Hock gone?

BarraFan

Wouldn't surprise me.

Plenty of people said it would happen after the injury. At his age, he'll be thinking about whether it's worth all the effort and stress to recover and then get back into shape. What's he going to get? 6 months of part time RL at Barrow. He was out for the latter half of last season so he's facing coming back after 12 months out.

I think a lot of people in his situation would just call it a day.

There will be finances involved of course. I just hope the club have got it squared away with him. Worst case is that he takes a wage for the next 6 months and then we "mutually agree" to release him from his contract mid season. Hopefully he's either going to come back or he's made his decision now and the club can spend the money elsewhere.

1 minute ago, NWDuk said:

Wouldn't surprise me.

Plenty of people said it would happen after the injury. At his age, he'll be thinking about whether it's worth all the effort and stress to recover and then get back into shape. What's he going to get? 6 months of part time RL at Barrow. He was out for the latter half of last season so he's facing coming back after 12 months out.

I think a lot of people in his situation would just call it a day.

There will be finances involved of course. I just hope the club have got it squared away with him. Worst case is that he takes a wage for the next 6 months and then we "mutually agree" to release him from his contract mid season. Hopefully he's either going to come back or he's made his decision now and the club can spend the money elsewhere.

According to Scott Deakin, he's still under contract and it's just a rumour

Aye, but that's not necessarily a good thing.

If, in June, he says he doesn't want to play are we going to enforce that contract? Based on previous experience I'd say we'd be more likely to write off the money and let him walk away.

Was quite pleased when he signed. Soon as I heard how long he was going to be out I did wonder if we'd ever see him in a Barrow shirt.

If he stays then great, but if not I don't think it's a big issue seeing the other forwards we have now.

If he does come back in April/ May how long will it take him to get up to fitness anyway?

Gareth Hock has not left the club, he is having his operation next week and is looking to get back to fitness some time in May. We did sign Johnson because we thought we were a little light in the front row with losing Bullock and Susino and only replacing like for like with Minoga. We may not have been so keen if Gareth was fit as the plan was to hold some money back for mid-season but I think we have made the right move for now. I've said before if the crowds and sponsors continue to back us then we can apply for an increase in our salary cap. Alternatively, directors can personally guarantee increased spending. Ideally the squad we have put together, with players like Hock and Toal to come back, should have enough quality to achieve our mid-table ambitions

BarrowRaiders-TheMan-1.png

• 1 month later...

Susino is a decent player, but, if the Supporters Club are looking to crowdfund a player, I'd rather they looked to bring in an experienced pivot personally, otherwise we'll be absolutely awash with forwards by mid-May.

Or get Sammut or someone in on loan from Wigan for a month?

Archived