great - but it does somewhat pose the question about why we are not talking about our players instead. But time will tell whether they can come good on that one.

5 hours ago, Dave T said:

I like what he says. Id have liked to have seen that rebelious soul come across in the launch video tbh, instead of what looked like a State of Mind video with people sitting staring into the abyss in the dark. Im not making that point lightly by the way, it did come across more as a charity promo than an exciting sports promo.

From the launch though, the mentions of it from attendees on Twitter seem to be that it was very polished, and the likes of Warrington, Pearce and Hanley do seem to have grabbed the headlines which is great - but it does somewhat pose the question about why we are not talking about our players instead. But time will tell whether they can come good on that one.

Trying not to be negative but if new rules are going to be the sole part of the vision then that’ll never bring the younger generations into the game.  

Going to be interesting to see what’s next. I agree with the focus on players, but Pearce still has a following who respect his toughness in the game.  Maybe his views on RL can convert those.   I can’t see why the Connors, Johnstone’s,  Thompson’s and Burgesses can’t be part of regular showcases of the skills on show throughout media channels.

12 hours ago, Dave T said:

Fair comments.  I would say though that comparing it to a dark abyss is not at all unreasonable.  Players clubs and fans will all be on edge at the start of a new season. It's analogous to "the starting gun", where all the sprinters are tense at the start of a race.

My Shakespearean analogy to run such a video would be, "I see you stand like greyhound in the slips, straining upon the start. The games afoot..."

I have said for years we underplay that we are the rebel football code. We are the ones that told the establishment to stuff it. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

39 minutes ago, Padge said:

I have said for years we underplay that we are the rebel football code. We are the ones that told the establishment to stuff it. 

Yup, I think there is a really nice marketing angle there. A theme running through the game on an ongoing basis. Linking this with music, indie, rock n roll, punk etc. I think we can be a bit different, act rebellious.

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yup, I think there is a really nice marketing angle there. A theme running through the game on an ongoing basis. Linking this with music, indie, rock n roll, punk etc. I think we can be a bit different, act rebellious.

I agree with this, I think its a great marketing angle, I also sometimes think that we try to shy away from our roots as a game, the gritty nothern down to earth aspect can be used as a real positive if done correctly, one thing we as a game have always been terrible at is marketing our players (both past and present) yes there are a few idiot players in our game but the majority are down to earth, well rounded, sincere and obviously ultimate athletes all very marketable traits and we shouldn’t be shying away from the fact that many are working class lads from the north, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, in fact the opposite.

Sure Rob Elstone is aware of the continually growing trend of consuming sport on non-traditional platforms, so hope we can see SL engaging the younger generation with more content on social media and some creative thinking behind how as a sport we can maximise these platforms.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/social-media-sports-content-instagram-youtube

I would have thought creating new content is even more important with the sport being so locked into SKY. IGTV, Youtube etc essential to engage with the younger generation, and not just with live games, theres so much more. For some time i've thought IGTV could be a great vehicle for a short magazine show, and player interviews and even maybe something live from SL games. Talking about the game, engaging with fans etc. This is the sort of thing we should be doing now, for the 2019 season.

IGTV Launch video from last year below.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

21 hours ago, Dave T said:

Your a marketing genius Dave, I can hear the players running out to "Rock around the clock" and "Never mind the Boll**" being the half time music for the cheerleaders to dance to. Will you be rebellious and refuse to pay at the turnstile and  instead you and your mates give each other a leg up over the turnstiles wall, then a la rock and roll go rip up the seats in the stands..

If this is your marketing vision for the future then it appears you are stuck in the past.

Elstone has it right in terms of improving the product itself and taking all the mucking about whether the VR or the players time wasting out of the game. If they blared out real young persons music the game may find it loses more fans that it gains if anyone actually cares. Pop music being something Bulls tried years ago and nobody reacted to it.

If you like music plenty of bands and venues to go see it whether your 8 or 80. At this point Elstone can spout anything, let's not treat him as the messiah, let's just see how his ideas and policies go.

28 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

Your a marketing genius Dave, I can hear the players running out to "Rock around the clock" and "Never mind the Boll**" being the half time music for the cheerleaders to dance to. Will you be rebellious and refuse to pay at the turnstile and  instead you and your mates give each other a leg up over the turnstiles wall, then a la rock and roll go rip up the seats in the stands..

If this is your marketing vision for the future then it appears you are stuck in the past.

Elstone has it right in terms of improving the product itself and taking all the mucking about whether the VR or the players time wasting out of the game. If they blared out real young persons music the game may find it loses more fans that it gains if anyone actually cares. Pop music being something Bulls tried years ago and nobody reacted to it.

If you like music plenty of bands and venues to go see it whether your 8 or 80. At this point Elstone can spout anything, let's not treat him as the messiah, let's just see how his ideas and policies go.

Absolutely clueless.

There are endless examples of brilliant products failing to crack their market. Plenty of examples where weaker competitors win out, a large part being because they have great marketing strategies. Apple don't necessarily make the best products.

You don't get/like/understand marketing. We all know that about you, you have told us enough times. The it just makes you look ignorant.

We have spent decades tweaking the product believing the world will fall in love with RL, yet they don't. 

Your Bradford example is outright odd. 

1 hour ago, The Parksider said:

Who mentioned ‘blaring out music’?  

‘Linking’ music, historically, can be very successful.  Top Gear, Friends, GoT,  and Gogglebox are very much associated with music let alone Eastenders!

Archived