Wigan deducted two points for salary cap breach

costa

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

leopards and spots

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

They do set a fabulous example.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Would be good to understand more on this one, hopefully they will be a bit more transparent following any appeal.

A breach of less than 1%, leading to a minor fine, suggests that a 2 point deduction is harsh. But I suppose we can't judge that until the circumstances are laid out, as intent plays a part in this.

Just now, Dave T said:

Would be good to understand more on this one, hopefully they will be a bit more transparent following any appeal.

A breach of less than 1%, leading to a minor fine, suggests that a 2 point deduction is harsh. But I suppose we can't judge that until the circumstances are laid out, as intent plays a part in this.

I remember Saints got a fine back in about ‘06 or ‘07 which was because of bonuses owed for players playing International games for GB (in that NZ game at Knowsley Road IIRC), nothing to try and gain an unfair advantage. 

What a farce !

Aren't we supposed to have a 'live' cap so why wait until now to implement the punishment. Surely they should have punished a 2017 breach during the 2018 season.

Those 2 points would have put wigan 3rd and not 2nd in the table meaning an away SF at Cas and not a home draw.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

5 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

What a farce !

Aren't we supposed to have a 'live' cap so why wait until now to implement the punishment. Surely they should have punished a 2017 breach during the 2018 season.

Those 2 points would have put wigan 3rd and not 2nd in the table meaning an away SF at Cas and not a home draw.

Yes, but if payments are made without being declared, then what can be done?

13 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I remember Saints got a fine back in about ‘06 or ‘07 which was because of bonuses owed for players playing International games for GB (in that NZ game at Knowsley Road IIRC), nothing to try and gain an unfair advantage. 

2003 wasn't it? Same year Halifax?

The rules the rule and I support the deduction but I can't see 6 individual payments totalling £14,700 being enough money to gain an advantage.

Looks like a technical breach which has been working its way through a load of appeal processes. Don't think applying it either live or last year would have changed their play off positions though? 

What it does tell us, which we could have guessed, is that Wigan seemingly more than any other club squeeze every last penny out of the available cap and so have zero margin for error. When viewed in that context it should be the very top priority of the people running Wigan to ensure they understand what relationship with the cap all the miscellaneous payments they are making have. 

Ultimately it's another error, albeit small in value, on the part of a club some people like to tell us is the best run in the game.

Wigan have responded;

https://wiganwarriors.com/news/2019-01-30-club-statement-tribunal-result

They claim the money was for agent fees and flight allowances. It does seem a harsh punishmentif (and a strong if) true but the rules are rules. It's quite clear that the amount breached is not to gain a competetive advantage.

58 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Toronto would never do such a thing...you people from Wigan!....things are certainly going to change next year when we get up there and start take control of things.

Next year? Is that a bit like how you only had turn up in the million pound game to beat London and take your place in Super League......remind us all again how that went :)

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

What a farce !

No it wouldn't. If the meaningless breach was done in 2017 then the deduction should have been in 2017 where we finished....... 7th. But that doesn't back up your argument does it so let's claim it should have been done last year when we finished 2nd (even though it still has no bearing) it is more damaging for us to have it done to us this year surely. We start with a deficit. Thats an advantage to the rest of the league and also an example to the rest of the league. It all comes down to admin errors effectively. We haven't cheated the cap as such but it really does broaden the 'salary cap' horizons as to what has to be declared as i had no idea. Puts a different slant on why fans of clubs are always exclaiming 'we must have cap space left!'

Disappointing yes but not really massive news.

46 minutes ago, dredgie said:

Next year? Is that a bit like how you only had turn up in the million pound game to beat London and take your place in Super League......remind us all again how that went :)

You seem to be stuck in the past looking backwards....getting a permanent kink in that foam neck of yours....we look to the future.....we will do it this year....

Archived