World Cup venues announcement

Very professionally done, excellent choice of venues and I really like the way the wheelchair and womens competitions are not being treated as add-ons. I'm assuming there's some constraints around the northern powerhouse funding and of course, we don't know what sweeteners various local councils have put in.

If we have a few womens/mens world cup double-headers, I assume we'll double count the attendance for the purposes of grossing up the attendance figures ? ?

I hope there's funding and a strategy in place to win the women's world cup.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the venue choices are excellent - in terms of delivering the 'Northern Powerhouse' concept but also building on successes the game has had in expansion areas. Kicking off in Newcastle is huge IMO and capturing a stadium like the Emirates is beyond what I expected. 

My only small gripe (which I'm never going to be able to see past sadly) is we're still going to be playing some of the games at stadiums that don't/can't have full 100m fields. I just think it looks a bit unprofessional with the short 10m lines between the 30 and 40. I guess that's a (small) price to pay for the stadia we're getting in return though, so i'll try and get over myself. 

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think the whole announcement and presentation has been great and a major step up on what we have been used to. It feels far more prestigious and feels like the tournament has stepped up a few levels.

I think Newcastle for the opener is great and in many ways was a no brained. A big stadium and certainly big enough to make an impact and get the tournament off to a good start whilst not too big to have empty seats. Arsenal for a semi is a great choice too. A good spread of games should mean we aren't relying on the same fans too.

It seems strange no Wigan, particularly from an attendance point of view and this is all the more strange when there is a game in Leigh. Im also not sure about a game in Workington, purely as I think the stadium is way off World Cup standard, but can see why they want a game in Cumbria.

Leigh is a smaller stadium, therefore a lesser game played there suits better. 

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Well we should be able to sell that out at least!

You say that but it's the hardest one to travel to by a considerable margin.

I look forward to it and I think the new stadium will be a boost for the area. 8000 is about right considering the travelling required

2 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

My only small gripe (which I'm never going to be able to see past sadly) is we're still going to be playing some of the games at stadiums that don't/can't have full 100m fields. I just think it looks a bit unprofessional with the short 10m lines between the 30 and 40. I guess that's a (small) price to pay for the stadia we're getting in return though, so i'll try and get over myself. 

I agree with this. It's a pain. But given what we have access to, I don't see how we can ever change that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Do we know the projected capacity of the new Workington stadium? I cant imagine its gonna be that big.

I've seen 8000 suggested in the local press, not sure if they are planning to be able to raise that temporarily 

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Did they bid and what package did they put to the organisers.

This is not Justus going renting stadiums.

Exactly. For example, if the Donny stadium is being provided free of charge, or the council has paid to host the fixtures, or has offered to provide accomodation & training facilities for several teams for the duration of the event,  whereas Wigan (for example) said the cost is £25k and we need to see what the football fixtures are first, then it's a no-brainer. I just hope Merseyside police have been consulted in case there's a darts match on at the Black Horse at the same time.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

If it is then fair enough but I don't think it should be a location if there is no new stadium.

Well, the point is that now the local council have bid for and won the right to host games based on there being a new stadium they are pretty much compelled to go ahead and build it now. The RLWC isn't just about attendance numbers, its also meant to be about building a legacy. What better legacy from this RLWC than Cumbrian RL having a new modern stadium which may revitalise the game in this area ?

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

All in all, very happy with that.

There will always be those saying we have condensed the game too much in the north while at the same time an expanded world cup will draw criticism saying the game is being taken away from its fanbase.

I think the right balance has been struck with some big games in Manchester, Liverpool, London and Newcastle while plenty of RL heartlands will see lots of rugby.

The only problem is that it seems a long time away!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just done a quick bit of maths.  If we sell out the following matches:  Final (OT), both semis (Elland Rd and Emirates) and England's group match in Sheffield, then we're talking about a total of 220,000.  That leaves a remaining 530,000 to reach the target, which means the other matches need to average:  19.630.

I think it's looking more and more achievable, it's only the smaller grounds (Leigh, Workington etc.) that could put this in jeopardy.

5 minutes ago, gordontrevor said:

Im also not sure about a game in Workington, purely as I think the stadium is way off World Cup standard, but can see why they want a game in Cumbria.

It will be a brand new 8000 capacity stadium so hopefully will be of the required standard!

1 minute ago, langpark said:

That leaves a remaining 530,000 to reach the target, which means the other matches need to average:  19.630.

Are you including attendances for the womens and wheelchair games?

43 minutes ago, Cdd said:

Also don’t see the point in Workington, at a time when we should be massively growing the profile of this tournament surely there are better fits than Cumbria.

West Cumbria did ok with the Four Nations and the last world cup.

As someone else has mentioned its now a great oppertunity to push on with the new stadium. Something a few Super League clubs have struggled to achieve.A chance to give the game in the region a boost and actually leave a legacy .

With four national conference clubs in West Cumbria (outside the two local semi pro sides)  its as  good a "fit" as some of the other venues announced  and for games between the lesser nations the new community stadium should be bouncing.

Who can forget the atmosphere when Scotland upset the Kiwi's.

Just goes to show how some people forget the game is actually still being played in our north west outpost. ?

20 minutes ago, langpark said:

That's disappointing.  Hopefully they target a bit of growth there now in the build-up to the World Cup.  Personally, I don't agree with having a match in a place with (almost) zero RL presence.  Would have seen more benefit in moving it up to Kingston Park in Newcastle, where they amateur game is thriving at the moment (yes I know, SJP got two games, but still).

I worked in Middlesbrough for five years in the early 1990s. There is virtually no interest in rugby league in the town. Teesside Steelers ARLFC, based at Billingham RUFC, were quite successful for the short time they existed. On the plus side, Teesside is sports mad. Depending on the fixture, I can envisage a big crowd at the Riverside Stadium.

6 minutes ago, NWDuk said:

You say that but it's the hardest one to travel to by a considerable margin.

I look forward to it and I think the new stadium will be a boost for the area. 8000 is about right considering the travelling required

I just say we should be able to sell it out cos in 2013 they got 7,600 and 7,300 for the two games there so you would think 8,000 would be a pretty easy sell.

Just now, JonM said:

Are you including attendances for the womens and wheelchair games?

No, just calculating men's matches.  750k is the target, across the 31 matches.

Great to see there are no double-headers either!  Women's matches as curtain-raiser is fine, but not other men's matches IMO.

3 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Well, the point is that now the local council have bid for and won the right to host games based on there being a new stadium they are pretty much compelled to go ahead and build it now. The RLWC isn't just about attendance numbers, its also meant to be about building a legacy. What better legacy from this RLWC than Cumbrian RL having a new modern stadium which may revitalise the game in this area ?

I completely agree and it will be fantastic if a new stadium is indeed built for the World Cup which will benefit the game in Cumbria. That will be a real legacy and will benefit the game greatly. However 2 years isn't that far away and if worse comes to worse and there is no new stadium then that should mean no World Cup games for me.

Just now, Hopping Mad said:

I worked in Middlesbrough for five years in the early 1990s. There is virtually no interest in rugby league in the town. Teesside Steelers, based at Billingham RUFC, were quite successful for the short time they existed. On the plus side, Teesside is sports mad. Depending on the fixture, I can envisage a big crowd at the Riverside Stadium.

I'm looking forward to it, I love going to new stadiums to watch rugby.

Although there isn't much presence in Teeside there is a lot close by, In and around Newcastle, Peterlee, Catterick, Scarborough and let's not forget it's an hour up the road for us from York. Can't wait.

Archived