World Cup venues announcement

42 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Did they bid and what package did they put to the organisers.

This is not Justus going renting stadiums.

Good point, I know Hull City Council had to bid to be a host. The organisers didn't just ask them if they fancied putting a game on.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, NWDuk said:

781,000 capacity just for the mens games.

Interesting venues for the womens and wheelchair games too. I'm super excited

2021.PNG

there actually seems to be a plan... a big venue for a qf and sf and the other venue not so big.. england go to the big venue and the pressure is off selling the smaller with 2 none british teams.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Donny gets three games.

KCOm gets a group and a quarter

Great stuff.

Family members in Sheffield and London can also expect a visit.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

45 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

You can get there on Northern, granted they are old pacer bone rattlers but still better than Hull trains! ?

We'll be all right. The dispute on Northern might just have been settled by then and Hull Trains will have their new fleet (fingers crossed).

5 minutes ago, NWDuk said:

You're assuming nobody will turn up for the womens or wheelchair events?

The small venues will sell well in my opinion. 2013 showed that there was a lot of interest in watching the smaller teams play. The finals and SFs should be ok. I think we need to be pushing on the QF events and the larger capacity group games. 

I think it's a cracking line up. Good announcement. Shows an ambitious intent without being ridiculous

I just mentioned the wheelchair games at the Copper Box to Mrs Ginger and she is now demanding we go as a family and see who else wants to come along.

So ... some wheelchair sales that will not be replicated for the men’s games.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Mattrhino said:

Do we think we can get anywhere 135,000 punters for 9 games over a few weeks in St Helens, Warrington and Leigh all within 20mins drive of each other?

Yeah. I got swept up in it during the 2013 tournament. 

I'll be at all 9 games if fixtures allow. 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

If anyone has watched the NZ and Oz women’s games they should be flocking to see them to . They are tough competitive and quality entertainment 

Agreed - but that's the sell for the hardcore RL fan - the people on this forum etc.

For the WC to be a success, the bulk of tickets will have to be sold to people who don't watch RL week-in week-out. The people who want to be part of a big event.

Your primary school teacher who has no clue about rugby but has to have all of the girls and boys in her class play tag rugby for a term as part of the national curriculum doesn't care how good the teams are. She cares about it being safe and easy to take a class of kids along to watch and the young women in the white shirt being articulate and good role models, doing something traditionally only men did etc etc. If the school doesn't want to do an out-of-hours trip, make it so they can sell bulk tickets and get a commission or freebies for volunteer adults or whatever.  You can turn it up a bit further when the event starts - what school wouldn't want a woman from say the PNG or Fiji national team at assembly one morning?

Just now, hrtbps said:

For the map fans, here's how the spread of World Cup venues looks: 

rwc.png

That's good. As much as people will insist on complaining that it is, THAT IS NOT, heartland focused.

The smaller (niche) games will sell well where we have solid support for the game. Then we take the "event" games on tour

1200 likes to this tweet already

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

1 hour ago, Cdd said:

I’ll be going to as many games as possible.

BUT

No games at Wembley is a very poor decision.

No games in Wigan is a very poor decision.

Not building on the success of Bristol in 2013 is a very poor decision.

2013 we had games at The Millenium Stadium and Wembley and now we’ll be at Brammal Lane and Middleborough instead. Weird choices.

Also don’t see the point in Workington, at a time when we should be massively growing the profile of this tournament surely there are better fits than Cumbria.

Plenty of point in coming to Workington!!  A massive League area that needs a shot in the arm, plus a new 25 million pound stadium to showcase. Look after the foundations to keep the house up.

4 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Do we think we can get anywhere 135,000 punters for 9 games over a few weeks in St Helens, Warrington and Leigh all within 20mins drive of each other?

Population of over 4 million people within 20 mins drive of those venues. At least 70 000 of which have watched live RL in the past couple of years (probably a lot more.)

If it's organised as well as the 2013 WC was, then no problem. If it's organised the way England games since 2013 have been, no chance.

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I just mentioned the wheelchair games at the Copper Box to Mrs Ginger and she is now demanding we go as a family and see who else wants to come along.

I asked my wife if she'd fancy a few days in the Lake District (taking in the games at Worky, obviously) and she was delighted. The offer of a weekend in St. Helens or Doncaster wasn't quite so well received ?

1 minute ago, JonM said:

I asked my wife if she'd fancy a few days in the Lake District (taking in the games at Worky, obviously) and she was delighted. The offer of a weekend in St. Helens or Doncaster wasn't quite so well received ?

you've obviously "married up" ?

If possible, I would happily go to every game in the tournament.

I just hope that the fixtures allow for people to be attending multiple games. 31 games over 36 days means there are going to be days with multiple games. Hopefully they're not in Workington followed by Doncaster

1 minute ago, NWDuk said:

If possible, I would happily go to every game in the tournament.

I just hope that the fixtures allow for people to be attending multiple games. 31 games over 36 days means there are going to be days with multiple games. Hopefully they're not in Workington followed by Doncaster

Quite a few midweek games as well which rules them out for me seen as I work evenings, although I might not be in the same job then of course, so it looks like Im getting to as many games on weekends as possible but that might mean I get to travel round a bit more and visit quite a few different stadiums.

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Pretty good so far! Not sure about 3 games at donny but I suppose we can't hope for massive attendances for something like Jamaica v Lebanon. 

Big opportunity missed. A Jamaica game in London or Bristol would have guaranteed a decent crowd but Doncaster? 

Archived