Rochdale away

graham fisher

Wasn't this your opening fixture last season? I always predict a loss for the Rams and you always disappoint so I'm going for a Dewsbury win 14 - 18

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

7 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

Wasn't this your opening fixture last season? I always predict a loss for the Rams and you always disappoint so I'm going for a Dewsbury win 14 - 18

Not sure now,you could be right which is a rare possibility ?but if I remember rightly it was postponed due to the weather. We did play them a couple of seasons ago first game which we lost 48-0?that’s  when Morrison decided to bring 4/5 Wakefield players in.

With all the anticipation (there is some, surely?) for the start of a new season, I just hope the weather doesn’t spoil things on Sunday.

Last year’s encounter was postponed because of a terrible pitch and the football club wanted to ensure their FA Cup tie against a Premier League club went ahead. 

Assuming we are almost at full strength (Johnson out most of the year, Andrade and Reilly back soon and Ward suspended,  I also get the feeling that Simon Brown might not be quite fit), I wonder if this might be the line-up:

1 Morton

2 Gabriel

3 Leeming

4 Ryder

5 Brown, Alex

6 Sykes

7 Thomas 

8 Sheriffe

9 Day

10 Richardson, Toby

11 Walshaw

12 Knowles 

13 Trout

14 Igbinedion 

15 Mackay

16 Garratt

17 Ray

I hope for an opening victory:

Richdale 20-28 Dewsbury 

FTS:  Walshaw

MoM: Thomas

Att: 602

Legs, Dews, Legs.

2 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

With all the anticipation (there is some, surely?) for the start of a new season, I just hope the weather doesn’t spoil things on Sunday.

Last year’s encounter was postponed because of a terrible pitch and the football club wanted to ensure their FA Cup tie against a Premier League club went ahead. 

Assuming we are almost at full strength (Johnson out most of the year, Andrade and Reilly back soon and Ward suspended,  I also get the feeling that Simon Brown might not be quite fit), I wonder if this might be the line-up:

1 Morton

2 Gabriel

3 Leeming

4 Ryder

5 Brown, Alex

6 Sykes

7 Thomas 

8 Sheriffe

9 Day

10 Richardson, Toby

11 Walshaw

12 Knowles 

13 Trout

14 Igbinedion 

15 Mackay

16 Garratt

17 Ray

I hope for an opening victory:

Richdale 20-28 Dewsbury 

FTS:  Walshaw

MoM: Thomas

Att: 602

Morton needs to be on Wing.  Rob Worrincy on other side.

Knowles should be at 13,  we have approximately 32 second rowers and he has the ball skills to make him a good 13 IMHO.

Whoever start I cant see the debacle of 2 years ago being repeated but who knows?  So many changes every year its impossible to know whether this is a game we should win or not but given it is expected to be one of the more likely to be won I would have preferred Ward and Andrade to be fit.. Starting the season with yer best players out is so typical of our luck..

Rochdale haven't exactly surprised anybody with the quality of their signings so this will undoubtedly be a game between two teams expecting to struggle this year. Both sides will approach the match as a "must-win" which can work both ways.

Not knowing what LG's team will be and being unsure about our creativity I feel that the result will hinge upon defence, and ours always leaves me feeling anxious. Games between the two sides have thrown up many surprises over the years (remember 1981?) so predictions must be based upon faith rather than science. I reckon that the game could go either way but will retain my usual blind optimism and predict:

Rochdale 18 - 25 Dewsbury

Att: 645

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

8 hours ago, NickD said:

Knowles should be at 13,  we have approximately 32 second rowers and he has the ball skills to make him a good 13 IMHO.

Whoever start I cant see the debacle of 2 years ago being repeated but who knows?  So many changes every year its impossible to know whether this is a game we should win or not but given it is expected to be one of the more likely to be won I would have preferred Ward and Andrade to be fit.. Starting the season with yer best players out is so typical of our luck..

I’d prefer Morton on one wing and Worrincy on the other, with Thomas at full back, but my selection was based on what I think Lee Greenwood might select given injuries to players and possible unavailability of some, e.g. Worrincy who could be working. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:00 PM, NickD said:

people keep talking about the size of the squad. out of the 32 we have  there is  only about 25 that can compete  at championship level at present.

6 hours ago, EQUALIZER said:

people keep talking about the size of the squad. out of the 32 we have  there is  only about 25 that can compete  at championship level at present.

Id be surprised if we have 25 ...we will see as the season progresses but I'll be v pleased if it turns out to be 25...

1 hour ago, NickD said:

Id be surprised if we have 25 ...we will see as the season progresses but I'll be v pleased if it turns out to be 25...

I take it your talking about your away support Tranquiliser?

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

9 hours ago, Sir Jekyll Stocking said:

I think BSJ and GOR were actually fighting over Heworth, DD.

Not Acomb.

I certainly wouldn't bother fighting BSJ for a comb, my top just requires a wipe over with a damp cloth these days. BSJ on the other hand has an inexhaustible supply of hairs to split.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

3 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

I certainly wouldn't bother fighting BSJ for a comb, my top just requires a wipe over with a damp cloth these days. BSJ on the other hand has an inexhaustible supply of hairs to split.

Oh, I don't know about inexhaustible but.............................

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Well just logged on to Rochdales twitter page ... no news yet!! Is it on.. is it off??  .. either way it would be good if we could be advised as early as is realistic .. and certainly today!  Please no repeat of the other years shenanigans when we all got there in the snow to be told it had been postponed ... 

14 minutes ago, EQUALIZER said:

wont be on.

You are probably right .... I just want to know officially!!   The thing that I don't understand is they said an inspection would take place at 12 today ....  its now nearly 4 and no updates of any kind!!  Why are we treated like mushrooms???

Archived