Programme Watch: Which clubs are issuing them in 2019?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Manxmanc said:

Noting some interest in the traditional programme, this might be a good spot to note which clubs are issuing them this year.

Perhaps, building up a list by league might be the best way forward, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

As far as I know, the only British clubs in the top three divisions of the pyramid who didn't issue any sort of printed programme in 2018 were Bradford (didn't they simply use the local paper?), Newcastle and West Wales. I spoke to one of the Newcastle comms guys before the recent Aussie Schoolboys game at Kingston Park, and he indicated fairly clearly Thunder don't have any plans to produce printed programmes. I guess we can count them out for 2019.

Looks as though York are continuing with a traditional programme. Their website includes one in various spectator packages for 2019. I'm sure Gav Wilson could confirm. York's programme improved no end as the 2018 season wore on. A very tidy issue by the finish.

Rochdale Hornets didn't produce a printed programme at the last game I went to. Does anybody know if they are producing one this season? It used to be a monthly edition. Great to hear Oldham are staying with tradition. I like to get to as many grounds as I can every season but, I won't go if I know there is no programme. Halifax programme was a pull out from the local paper last season but that is acceptable to me.

On 1/30/2019 at 9:52 PM, andyram said:

Dewsbury Rams will be producing a match day programme for 2019, all articles contributed by volunteers.

Good to hear.

As I expected they would, York have confirmed they'll continue issuing a 'physical' match programme this season.

Sheffield Eagles issued a 40-page programme (£3) for Sunday's (3/2/19) Championship opener against Swinton Lions. My man at the match reports only 12 pages had ("fairly boring") editorial content, with two more of fixtures/results. The rest were ads. He tells me Eagles' print run last season was 100, and the programme generally sold out well before kick-off. With cut-price admission against Swinton, and a big crowd expected, 400 were printed. He tells me "loads" were unsold.

4 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Sheffield Eagles issued a 40-page programme (£3) for Sunday's (3/2/19) Championship opener against Swinton Lions. My man at the match reports only 12 pages had ("fairly boring") editorial content, with two more of fixtures/results. The rest were ads. He tells me Eagles' print run last season was 100, and the programme generally sold out well before kick-off. With cut-price admission against Swinton, and a big crowd expected, 400 were printed. He tells me "loads" were unsold. 

I went to Sheffield .v. Swinton and got a programme. It was perfectly adequate. Where was this cur price admission - they charged me £17. Regarding the number of programmes printed. I have a lot of experience in organising programmes at amateur level and in my experience the number of programmes produced does not make a lot of difference to the cost. The cost is in the setting up of the programme and a lot depends on how many different colours are used.

3 hours ago, Celtic Rooster said:

I went to Sheffield .v. Swinton and got a programme. It was perfectly adequate. Where was this cur price admission - they charged me £17. Regarding the number of programmes printed. I have a lot of experience in organising programmes at amateur level and in my experience the number of programmes produced does not make a lot of difference to the cost. The cost is in the setting up of the programme and a lot depends on how many different colours are used.

There was a special offer. A fiver admission if bought in advance.

Swinton have confirmed they'll be issuing a printed programme for 2019.

Workington's website and Whitehaven's Twitter indicate both will be doing 'physical' programmes this season.

Batley have confirmed it's digital only for 2019 (their programme is available free - you can subscribe).

Swinton produce an excellent programme and I have paid a subscription to them for every home programme this season. I am gutted about Batley because I have always had a soft spot for the club and usually drive over 2 or 3 times each season. I won't be going now. Widnes are off my visiting list now as well.

14 hours ago, Celtic Rooster said:

Swinton produce an excellent programme and I have paid a subscription to them for every home programme this season. I am gutted about Batley because I have always had a soft spot for the club and usually drive over 2 or 3 times each season. I won't be going now. Widnes are off my visiting list now as well.

I guess NCL newcomers Batley Boys will be issuing programmes for their home games at the Mount. Watch them instead. :-)

St Helens are sticking with a 'physical' programme for 2019. Price is £3. Interestingly, Saints, supported by Saints Heritage Society, will be running a series of 'retro' covers throughout 2019. They're asking fans to send in their ideas (favourite covers from seasons past). Good to see that sort of engagement. For the season-opening Wigan game (31/1), in addition to the regular match programme, Saints produced 200 copies (available only from the club shop) with a one-off cover celebrating wing Tommy Makinson's 200th Saints appearance. Warrington Audi is the programme's season-long sponsor.

Fev have quietly dropped their physical programmes, which were great value at £1 for a big folded sheet - The Flat Capper -  last season.

It looks like they'll just be giving out photocopies of the squad lists and match officials this season,

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:58 AM, Hopping Mad said:

I guess NCL newcomers Batley Boys will be issuing programmes for their home games at the Mount. Watch them instead. :-)

I probably will, when they play Salford City Roosters. Batley Boys, Drighlington and Hensingham are the only NCL grounds I have never been to.

Archived