2021 World Cup venues announced

HP Beans

1 hour ago, Penno said:

Just a thought but wouldn't it be better where possible to hold the games at rugby grounds that are owned by rugby clubs? 

Why?

52 minutes ago, HP Beans said:

I would have held 1 game at each stadium in Cumbria,rather than 3 in Workington.

A chance to give all three clubs a boost??

That wouldn't have been enough of an incentive to get the investment and commitment to build Workingtons new ground though would it.

8 hours ago, Penno said:

Don't really see when lots of clubs are on the bones of their ass, in giving revenue to football grounds or councils, but only my opinion.

How many 10,000+ pure RL grounds are there? I know Workingtons ground is going to be less than that but like I said, its pretty clear that it was chosen as a venue in order to get it built. That's a much better legacy than holding a game at CP.

Considering that every game is going to be shown on the BBC. Modern venues show that we're a modern sport.

Smaller niche group games in the heartlands and then take the bigger "event" games further afield in attempt to grow. 

Not too far though as government funding was given on the basis that 80% of games would be held in the "northern powerhouse"

10 hours ago, tec said:

When is Workingtons new stadium due to be finished ? 

Spring 2021. I would have thought they'd put a Plan B in place in the event that it doesn't get built.

13 minutes ago, scrumhalf said:

you wont get 10,000  at some of the smaller games so craven park could have been used

Good ambition 3 years out....

Then maybe Barrow should have put a bid together. Then you'd know the reasons it wouldn't have been chosen

nowt to do with ambition england v russia in 2000 at knowsley rd drew 5736 the matches against lesser teams will not generate the same interest as bigger clashes its a fact of life. I didnt know clubs had to bid I thought the rfl just picked them wigan didnt get selected I wonder if it was because they never submitted a bid(unlikely) or because they broke the salary cap

The lowest attendance of any game held in England during the 2013 rlwc was 6041. (Scotland - USA)

The average attendance at group games was around 11500 (not including the opening game at the Millenium Stadium). So to play at Barrow would be a lack of ambition.

Whilst Worky will only have an 8000 capacity, their bid to host games is supported by the massive investment and legacy boost that the stadium will bring.

Maybe when the rlwc comes back to England our council and investors would be willing to support a bid to be a venue with a £15mil stadium

Apparantly Wigan only bid for a quarter final game. So they were competing directly with Bolton.

Roll on Sunday.... we'll be able to talk about rugby again

So the Women's matches are just being used as "curtain raises" for the Men's games? Genuine question as I don't know the answer, but if not there is no reason that 10,000 capacity will be required.

To be honest I think that nothing looks worse than a half empty stadium on TV to show how unpopular a game is.

And just for clarity I am not saying that Barrow should or shouldn't have held a game, but that where a suitable rugby league ground was available the RFL should have supported their own clubs and used it.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:49 PM, NWDuk said:

Why?

That wouldn't have been enough of an incentive to get the investment and commitment to build Workingtons new ground though would it.

I didn’t realise it was all about Workington,I’m unsure if Barrow even bid for any of the group games?

Maybe a joint Cumbrian bid would have been good,Workington have already held a few Internationals.Share it out I say!

Archived