Sun 3 Feb: Betfred Championship Round 1 Match Thread 

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

Full time: Bulls 17 Featherstone 16

Good game, far more entertaining that it had any right to be considering the conditions.

It was sooooooo coooooold. I wimp out these days and sit down undercover, and that was bad enough. My feet have just about thawed out now. Fair play to those who braved it on the open terrace.

Slightly odd to see the Rooley end behind the sticks open again for the first time in a long time and the main terrace closed, I'm assuming it was due to the weather rather than a regular plan, though it would be great if they were both open and full of fans at some point this season.

Roll on the warmer weather.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bomb Jack said:

Widnes' crowd was 4,200.

Better than some Widnes crowds in SL last year. 30+ min queue for tickets. It was freezing.

Maybe Anthony Gelling's marketing campaign is having some effect?

sh

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Interesting results today

Leigh beating Toulouse - didn't see that coming! Sheffield absolutely smashing Swinton - looks like a long season for Swinton! And a great win for Barrow at Batley.

I didn't think Toronto looked all that hot to be honest, although they got the job done in the end. York won't be anyones pushovers this year either.

I expected us to have a really close one with Featherstone, and it was. Glad we played them at the start of the season, because they are only going to improve as the season goes on.

Bit colder in Leigh than Toulouse :)

1 minute ago, Bolton Leyther said:

The effect of actually having something to play for.

I think more the effect of James Rule finally leaving. Some worrying rumours about the situation he's left behind though.

9 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Anyone know what the cumulative average attendance record over a season is for the second division as a whole simce 1973?

I wonder if it might get beaten this year?

Aggregate Championship crowd of 17,826 from six matches, so near enough a 3000 average. Rugby League is back.

2 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Doubt the RFL could afford a hologram, it was probably just a cardboard cut out

Imported from Lamport?

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Better than some Widnes crowds in SL last year. 30+ min queue for tickets. It was freezing.

Maybe Anthony Gelling's marketing campaign is having some effect?

sh

God bless him, but he's a loon. Good old MotP!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 1/30/2019 at 8:13 PM, Kayakman said:

I think they are too and i just know they are going to have a good year!   I hope its a close one but they just might blow it open......never know though.  Too bad the new stadium wasn't built...would like to see that (just might someday). 

How many people will be there?...hope it comes off on the TV.

Toronto looks like a top ranked team with a new coach and philosophy.....quicker, faster, stronger....smarter!  Be ready.

The new stadium is in the construction phase now. Read more about it https://yorkcityknights.com/community-stadium/

The capacity will be 8,005 ! It will host Rugby, Soccer, all kinds of community sports and activities, retail and leisure opportunities. These guys have ambition and are planning for a sustainable long term future, deeply embedded in their local community. A superb business model worthy of looking at for other clubs.

I watched the match on TV this afternoon. Considering York have just been promoted from League 1 and Toronto were knocking on the door of Super League last season; I thought York  gave a good account of themselves, defended admirably and gave the visitors a hard game. Congratulations to Toronto for their perseverance and strength, they had to dig deep but they got the result.

Looking forward to more good sport from both of these teams this year.

3 hours ago, Michael Gledhill said:

Aggregate Championship crowd of 17,826 from six matches, so near enough a 3000 average. Rugby League is back.

2 hours ago, Bolton Leyther said:

Do you have the aggregate attendance figure for last season's first round of fixtures by any chance?

I was thinking “That's optimistic” but then recalled I have them. Tragic, I know.

I have 10,304 in 2017, average 1,717 for six matches. Bear in mind one of those opening six matches was held later in the season. I've included it in the stats. It also included Leigh v Toronto which contributed close to half of the total.

So 2018 is off to a cracking start. Of course RL in the UK is not all about SL. Just no one tell the SL clubs that. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

11 minutes ago, RayCee said:

I was thinking “That's optimistic” but then recalled I have them. Tragic, I know.

I have 10,304 in 2017, average 1,717 for six matches. Bear in mind one of those opening six matches was held later in the season. I've included it in the stats. It also included Leigh v Toronto which contributed just over half of the total.

So 2018 is off to a cracking start. Of course RL in the UK is not all about SL. Just no one tell the SL clubs that. 

You do realise it's 2019 don't you? And neither Leigh nor Toronto were in the Championship in 2017?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

31 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

You do realise it's 2019 don't you? And neither Leigh nor Toronto were in the Championship in 2017?

I was rushing. It's 2018 I meant to say. I also have to revise the figures anyway. It was 12,044 average 2,000. Still well up for 2019. 

2 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Yes, but you fail to take into your equation Clubs promoted and also demoted. Bradfurt  are back in Championship which adds to your attendance figure quite considerably.

I understand that, but the question asked was how does it compare with the first round of the previous season.

The previous three years when Bradford was in the Championship, the average attendance figures for the seasons were 2,000 or less. Of course, first round attendances are always higher than the full season average so only time will tell on that one. Still, a 3,000 average is a very good start.

Archived