Sun 3 Feb: SL: London Broncos v Wakefield Trinity KO 3pm

Who will win?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• London Broncos
    • Wakefield Trinity

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/02/19 at 15:00

Can only repeat the above from a London perspective, really great day all round.

Wakefield were a little limited in attack, big runners and then Brough launch a high kick. But they still scored enough to win most matches I guess.

For us, Abdull was superb. Chose the right option every time and I was also impressed by Fozzard at hooker. Battye a well deserved MOM though.

Good to see the stadium busy, overheard a Wakefield fan say he prefers it to the Giants where a big stadium is a quarter full, and I think that sums it up.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

How can you be British if you’re born in Belfast?   Ireland and Britain are two distinct separate islands! ?

And at a guess I’d say he’s probably Irish ethnicity not Ulster Scots ?

Ireland and Great Britain are both islands in the British Isles. The United Kingdom issues passports to its citizens of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Under the Good Friday agreement NI citizens are now allowed to claim UK, Irish or dual nationality.

5 minutes ago, TBone said:

Ireland and Great Britain are both islands in the British Isles.

I think it’s all a bit of banter so no one’s taking it too seriously, but I think British refers to Britain the Island and Irish refers to Ireland the island.

However, If we are going to sort this out we need to come to an agreement, preferably around Easter (say Good Friday?) and we need an intermediary... someone neutral.  Bill Clinton maybe?

8 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I think it’s all a bit of banter so no one’s taking it too seriously, but I think British refers to Britain the Island and Irish refers to Ireland the island.

However, If we are going to sort this out we need to come to an agreement, preferably around Easter (say Good Friday?) and we need an intermediary... someone neutral.  Bill Clinton maybe?

Could be a stain on his character, or perhaps a female acquaintance's blouse?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

51 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think you mean British Isles not Britain.

Great Britain = England, Scotland and Wales.

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island = above plus Northern Island.

British Isles (geographically) includes the whole of Ireland and the Channel Islands but is purely a geographical description.

Thanks for completely failing to recognise the greatest isle of them all in that... the ?? Isle of Man ...

Nobody wants us Manx!   Not since the vikings anyway. And they’re all about WIDNES these days.

7 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Isle of Man isn't British, it is only British Crown Dependency - bit like Barrow, its their but no one really wants to take responsibility for it.?

Any idea of the crowd today at London?

Enthusiastic, most had a good time excellent turnout from Wakie (apart from a few racist meatheads who broke a few seats).......if you want numbers about 2200 I believe

As a London fan just back from the match can I say this thread has given me almost as much pleasure as the game.....I presume all the Wakie fans are driving home and unable to post about their performance against the worse super League team ever who won't even win a game .

14 minutes ago, dredgie said:

apart from a few racist meatheads who broke a few seats

Without sparking a row about an alleged incident, what did they do that was racist? No need to repeat derogatory remarks on the web, but was it colour prejudice against players?   Not seen anything like that for years and would be ironic considering the ethnic make-up of the Trin squad.

Why break the seats? Or were they just sneaking a few out to take to Belle Vue ?

Getting to the ground I see the turnstyles not working , two tempoary stands separated looking like a prop with no front teeth. Wakefield scoring twice within the first 10 minutes, London pulling one back then knocking on from the restart and Wakefield taking advantage going 18-6 up and from that moment on London dominating the game.

I will state this on the board that was the most committed London performance in over a decade. London have had teams in Super League who have not deserved the support they got by contrast this side deserves more support than it's getting.

London beat a top five side slicing through their defence for eight tries to Wakefield's four. the big difference between the Championship is speed of thought and movement and London changed tack and adapted in game wheras Wakefield relied a lot on Fifita trundling up the middle. I think the team and their fans were stunned by the level of resistance and really did not try changing anything until too late.One ball steal by Jay Piits off Danny Brough was Gavin Clinch esque.

Massive result for London for a couple of reasons:

Firstly it demonstrates to the players we can compete in Super League. Wakefield are a top five club and got beat comfortably. For sure one game does not define a season but it's a start.

Secondly, whenever London have regenerated Dr Who like into a new ground or identity, apart from the Paris game back in 1996,, they have managed to be soundly thrashed acting as a disincentive for returning. For the crowd of 2,149 including 800 plus Wakefield fans, If you were a lapsed Bronco or a neutral and you did not want more of this then all I can say is Rugby League is not for you.

PS - Buck's Foal Dusty made a reappearance though both mascots looked a little malnourished.

PPS - who was the idiot who set of a firework at the back of the training ground during the second half..

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

29 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Isle of Man isn't British, it is only British Crown Dependency - bit like Barrow, its their but no one really wants to take responsibility for it.?

Any idea of the crowd today at London?

You may laugh at Barrow but they have more Trident nuclear submarines than Batley!!

3 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Yep, wiping the egg off my face as we speak now I've got home. 

After 15 mins and at 18-6 Wakefield clocked off, London got themselves up to the pace and played well and thoroughly deserved the win. My team were ######, no complaints about the defeat from me.   No.8 for London Eddy Battye was best forward on the pitch by miles.

4 hours ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Wakefields big pack could come unstuck with the new 8 subs rule

8 Sub rule didn't affect Wakefield.  They were poor for the last 65 minutes of the game.  No complaints from me about the loss. Beaten by a side who wanted it more.

1 hour ago, r1ch1e said:

For us, Abdull was superb.

I have been a big fan of Abdull since he made his Hull debut. Not always had the best attitude, but he has ability in spades. Was really disappointed that it didn't work out here. Without wanting to sound too much like Denton, Radford made a total mess of developing him. With a good coach who plays a style that suits him he can be a star. Hopefully that is at London. 

I'll not bother going through and picking the quotes, but in response to some bits.

1. Yes most of us were travelling back.  I've just got in.

2. Only one moron ridiculed the Broncos.

3. Summary of the game :  Danny Ward 1 Chris Chester 0

4. Brough; Offered no attacking kicking game, didn't even reach touch with one penalty, ball stolen from him far too easily, finally yellow card:     Summary:  Wakefield Fans 1 Chris Chester 0

5. Fans support has no effect on player performance. Today proved that.

Well played London.  Had they been playing any one else I would have loved it.

Onward and upwards.  That's me up the stairs to bed, not Wakey.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Yes it was a great afternoon. One of the most enjoyable Broncos matches I have watched. Good individual performances from Abdul, Battye and Pitts amongst others and a great team spirit evident. The new stand will make the ground far more suitable for Super League but it will still maintain the atmosphere.

I am wondering if the priority for London Broncos now should be to sign a long term deal to stay at the Trailfinders ground? 

Maybe 15-20 years at least perhaps? 

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

Wales would be an island if it wasn't having to keep holding England above the surface since Doggerland sank.

Out of the good of its heart, obviously.

?

There have been some very odd posts on this London vs Wakefield match thread.

It all felt very ominous on the radio when Wakefield ran into that early lead, and on paper they have a very strong side - pacy outside backs and a big pack. The short fast pitch at the Trailfinders is an interesting element though - you can work yourself into a decent position in a set of six even without a massive pack (though it does help), so on a dry day it can become a question of who can move the ball quickly enough in the last 20 to break the line.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

The short fast pitch at the Trailfinders is an interesting element though - you can work yourself into a decent position in a set of six even without a massive pack (though it does help), so on a dry day it can become a question of who can move the ball quickly enough in the last 20 to break the line.

The pitch is a big factor but it was still amazing to see Wakefield get blown away by London’s speed on the 4G as Championship clubs did by pretty much the same side last season. 

Do you see London picking up points away, though?

Great win for London.

Fingers crossed London fare better than their adversaries in 2003 for whom the away victory over London in their first game of the season was also their last, losing all of their remaining games.

Good luck London ?

Archived