World Cup venues announcement

3 minutes ago, Jack Russell said:

No game at Wigan can only come down to the cost of renting the stadium. It seems to get snubbed on a fair few occasions.

Aren't they in the same borough/council as the Leigh stadium? So they would likely have put a bid in perhaps for group games at Leigh and QF at Wigan perhaps but only got the first

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RP London said:

whats wrong with a football stadium being used? plenty of our clubs play out of multipurpose stadiums ( that they dont own). 

One thing seemingly forgotten is if the clubs want to stage the games... 

Wembley for example may well struggle with the NFL games already booked in in advance (which i think they have a contract for) and getting the pitch ready/suitable for games.

There is nothing wrong with football stadiums being used. If you go back to the comment I was answering, it was suggesting the DW was not selected because of possible conflicts with football.  But loads of matches are as we see are at football grounds. 

Is it seriously been suggested that that a fee of £25k from the (Chinese) DW owners has scuppered the venue?  

If they sell out the grounds any complaints about being mostly in the north will soon be forgotten. If they don't sell enough tickets they will deserve any flack they get.

That said, places like Liverpool, Bolton, Newcastle and Middlesbrough are still expansion areas and perhaps a better choice than totally new locations given their proximity to the heartlands. People will travel.

54 minutes ago, Quinskolar said:

A northern game , for northern people. This map demonstrates it perfectly. 

Look at the Union WC in 2015, it had 3 'Northern Venues' which only hosted 6 (group) games out of 48 total of which 1 was a dead rubber between England and Uruguay on the same night as the GF. Its clear that the funding directive behind this bid has hit its ability to spread a lot. Whilst I agree with the sentiment that I would have liked more games south of Sheffield, I don't think other than the south west like Bristol or Gloucester we'd have seen another city added to the list. It would simply be another London game/venue and another game for Coventry. 

6 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

There is nothing wrong with football stadiums being used. If you go back to the comment I was answering, it was suggesting the DW was not selected because of possible conflicts with football.  But loads of matches are as we see are at football grounds. 

Is it seriously been suggested that that a fee of £25k from the (Chinese) DW owners has scuppered the venue?  

sorry i misread what you were saying.. 

very possible if other grounds arent charging a fee i suppose.

4 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Local MP doesn't seem happy.

I suspect it's politics that means no games for Wigan.

In the overall reach of the competition though, I don't think it really matters.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

I suppose it was always going to be a bit disappointing to have such a restrictive WC but understand why, due to the funding stipulations.

Would have been nice to have games in every English region and a few more destinations. Let's be real your not going to get tens of thousands of familes and general sport fans spending weekends in Leigh, Warrington, St Helens and Doncaster for example.

I don't really understand this argument. If it's the whole weekend away, why not spend the weekend in Liverpool or Manc?  Google maps tells me it's less public transport time from Liverpool Lime St to the Select Security Stadium or the Totally Wicked stadium than it is from Kings Cross to Wembley. Same goes for Piccadilly to the Halliwell Jones. Leigh and Doncaster are tougher to argue for, admittedly...

Just now, gingerjon said:

In the overall reach of the competition though, I don't think it really matters.

I agree. Decisions have been made, so now it is down to the sport to promote itself (and the launch this morning was a great start IMHO) and for us fans to do our bit too.

3 minutes ago, zorquif said:

I don't really understand this argument. If it's the whole weekend away, why not spend the weekend in Liverpool or Manc?  Google maps tells me it's less public transport time from Liverpool Lime St to the Select Security Stadium or the Totally Wicked stadium than it is from Kings Cross to Wembley. Same goes for Piccadilly to the Halliwell Jones. Leigh and Doncaster are tougher to argue for, admittedly...

Doncaster is 20 minutes from York on train, and the added bonus of the women' semi-finals too.

In fact York is a fantastic place to base yourself.

Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Sheffield 1hr, Hull, Leeds, Doncaster and Huddersfield under an hour, London (Kings Cross) and most of the Lancahsire grounds 1.5-2hr.

Cov and Worky a bit further afield but in all York is this best placed city to be in ?

No I don't work for Visit York, but seriously if you are around the North with good rail links close by you've fell lucky here.

42 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

And of course one ground that is free is Wembley...     As I say, riddled with politics.

Not sure I get your point here. Wembley costs £750k to hire. I seriously doubt that Brent council is interested in stumping up money to host even a world cup  fixture.

Just now, Mattrhino said:

That was the same on BBC sport news, no interest or mention of any other venue

Well I mean they're not going to put a full list in the headline are they. But as a headline to run with I think its telling that this is what is being done.

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I suspect the deeply unhelpful attitude of the football club for previous rugby league events might have played a part, but we have no idea how their bid stood up against the ones put in by Bolton, Huddersfield etc. so it's all speculation.

14 minutes ago, zorquif said:

I Don't want to be a grinch, there are some great locations but I'm not going to convince the wife to go to Leigh, Donny, etc.. But she would more than happy to go to Emirates, SJP even Workington I could sell due to proximity to the lakes.

I Don't think the selling points of going to games should be that were not too far away from nicer places.

6 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

I Don't want to be a grinch, there are some great locations but I'm not going to convince the wife to go to Leigh, Donny, etc.. But she would more than happy to go to Emirates, SJP even Workington I could sell due to proximity to the lakes.

I Don't think the selling points of going to games should be that were not too far away from nicer places.

Well, I don't think anyone is spending the weekend in Brent if they come to London for the weekend and to watch a game at Wembley

Initial thoughts...the opener at Newcastle is great as is having an England game in Sheffield.

I'm a little unsure about Bolton having an England group game. I would rather this have gone to a bigger city such as Bristol or London (disappointing to see the former miss out and the latter only host 1 match).

I like the Emirates hosting a semi final. It's headline grabbing and should comfortably sell out. I would like to have seen Wembley, but the Emirates is equally acceptable.

Old Trafford is a safe bet for the final.

Good that there has been reasonable attempts to expand outside the heartlands without being overly ambitious. That being said, the lack of Bristol and second London game is puzzling.

Finally, here's hoping that 3 games in Cumbria and a new stadium can be a springboard for the sport in that area.

Archived