Match Thread Bradford Bulls v Featherstone Rovers Sunday 3rd Feb 2019

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And we're back to competitive fixtures. Persistent moaning about the ref, the away grounds, the prices, opposition players, welcome back! ?

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

12 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

As seen by Liverpool's first goal tonight.... officials sometimes get clear cut decisions wrong. Great if your a Liverpool fan. Sheeite if your a hammers or city fan.

Sometimes they go for us. Sometimes they don't.  Sheeite happens 

Quite. See Cameron King's try awarded by Ben Thaler last week, the ball never got within a foot of the ground!

The main factor is that Fev lost by a point and that try or no try as it was,was influential to the result. Had we been beaten by 40 points it would never have been a talking point. Human nature to nit pick in a tight game though and given the refs position shows up some of their inadequacies. The thing is that we should really forget about it now because nothing will change the result and the law of averages says that some club will be robbed against us in due course.

19 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

True. When was the last howler that we got the benefit from in a competitive game though?

You mean in a tight competitive game where it actually swung a close result?

We may be here all night trying to recall one of those that went our way in recent times.

1 minute ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

By the same token how many have gone against us

Hmmm, I seem to remember a game against Bradford about 30 hours ago. That's one.

The infamous penalty call versus Fax is another.

The blatant forward pass in the build up to the try that ultimately gave Hull KR an undeserved draw at PO Road a few seasons ago.

42 minutes ago, Phil Loxton said:

The main factor is that Fev lost by a point and that try or no try as it was,was influential to the result. Had we been beaten by 40 points it would never have been a talking point. Human nature to nit pick in a tight game though and given the refs position shows up some of their inadequacies. The thing is that we should really forget about it now because nothing will change the result and the law of averages says that some club will be robbed against us in due course.

I've never seen that law of averages apply to Fev. I've said for years that we seem to either win well or lose tight games.  I think we're still paying for 1983.

5 minutes ago, Adam B said:

Hmmm, I seem to remember a game against Bradford about 30 hours ago. That's one.

The blatant forward pass in the build up to the try that ultimately gave Hull KR an undeserved draw at PO Road a few seasons ago.

I'm sure there are as many gone the other way, it's just we remember the ones that go against us more - just like coincidences are always remembered and not the routine. 'They' really aren't out to get us.

40 minutes ago, Adam B said:

I can still remember how stunned Duckworth looked when he was fortuitously awarded a try in that Hull KR game...and as for Fax, we have had any number of decisions go our way at the Shay in recent years...Briggsy's questionable match-winning try from the up and under, a disallowed try from (I think) Ben Johnston when he clearly grounded it, a dubious forward pass when Thacks scored. People tend to forget the decisions that go in our favour much faster than the ones that go against us.

3 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Sometimes fate goes with us.

Indeed it does Col, however by my recollection the ledger of good fortune in crucial tight games is going to take some balancing.

Now please excuse me while I don my bacofoil beanie.

14 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I can still remember how stunned Duckworth looked when he was fortuitously awarded a try in that Hull KR game...and as for Fax, we have had any number of decisions go our way at the Shay in recent years...Briggsy's questionable match-winning try from the up and under, a disallowed try from (I think) Ben Johnston when he clearly grounded it, a dubious forward pass when Thacks scored. People tend to forget the decisions that go in our favour much faster than the ones that go against us.

You're watching a different game to me.  Some tight calls mentioned here maybe but I'm talking about key decisions that are clearly wrong and referees 'finding' penalties against us / ignoring those that could be awarded to us WHEN IT MATTERS.  The last time this debate kicked off was Fax at home 2015 and some said then that things even themselves out.  Well I'm still waiting for that.  (Don't give me Dewsbury at home 2016 - we won that fair and square by a late Danny Craven drop-goal.   Laughably even in that game the ref found time to give Dewsbury a last minute penalty kick at goal to win it back - but they missed)

On Sunday once we pulled it back to 16-16 the remaining penalties were 3-0 to Bradford.  I seriously can't comprehend us getting an easy time of it like that in a tight finish.  We could have had any number of penalties in that time when you look back at it. 

I'm off to compile some stats...........

15 hours ago, RobLambert said:

I've never seen that law of averages apply to Fev. I've said for years that we seem to either win well or lose tight games.  I think we're still paying for 1983.

Come off it, there's no conspiracy. 

Sunday was a howler of a mistake. Nothing more, nothing less.

I really don't understand why so many of my fellow Rovers fans have such a victim complex.

Even the penalty goal that won us the game in 1983 was dubious.  You'll never convince me that Charlie Stone headbutted Pete Smith.

You win some, you lose some. C'est la vie

44 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

You're watching a different game to me.  Some tight calls mentioned here maybe but I'm talking about key decisions that are clearly wrong and referees 'finding' penalties against us / ignoring those that could be awarded to us WHEN IT MATTERS.  The last time this debate kicked off was Fax at home 2015 and some said then that things even themselves out.  Well I'm still waiting for that.  (Don't give me Dewsbury at home 2016 - we won that fair and square by a late Danny Craven drop-goal.   Laughably even in that game the ref found time to give Dewsbury a last minute penalty kick at goal to win it back - but they missed)

On Sunday once we pulled it back to 16-16 the remaining penalties were 3-0 to Bradford.  I seriously can't comprehend us getting an easy time of it like that in a tight finish.  We could have had any number of penalties in that time when you look back at it. 

We got an absolutely massive call at 16-10 down on Sunday. Fifth tackle about 40m out, a bit of grappling either way, Brad Day grabs the Bradford player's shirt, there's a bit of a tangle, the ref gives us the penalty, Day is falling about laughing and we score the equalising try a couple of tackles later. Was this, then, an absolutely clear example of the corrupt RFL being massively biased against Bradford at a crucial stage of the game?

52 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Come off it, there's no conspiracy. 

Sunday was a howler of a mistake. Nothing more, nothing less.

I really don't understand why so many of my fellow Rovers fans have such a victim complex.

Even the penalty goal that won us the game in 1983 was dubious.  You'll never convince me that Charlie Stone headbutted Pete Smith.

You win some, you lose some. C'est la vie

That's exactly what I'm saying - he didn't head-butt him.  That was 35 years ago and we've not had a call like it since !

1 hour ago, RobLambert said:

You're watching a different game to me.  Some tight calls mentioned here maybe but I'm talking about key decisions that are clearly wrong and referees 'finding' penalties against us / ignoring those that could be awarded to us WHEN IT MATTERS.  The last time this debate kicked off was Fax at home 2015 and some said then that things even themselves out.  Well I'm still waiting for that. 

Leigh away last year. We are leading by 2 points with 2 minutes to go, Leigh make a half break, the runner is tackled from behind by Keal Carlile who hangs on to him for long enough for the defence to get back into position. On the highlights video you can see the Leigh coaching staff with their arms outstretched screaming at the ref for a penalty. It's Chris Kendall, of Fax 2015 fame. But he doesn't give it, and on the very next play Briscoe steals the ball and scores to seal the game for us.

If Kendall gives that penalty, they get a fresh set of six close to our twenty and every chance of winning. I'd call that a key decision. But again, we only notice the ones that go against us, don't we?

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

One of the most laughable I remember.... and there have been a few... was a good Friday game v Hull KR. Drop goal for rovers was awarded and it missed by two metres at least. We were pizzin ourselves behind the sticks.

Sheeite happens 

Aye - then on the Monday we lost by a drop goal that went under against Doncaster.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Imagine this for one minute. Every Tuesday the RFL have a meeting with all referees and instruct them to award penalties against Fev and to allow dubious tries to their opponents especially in tight games and if the match is level or within a point they must find a reason to penalise Fev at the death. All these refs are made sign that throughout their lives they must swear to oath that they will never mention such a conspiracy. Farcical? You bet. And no other club lose games in controversial circumstances. RFL get blamed for a lot of things but refereeing decisions? Give over its laughable.

Archived