World Cup venues announcement

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I think it has been worked out at around a total capacity of 775k. That means we have opportunity to hit the 750k. We should be going all out for full houses.

That is more than I expected, is this just across the men's tournament or all 3? It is a much more upbeat day and feel than I was expecting. I think it will potentially be an amazing few weeks. I think if we had done the right things here since 2013 we could have gone even bigger! But it is obvious that isn't going to happen sadly.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

% sold is not an issue. We could stage every game in 10k grounds and sell 100%. 

It doesn't really matter whether the 750k people we are looking to attract are crammed in or rattling round a stadium, it will still be 750k sales. But one would look far better and give a better image. A little like the Grand Final gives a far better portrayal of the game than Wembley is at the moment.

9 minutes ago, JonM said:

It will be easily achieved by summing up the attendances across the 3 tournaments.

So 75 000 watching the mens final, 75 000 watching the womens final gets you 20% of the way there.

You're not seriously counting the double-header as a 150,000 crowd are you!?

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

That is more than I expected, is this just across the men's tournament or all 3? It is a much more upbeat day and feel than I was expecting. I think it will potentially be an amazing few weeks. I think if we had done the right things here since 2013 we could have gone even bigger! But it is obvious that isn't going to happen sadly.

I think it was just for the mens comp.

I think we can be confident of substantial growth on 2013, the most successful WC ever. We should remember that as good as RLWC2013 was, we had some pathetic events that time. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The RFL are hosting this tournament, although they have setup a separate organising committee. 

The RLWC CEO is Jon Dutton who has been at the RFL for a while now.

They've still only done their job ... so far. The bar was ridiculously low so anything was going to be better, yes it was well done but high praise seems a bit OTT IMHO, especially since the real graft starts from now onwards.

We can judge on that, and the numbers they can attract to the games AND the media attention/national attraction and further on from that growth of the gzme.

Too many false dawns I'm afraid for me to get the bunting out just yet for the organisers of our sport.

7 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

They've still only done their job ... so far. The bar was ridiculously low so anything was going to be better, yes it was well done but high praise seems a bit OTT IMHO, especially since the real graft starts from now onwards.

We can judge on that, and the numbers they can attract to the games AND the media attention/national attraction and further on from that growth of the gzme.

Too many false dawns I'm afraid for me to get the bunting out just yet for the organisers of our sport.

I don't disagree with the general point, this is just the start, but we can compare with what has happened before, and this is night and day. 

I would say though, that the 2013 WC was well run in large parts, with venues announced 2 years in advance, but we are ahead of where we were then. In 2013, we didn't have these levels of government funding, and we scrapped around for a broadcaster, with Premier taking the rights. We are seeing progress, that is all that is being applauded.

Pleased with all the venues, they should deliver a memorable set of tournaments and get some new people interested in the sport.

Excellent ambition shown for the womens and wheelchair tournaments. Last time the tournaments were staged in the UK, Medway Park in Gillingham was the venue for all the matches. It is an international class sporting venue and indeed the home of England Wheelchair Rugby League. However its capacity can be no more than 500 people at best, down just one side of the pitch. Next time around for the Wheelchair players, they will play at EIS Sheffield, a major venue for indoor athletics and basketball plus The Copper Box (capacity 7,000) and possibly the leading indoor sports venue in the UK. (I personally have seen there international games/competitions in basketball, netball, volleyball, handball, badminton, taekwondo and boxing. Then there is the final at Liverpool Arena (capacity 11,000) which is where this year's netball world cup and a future gymnastics world championship will be staged.

Similarly the women last time played at Dewsbury, Featherstone, Batley and Hunslett. 2021 they will be playing in York, Headingley, Anfield and Old Trafford. Hopefully the crowds can meet the increased capacities, if people turn out in numbers then league can lay claim to having the best womens world cup in rugby. The last two times that the other code's women's world cup were staged on British soil, the venues for the finals were Kingspan Stadium in Belfast and the Stoop. So if you are a female rugby player and want to play at the biggest most iconic stages in the world, the you need to be playing league!

The excitement in York at being chosen to host the Womens World Cup

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Why do football fans always say that rugby will wreck their pitches? Plenty of rugby games get played week in week out at plenty of football grounds and the pitches are just fine. 

Indeed both Man Utd u23s and Man Utd Ladies play at the LSV and there`s nothing wrong with the playing surface. 

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

32 minutes ago, langpark said:

You're not seriously counting the double-header as a 150,000 crowd are you!?

If I'm selling sponsorship or telling the government what good value they got from their £25 million, damn right I am.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

What crowds Doncaster get is irrelevant really. They aren't being offered World Cup games each week.

My personal preference would have been no more than 2 games at any ground, but I suspect the likes of Wire, Saints, Leigh, Workington should sort themselves out with their organising committees doing the promo. Same with Leeds, Hull etc.

This allows the organising committee to focus resources and attention on the places like Liverpool, Newcastle, Coventry, Middlesborough, London.

Thank you! I've been following this thread and have failed to understand why Donny has had a few negative comments. The ground has successfully staged a few internationals and major games. The transport infrastructure is excellent and, most importantly, the council and the club successfully staged what the organisers have described as an excellent bid. Perfect sized ground for group games not involving the big 3/4 teams.

4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The only advantage I can see in taking 3 games to the same venues in the group stages, is it narrows down the number of places money needs to spent on marketing, before the tournament.

Having said that selling 3 group games in Doncaster is going to be tough, what sort of crowds do Doncaster get?

Both Castleford Tigers and Wakefield Trinity backed the Doncaster bid so it is hoped  their supporters plus many others will travel to Doncaster. One of the best connected towns in the UK by road and rail so accessible to a lot of traditional supporters plus new supporters in Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire where it is the nearest ground.

4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The only advantage I can see in taking 3 games to the same venues in the group stages, is it narrows down the number of places money needs to spent on marketing, before the tournament.

Having said that selling 3 group games in Doncaster is going to be tough, what sort of crowds do Doncaster get?

9 hours ago, Quinskolar said:

Big opportunity missed. A Jamaica game in London or Bristol would have guaranteed a decent crowd but Doncaster? 

Exactly, I was talking to the Jamaican winger at Skolars last Friday, he'd literally just arrived in England November/December (wasn't enjoying the cold weather.lol) there's a huge WI community in London, I can't believe we're not having one of their games in London, it's a poor decision IMHO.

9 hours ago, yanto said:

London or Bristol ...not really league areas so why do you reckon all these Jamaican's will all of a sudden get out and support their team.

Doncaster (according to wiki) has a "Noteable" Jamaician community,as does Huddersfield and Leeds who will have had some exposure to the game  and are within driving distance to Donny.

So maybe Donny is more suited to host Jamaica ??

Not sure how you know Jamaica will play at Doncaster anyway ??

Maybe Coventry will host a Jamaica game ..Birmingham just down the road has a 35,000 Jamaican community.

Clutching at straws.

PROMOTION OF THE GAME! Jesus wept, narrow thinking chippy northerners outdoing themselves yet again

Not happy in Pieland -

https://www.wiganwarriorsfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36033

Complaining money is going to football club owners whilst complaining there aren't any games at the DW is cognitively dissonant although I fear we're not dealing with the intellectual end of the Wigan fanbase here.

Impressed that they can see the invisible hand of Hetherington in this though.

11 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Rugby league in London in 2021 at international level is this game. Let's be there.

Totally agree, looking at it from this end of the country, this is a big statement at a top class modern venue. Lots of opportunity to invite friends, relatives and work mates to sample RL and have a good day out. I am sure it will help to boost interest in the London clubs too.

9 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Interesting that Hull didn't get many, guessing the recent attendances there would have counted against them perhaps.

I reckon the organisers will look to sell some 3 game packages for those at the likes of Leigh, Doncaster etc.

ONE poorly advertised match that was affected by there being a game in Leeds in the series, 17k for that but all the others of recent times have had near sell outs barring a few seats. lowest was 20k in 2007.

There certainly needs to be professional and sustained marketing of all the games, but no giveaway prices, that's the last thing that should happen. They need to sell the game and make people want to go and pay the ticket price unless there's a discount for bulk sales through schools etc.

KCOM att.JPG

2 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

ONE poorly advertised match that was affected by there being a game in Leeds in the series, 17k for that but all the others of recent times have had near sell outs barring a few seats. lowest was 20k in 2007.

There certainly needs to be professional and sustained marketing of all the games, but no giveaway prices, that's the last thing that should happen. They need to sell the game and make people want to go and pay the ticket price unless there's a discount for bulk sales through schools etc.

KCOM att.JPG

The games at Craven Park massively underperformed in the 2013 World Cup and the last four nations as well though so, fairly or not, there's been a perception of a pattern in the city in recent times.

11 minutes ago, M j M said:

Not happy in Pieland -

https://www.wiganwarriorsfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36033

Complaining money is going to football club owners whilst complaining there aren't any games at the DW is cognitively dissonant although I fear we're not dealing with the intellectual end of the Wigan fanbase here.

Impressed that they can see the invisible hand of Hetherington in this though.

The tantrums from Wigan way have been an unexpected bonus in today's announcements.

Wigan fans will have plenty of opportunities to watch World Cup rugby: there are games in Manchester, Liverpool, St Helens, Bolton, Leigh and Warrington.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I suspect that it hasn't been decided yet but does anyone know if there will be any midweek games (I think like last time) or if it will all be squeezed into Friday evening to Sunday evening? 

Also, generally very happy with the selection. Potentially would have liked a bit more variation, so not 3 games at saints, Warrington, Donny etc but still very excited. 

I recall the organisers saying there will be midweek games 

Found the quote in the Sky press release

Unlike the 2017 tournament held in Australia, there will be midweek matches to maintain interest throughout the event and officials plan to recruit 1,500 volunteers to staff games.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

As I understand it the major flaw in the Wigan bid was that they only went for 1 game (1/4 final). I struggle to see what else they could have bid for. The stadium is too big for minor group games but too small for a 1/4 final. This is the advantage grounds like LSV, Keepmoat etc have. They bid for games appropriate to the size of the venue. Why crowbar Wigan in when there are so many venues already in easy distance of the area?

Archived