World Cup venues announcement

Will be purchasing a few tickets, the lad will be 7 by then and will be fulled indoctrinated. Poor lad. Sad to see no game at Rochdale after such a great atmosphere at the last WC there and 3 at Leigh which is a swine to get to without a car, which I did once, never again.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Seems very condensed in small areas.

Everyone from Widnes, Saints and Warrington going to have to travel past an empty DW Stadium to get to Bolton.  Clearly the RFL are intent on helping Headingly pay off it's mortgage out of its £25 million bung from the govt. Allegedly. 

Delight at seeing there will be a game at the Emirates slightly dampened by there not being one at Wembley. But from the point of view of a southern RL fan, Cov isn't too far and Doncaster takes no time at all from London if you get the 'right' train, so I'm not too disheartened.

16 minutes ago, Quinskolar said:

A northern game , for northern people. This map demonstrates it perfectly. 

I know i am "up north" but i dont actually have a major issue with the spread. I agree I would have liked to see Bristol with a game and they have missed a trick potentially with Jamaica. however, its not a long shlep from London to Coventry, Sheffield or Doncaster which I think is a positive. and Sheffield is right by the train station which is 2 hours and change from St Pancreas.. which isnt too bad.

Play to the strength with a bit of controlled spread is a wise way to go (especially when thats what the funding tells you to do).

1 minute ago, RP London said:

I know i am "up north" but i dont actually have a major issue with the spread. I agree I would have liked to see Bristol with a game and they have missed a trick potentially with Jamaica. however, its not a long shlep from London to Coventry, Sheffield or Doncaster which I think is a positive. and Sheffield is right by the train station which is 2 hours and change from St Pancreas.. which isnt too bad.

Play to the strength with a bit of controlled spread is a wise way to go (especially when thats what the funding tells you to do).

Basically ignore a market of 20 million people, seems a sure win strategy. You are not going to get people who have never seen an RL game to travel to a game two hours away.  

2 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Few surprises, but all in all not too bad. Would have preferred a game in Cardiff (for instance) over Middlesborough.

I agree, they are actually interested in rugby in South Wales. Half baked selections. Reeking of politics.

Just now, Quinskolar said:

Basically ignore a market of 20 million people, seems a sure win strategy. You are not going to get people who have never seen an RL game to travel to a game two hours away.  

to be fair you dont get them travelling 30 minutes often! 

they are concentrating on quite a large market too.. rather than spreading potentially too thinly, but as i say i would have liked to see a game in Bristol and a Jamaica game in London and its a shame they havent been able to/cant get those or that those areas are not interested enough/didnt bid

Its a fine balance but as has been mentioned already the funding from the govt is from the Northern Powerhouse with stipulations.. 

34 minutes ago, Quinskolar said:

Big opportunity missed. A Jamaica game in London or Bristol would have guaranteed a decent crowd but Doncaster? 

London or Bristol ...not really league areas so why do you reckon all these Jamaican's will all of a sudden get out and support their team.

Doncaster (according to wiki) has a "Noteable" Jamaician community,as does Huddersfield and Leeds who will have had some exposure to the game  and are within driving distance to Donny.

So maybe Donny is more suited to host Jamaica ??

Not sure how you know Jamaica will play at Doncaster anyway ??

Maybe Coventry will host a Jamaica game ..Birmingham just down the road has a 35,000 Jamaican community.

Clutching at straws.

Tried to carry out a bit of a comparison from 2013.

Cardiff - replaced by Newcastle. Positive.

Sheffield and Bolton replace Hudds and Hull for England. Positive as a bit more ambitious. Small for Bolton, but then we will play a minnow.

Replaced less successful 2013 grounds like Wrexham, Neath, Hull KR, Salford and Limerick with other newer places like Coventry and  Middlesborough plus some tried and tested grounds like Wire and Saints. 

Replaced some successful small grounds like Bristol, Halifax and Rochdale with larger grounds like Doncaster and Leeds.

For the quarters, we have gone from Leeds, Wrexham, Wigan and Warrington to an ambitious Liverpool and three larger grounds for the other games. 

Semi finals - replaced 90k capacity at Wembley with a slightly larger two ground setup. Pretty bold and maybe risky!

Final - OT again. Disappointed personally, but i can see why it is there. 

7 minutes ago, RP London said:

If I look out of my upstairs window I can see the south coast. That's how northern I am.

The spread of games is fine. Our funding depended on delivering a primarily northern competition. We have done that and without an ironic flatcap in sight, but with ambition and celebration.

I'd love for there to be games at the Amex, at Bristol, in France, in Ireland, in Cardiff ... but either those towns didn't bid, or their bids didn't fit, or the commercial reality of the competition couldn't accommodate them.

I won't tell anyone to stop moaning but I will tell people to focus on the reality of needing this to be even more successful than 2013 in terms of bums on seats and cash in the bank.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Exactly. For example, if the Donny stadium is being provided free of charge, or the council has paid to host the fixtures, or has offered to provide accomodation & training facilities for several teams for the duration of the event,  whereas Wigan (for example) said the cost is £25k and we need to see what the football fixtures are first, then it's a no-brainer. I just hope Merseyside police have been consulted in case there's a darts match on at the Black Horse at the same time.

Bolton is a football stadium.  Middlesbrough.  Newcastle. Elland Rd. Anfield. Old Trafford. Emirates.

Where are Huddersfield... the origins of the game.

And of course one ground that is free is Wembley...     As I say, riddled with politics. 

Edit...  See now that the spreadsheet shows Huddersfield,  another football ground.

31 minutes ago, Quinskolar said:

A northern game , for northern people. This map demonstrates it perfectly. 

A condition of the government's £10m funding for the tournament was that >80% of the games have to be staged within the government's designated "Northern Powerhouse" area.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

2 minutes ago, Derwent said:

A condition of the government's £10m funding for the tournament was that >80% of the games have to be staged within the government's designated "Northern Powerhouse" area.

And given the real need for jobs and investment across the north I have no problem with rugby league playing a part in promoting domestically and internationally what these places have to offer.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Bolton is a football stadium.  Middlesbrough.  Newcastle. Elland Rd. Anfield. Old Trafford. Emirates.

Where are Huddersfield... the origins of the game.

And of course one ground that is free is Wembley...     As I say, riddled with politics. 

whats wrong with a football stadium being used? plenty of our clubs play out of multipurpose stadiums ( that they dont own). 

One thing seemingly forgotten is if the clubs want to stage the games... 

Wembley for example may well struggle with the NFL games already booked in in advance (which i think they have a contract for) and getting the pitch ready/suitable for games.

2 hours ago, Cdd said:

I’ll be going to as many games as possible.

BUT

No games at Wembley is a very poor decision.

No games in Wigan is a very poor decision.

Not building on the success of Bristol in 2013 is a very poor decision.

2013 we had games at The Millenium Stadium and Wembley and now we’ll be at Brammal Lane and Middleborough instead. Weird choices.

Also don’t see the point in Workington, at a time when we should be massively growing the profile of this tournament surely there are better fits than Cumbria.

In bold - in your opinion. Given the government funding on the basis of it being underpinned by the Northern Powerhouse, southern venues were always going to be limited.

Why is Wigan more deserving than, say, Saints?

Yes, we had Millennium and Wembley, but if you're going to compare like for like, for opener (single game rather than  double header) we have SJP and for the semi (again, single venue) we have the Emirates

I suppose it was always going to be a bit disappointing to have such a restrictive WC but understand why, due to the funding stipulations.

Would have been nice to have games in every English region and a few more destinations. Let's be real your not going to get tens of thousands of familes and general sport fans spending weekends in Leigh, Warrington, St Helens and Doncaster for example.

2 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Just one, I think. Teesside University has a rugby league team, though judging by recent stats it's having trouble raising a XIII.

Ive been a student there for the last 7 years and they have always struggled

2 minutes ago, philipw said:

In bold - in your opinion. Given the government funding on the basis of it being underpinned by the Northern Powerhouse, southern venues were always going to be limited.

Why is Wigan more deserving than, say, Saints?

Yes, we had Millennium and Wembley, but if you're going to compare like for like, for opener (single game rather than  double header) we have SJP and for the semi (again, single venue) we have the Emirates

Totally agree, yes we had bigger grounds in 2013 but we had 30,000 empty seats in Cardiff and 23,000 empty seats in Wembley. St James' and Emirates, which will be England games, are more likely to be filled.    

Archived