Sun 3 Feb: SL: London Broncos v Wakefield Trinity KO 3pm

Who will win?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• London Broncos
    • Wakefield Trinity

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/02/19 at 15:00

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

The only way Wakefield can lose is if they beat themselves - complacency is the big risk and its caught us out in the past.

Looking at the London team I just can't see a SL team. I'm all for the underdog and I know teams prove the pundits wrong but IMHO this is the weakest team I've ever seen in the top comp.

We could lose this one but only if we don't turn up with the right mindset - nervous, you bet I am.

A team never 'beat themselves', either they play poorly and the opposition play better or there is a accumulation of injuries, sending off (poor play again) or some really heinous decisions by the officials.

I hate it when a team loses against so called lesser opposition they apparently always played badly, not enough credit is given to winning teams for shutting them down in defence and making good plays in attack, it doesn't always have to be spectacular, just effective to win the game.

19 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

A team never 'beat themselves', either they play poorly and the opposition play better or there is a accumulation of injuries, sending off (poor play again) or some really heinous decisions by the officials.

I hate it when a team loses against so called lesser opposition they apparently always played badly, not enough credit is given to winning teams for shutting them down in defence and making good plays in attack, it doesn't always have to be spectacular, just effective to win the game.

Generally I agree and having been a victim of this mentality ourselves I know how it feels. However in this case its different as it was for Trinity in our first few seasons in SL. Like London we really were miles off player wise and most Trinity fans will admit that most of our early SL victories were a mixture of blood and guts and catching the opposition cold. We beat the Bulls one year but they won the title yet even in my most patriotic moments I know who the better team were and that they were not at their best that day. Now its different for us IMO and it does annoy, we may not be the Bulls of old but we are still pretty decent.

Like it or not that's the truth, that's the grey area in your theory - there are I'm afraid no black and whites in life there are always the grey bits.

Call it arrogant if you wish but its not its just realism. If Trinity play to their true potential ie as good as they were at their best last season then London won't be able to live with them no matter how well they play and that applies to all the other SL clubs they will come across this first season. You simply can't become that good that quick.

If it helps I'll re-phrase a little, London could win this game, nay they could easily win this game if - one, they play as brilliantly as they are able and 2 - the controversial bit - Wakefield don't play as brilliantly as they are capable of.

It's pure logic I'm afraid but it doesn't lesson the result. You can only play whats in front of you and if London are more up for it then they deserve to win and get all the credit due them regardless of the grey bits.

I'd have no issue because as I say Ive seen us do it.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:30 PM, Kirmonds pouch said:

The only way Wakefield can lose is if they beat themselves - complacency is the big risk and its caught us out in the past.

Looking at the London team I just can't see a SL team. I'm all for the underdog and I know teams prove the pundits wrong but IMHO this is the weakest team I've ever seen in the top comp.

We could lose this one but only if we don't turn up with the right mindset - nervous, you bet I am.

There is more than a hint of irony there isn't there? 

How can you say complacency is the biggest risk and then within two sentences say London look like the worst team in top flight history? 

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Generally I agree and having been a victim of this mentality ourselves I know how it feels. However in this case its different as it was for Trinity in our first few seasons in SL. Like London we really were miles off player wise and most Trinity fans will admit that most of our early SL victories were a mixture of blood and guts and catching the opposition cold. We beat the Bulls one year but they won the title yet even in my most patriotic moments I know who the better team were and that they were not at their best that day. Now its different for us IMO and it does annoy, we may not be the Bulls of old but we are still pretty decent.

Like it or not that's the truth, that's the grey area in your theory - there are I'm afraid no black and whites in life there are always the grey bits.

Call it arrogant if you wish but its not its just realism. If Trinity play to their true potential ie as good as they were at their best last season then London won't be able to live with them no matter how well they play and that applies to all the other SL clubs they will come across this first season. You simply can't become that good that quick.

If it helps I'll re-phrase a little, London could win this game, nay they could easily win this game if - one, they play as brilliantly as they are able and 2 - the controversial bit - Wakefield don't play as brilliantly as they are capable of.

It's pure logic I'm afraid but it doesn't lesson the result. You can only play whats in front of you and if London are more up for it then they deserve to win and get all the credit due them regardless of the grey bits.

I'd have no issue because as I say Ive seen us do it.

How often do any team play to their full potential though, hardly ever. So if you don't play to 100% of your potential then according to your thinking you've 'beaten yourselves', that's just silly isn't it?

55 minutes ago, Quinskolar said:

I think this will be put on the wall in the Broncos dressing room. Motivation is a wonderful thing. 

Just to point out. I'm not sure what you have done with the quote function but you have made it look like it was me that said that. 

Fwiw I think you will struggle and will finish bottom, but I don't agree that you will be anywhere near the weakest team ever in the top comp. Even in the SL era there are a number of sides that I think you will surpass. 

2 minutes ago, MZH said:

Just to point out. I'm not sure what you have done with the quote function but you have made it look like it was me that said that. 

Fwiw I think you will struggle and will finish bottom, but I don't agree that you will be anywhere near the weakest team ever in the top comp. Even in the SL era there are a number of sides that I think you will surpass. 

Sorry I attempted to pull the quote and somehow it came out like that. My bad. 

We should win, and well but you never know - especially with it being the first game of the season. 

I obviously want a Trinity win but would like to see the Broncos do well this year so wouldn't be too gutted if they got the win.

Broncos to start well (from Round 2!) please. 

Wakefield team named today -  FWIW

Ryan Hampshire

Ben Jones-Bishop - Bill Tupou - Reece Lyne - Tom Johnstone

Danny Brough - Jacob Miller

Tinirau Arona - Matty Ashurst - Justin Horo - Craig Kopczac - Tyler Randell -  Anthony England

Subs: George King - Jordan Crowther -  David Fifita -  Kyle Wood

Joe Arundel/James Batchelor

I'd expect Arundel and either Batchelor or Crowther to miss out, Ive just gone for Crowther.

Weather will be ok on Sunday - On paper Wakefield - who have been a top 5 side the last two seasons - should win comfortably by 20 points.  Games are not played on paper though and its XIII plays XIII on the field.

Theres a secret unspoken fear that this year will be a repeat of 2014, but I would say that Danny Ward has the Coaching nous to avoid that fate. The pace of super league will come as a shock to some of the more leaden London stalwarts as will the lack of practice against super league sides.

What the coaching staff will do is measure performance in this game, if the Broncos lose heavily then there is a problem if the club loses by around 1-8 points or even squeaks a win then there is something to build on. You will have an idea by the third week of super league, just how competitive the Broncos are at this level.

Me tipping the Broncos is fatal for the clubs prospects, so continuing in my contrarian ways it's Wakefield by 22...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

11 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Wakefield team named today -  FWIW

Ryan Hampshire

Ben Jones-Bishop - Bill Tupou - Reece Lyne - Tom Johnstone

Danny Brough - Jacob Miller

Tinirau Arona - Matty Ashurst - Justin Horo - Craig Kopczac - Tyler Randell -  Anthony England

Subs: George King - Jordan Crowther -  David Fifita -  Kyle Wood

Joe Arundel/James Batchelor

I'd expect Arundel and either Batchelor or Crowther to miss out, Ive just gone for Crowther.

I think Batchelor will start... and King at Loose Forward... Arona, Fifita, Crowther and Horo on the bench... 

Wood and Arundel to miss

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Rumours that Wakey are taking more than 800 fans down to Ealing. Is that right?

3 hours ago, Wollongong said:

I think Batchelor will start... and King at Loose Forward... Arona, Fifita, Crowther and Horo on the bench... 

Wood and Arundel to miss

780 but some also bought direct from London so possibly 800. That shouldn’t be a shock, Wakefields travelling support has always been decent it’s the home support that’s lacking a bit. I suppose it’s because most of Wakefield’s support is hard core, not many casuals at BV so a larger than normal percentage tend to travel.

Truth is most are that committed that I recognise many by sight when I travel,

Archived