The shot clock.

Loiner

Thought tonights game was a great advertisement for our game, but can someone please explain the shot clock. What happens when a team runs out of time on goaline drops outs and scrums ? Are they penalised,and if so what's the penalty ?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Loiner said:

Thought tonights game was a great advertisement for our game, but can someone please explain the shot clock. What happens when a team runs out of time on goaline drops outs and scrums ? Are they penalised,and if so what's the penalty ?

I think its a normal penalty rather than a differential one. 

I assume either team can be penalised, or is it just the team that's putting in? Obviously the team without the ball can waste time too, but it seemed like all the onus was on the side feeding the scrum. 

17 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

And weren't the scrums fantastic. Ball in. Ball out. Get on with the game. Would love to see a split screen showing these scrums compared to one of the six nations scrums that we are about to endure.

Are scrums in the modern game necessary? It isn't a scrum in the sense that it's a fair competition for the ball. Union scrums that take 5 minutes from start to finish aren't my cup of tea either so don't get the impression I prefer them! I just don't see the relevance of modern day scrums in rugby league.

Can someone just clarify something for me, maybe Ive missed something.  Obviously if the ball is not fed into the scrum in time then that team gives away a penalty but what happens if the other team is pratting about and not forming the scrum properly and running the clock down? Do they give away a penalty then??

26 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Are scrums in the modern game necessary? It isn't a scrum in the sense that it's a fair competition for the ball. Union scrums that take 5 minutes from start to finish aren't my cup of tea either so don't get the impression I prefer them! I just don't see the relevance of modern day scrums in rugby league.

I see what you're getting at, but for reasons of variety I think we need to have different ways of restarting a game.   Maybe we really should go back to contesting scrums somehow, but not in the messy Union style.   I don't mind seeing a big push at a scrum to try and gain possession.  Rewards a big pack, and the converse of that is that a smaller pack is rewarded with being less tired and more mobile later in the game.

41 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

They open up the game for a few seconds by getting the forwards in a big bunch. If the ball can be cleared quickly it gives the backs a bit of an edge.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

53 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Can someone just clarify something for me, maybe Ive missed something.  Obviously if the ball is not fed into the scrum in time then that team gives away a penalty but what happens if the other team is pratting about and not forming the scrum properly and running the clock down? Do they give away a penalty then??

Yes. Bottom line is whoever is pratting about concedes the penalty. If both teams are pratting about then the team feeding the scrum gets the penalty. 

1 hour ago, johnh1 said:

And weren't the scrums fantastic. Ball in. Ball out. Get on with the game. Would love to see a split screen showing these scrums compared to one of the six nations scrums that we are about to endure.

Rucks in the 6 Mats last longer than our scrums.

8 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

For a first go, it worked really well. Hope Sky can add a small graphic to the screen but can’t really fault it on its debut. 

They have had it for a year in the NRL, so the consequences, whatever they are, should be well known by now.  If they have had a graphic in the NRL, if..., then why not done it in time by SKY?

13 minutes ago, dkw said:

I thought the best indicator that this is an excellent idea that works really well is the fact the ref never once had to penalise anyone, every scrum was done within the allotted time.

And the game finished a good ten minutes earlier than they were last year,

2 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

If the clock hits zero while a player is in the act of taking a kick or feeding a scrum will the ref let it go or give a penalty?

From what I saw they seemed to call the shot clock off a little bit before they fed the ball. I suppose this gives them a bit of leeway if they were only a second or so off of the shot clock as long as they're ready to play.

Archived