Programme Watch: Which clubs are issuing them in 2019?

For all of you groundhoppers and other curious fans with no match to go to, on any given Saturday and in need of the accompanying proper match programme,  I am delighted to inform you that Bramley Buffaloes will,as usual, be producing a quality match programme. With an amber and black cover the programme will include the usual history, club and league stats, match reports, other Bramley news together with the regular look at the state of the game in "The "."oval world of Harry Bradshaw. Bramley's first home match at Bramley Phoenix RUFC Warrels Ground, is on Saturday  9th March, at home to Wibsey Warriors , in the Yorkshire Men's League Forty -Twenty Cup.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I am well thanks. Still follow the posts on this forum. But am currently very busy as Chair of the Hunslet Club (the broader club which includes not only the highly successful rugby league but also many other sports from football, boxing, gymnastics, dance etc). And I remain an active role at Bramley Buffaloes including programme contributor and seller 

17/2/19, Betfred League One

Oldham v Workington Town: 24 pages (only three of them ads) for £3. Nicely designed and decent content. Image on the front cover is of Oldham celebrating with the Law Cup after beating local rivals Rochdale Hornets. The centre-spread of this issue was given over to pictures from the match.

Oldham_RLFC_Match_programme_cover_scan,_24pp_(£3)_versus_Workington_Town_League_One,_28-32,_765_17-02-19.jpg

4 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Leigh are digital only this season. Their programme is available as a free download. 

Shame that. I can drive to Leigh in 15 minutes and usually get to 2 or 3 matches a season. I have sometimes called in there and bought a programme while on my way to a different game. I expect I will still be able to get programmes when I visit Leigh East and Leigh Miners but the professional club in the town are now off my visiting list.

On 2/18/2019 at 1:51 PM, Celtic Rooster said:

Shame that. I can drive to Leigh in 15 minutes and usually get to 2 or 3 matches a season. I have sometimes called in there and bought a programme while on my way to a different game. I expect I will still be able to get programmes when I visit Leigh East and Leigh Miners but the professional club in the town are now off my visiting list.

Apparently, Leigh sell a thousand programmes per game in Super League. Sales drop to 200 in the Championship. For the latter, a loss of hundreds of pounds, I gather, is made on each match. When the club asked to get in touch anybody wishing to subscribe to a 2019 print programme, only 12 did. That's why Leigh are digital only this season. The first, free digital issue (versus Toulouse) had 1,200 downloads.

I understand why they are stopping printing programmes Hopping Mad but It's been part of my match day tradition since my first match in 1971, plus, I collect them. I won't go to grounds where no programme is sold and if that becomes every club - I will find something else to do on a Sunday. Yes, I am that bloody minded! Clubs used to make money through advertising but many clubs can't afford marketing managers anymore to bring in the advertisers. Please keep the info coming. Do Catalans have a programme this season? I would be very upset if I went there and got no programme.

4 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Castleford have been plugging their "new" monthly magazine, Roar. No mention of a match programme - for 2019, at least - on the club's website or Twitter feed. Be amazed if they're doing both.

Cas.jpg

The mag replaces the matchday programme.

5 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Meh.

This, then, is how things stand (further information welcome):

Still in print (programme for individual matches): Barrow (£2.50), Coventry (£2), Dewsbury (£2.50, 24pp), Huddersfield (£3), London Broncos (£3, 40pp), London Skolars (£2.50), Oldham (£3, 24pp), St Helens (£3), Salford (£3), Sheffield (£3, 40pp), Swinton (£3), Toulouse (price n/k), Whitehaven (£2.50), York (£3, 26pp)

Still in print (monthly magazine): Castleford (Roar, £1), Hull (The 18th Man, £1), Hunslet (South of the River, price n/k)

Still in print (matchday information sheet): Doncaster (two sides of A4, 50p)

Still in print (local newspaper insert): Bradford, Halifax, Wakefield

Digital only: Batley (free to download), Hull KR (register for free download), Leigh (free to download), West Wales (free to download)

No programme of any description: Featherstone, Newcastle, Widnes

To be confirmed: Catalans, Keighley, Leeds, North Wales, Rochdale, Toronto, Warrington, Wigan, Workington

Thanks for that info Hopping Mad. Doesn't look like I will be going to as many Salford and Swinton away games as I thought I would this season. Clifford, I have 119 Rochdale Hornets programmes going back to 1947. Many of the later ones are monthly editions , covering 3 or 4 games which is acceptable to me. London & Sheffield were doing programmes that covered more than one game many years ago. I only got to one Hornets game last season and there was no programme of any description. I managed to get a team sheet though.

Archived