Dion Dublin

1 minute ago, Mr Wind Up said:

You're right there's nothing wrong with it, I'm just saying that I believe it's misguided to think it will have any effect of note. Has he influenced one person out there that will become a future fanatic? It's possible. But I think these forms of advertising and promotion are nigh on useless. I believe Harry Kane will have little to no influence on the NFL as a result of that puff piece ran in the media.

fine... i assume you arent in PR or Marketing.. or a teenager

"influencers" on social media are huge.. whether it works in sport is yet to be seen as it is still very new.. there is a new generation of people coming through that are heavily influenced by this sort of rubbish (dont get it myself)... so worth a try IMHO.. 

4 minutes ago, RP London said:

fine... i assume you arent in PR or Marketing.. or a teenager

"influencers" on social media are huge.. whether it works in sport is yet to be seen as it is still very new.. there is a new generation of people coming through that are heavily influenced by this sort of rubbish (dont get it myself)... so worth a try IMHO.. 

Won't reveal what I'm in, or what my age is, but I've paid attention to sports all my life and made conclusions about what makes it successful..... whatever that means. In my mind, there is only one thing that will in 7 out of 10 cases make someone a lifelong paying customer in sports, and that's satisfaction derived from participating in a sport between the ages of 5 and 15. Video gaming, and its ability to help familiarise children with sports they may not have been exposed to, is another factor. Obviously, participation is tied into other factors like what your parents want you to play, what your friends are playing, etc. 

Beyond that, very little else will create lifelong fans.

I have no concrete evidence I can't point to, but I don't feel I'm wrong. It's one thing to have LeBron James selling shoes to his twitter followers. It's a whole other kettle of fish to adopt his interests. Most people interested in James just want to watch him put up 30 points a night. Some will want to buy his shoes. Most aren't going to learn how to become business moguls because he's doing so. 

13 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Won't reveal what I'm in, or what my age is, but I've paid attention to sports all my life and made conclusions about what makes it successful..... whatever that means. In my mind, there is only one thing that will in 7 out of 10 cases make someone a lifelong paying customer in sports, and that's satisfaction derived from participating in a sport between the ages of 5 and 15. Video gaming, and its ability to help familiarise children with sports they may not have been exposed to, is another factor. Obviously, participation is tied into other factors like what your parents want you to play, what your friends are playing, etc. 

Beyond that, very little else will create lifelong fans.

I have no concrete evidence I can't point to, but I don't feel I'm wrong. It's one thing to have LeBron James selling shoes to his twitter followers. It's a whole other kettle of fish to adopt his interests. Most people interested in James just want to watch him put up 30 points a night. Some will want to buy his shoes. Most aren't going to learn how to become business moguls because he's doing so. 

I see where you are coming from but times are changing.. The NFL for example are not taking on Rugby players for the UK and Australia for any other reason than to get people to tune in and have an interest. There is definitely an ability for someone who you admire/are interested in to influence you to watch a game of another sport by saying that they find it enjoyable. How big that is is something we can only speculate on because it is all relatively new (though Welsh interest in RL was probably at its height in the 70s and 80s with the high profile moves, slightly different i know). 

We wont agree on this but when something doesnt cost you anything then why not give it a go. 

On 2/4/2019 at 2:03 PM, RP London said:

We wont agree on this but when something doesnt cost you anything then why not give it a go. 

Because rugby league has a peculiar mindset of always looking at the negatives and not coming up with any positives.

"Free? Well if it don't cost owt it can't be any good.

"Costs 'ow much? If you think I'm paying good money for that you've got another think coming, It ought to be free"

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

4 minutes ago, RoverBear said:

A plucky but handsome Ground Announcer tweeted him to ask if he fancied a trip to the Bears. He liked the tweet so we know he's seen it at least!  

oy... initiative... no!!!

6 hours ago, RP London said:

sadly yes (probably not flocking)... there are many people around that are now "influencers" (awful word) who do this sort of stuff on social media all the time.. yes Dion Dublin is hardly at their level but a quick question and a quick answer hardly costs a fortune and is another person on the list of people who enjoy the game.. the more you get the better.. it does no harm whatsover so why not? He may well be an "influencer" to an actual "influencer" to go along and take a look who then shouts about it properly.. but without giving it a go you'll never find out.

Dion Dublin is not Kylie Jenner. You at least seem to be aware of this concept, which is more than most in RL, but clearly have no idea of its real life applications or how it works. Dion Dublin issuing a 'comment' that he attended a RL match isn't going to achieve anything at all. The likes of Wayne Rooney, Ryan Giggs, Bradley Wiggins and Joey Barton are outspoken RL fans that are much more likely to be 'influencers' and are still not because, as the other poster explained, that isn't how it works. Nobody is interested in what these people do off the field.

Edit: Nobody is stating that cultural influence is a bad thing BTW, far from it. Just that a Z-list celebrity shouldn't have to issue a statement about how much he enjoyed a sporting event that he casually attended. It's Partridge-esque.

6 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Dion Dublin is not Kylie Jenner. You at least seem to be aware of this concept, which is more than most in RL, but clearly have no idea of its real life applications or how it works. Dion Dublin issuing a 'comment' that he attended a RL match isn't going to achieve anything at all. The likes of Wayne Rooney, Ryan Giggs, Bradley Wiggins and Joey Barton are outspoken RL fans that are much more likely to be 'influencers' and are still not because, as the other poster explained, that isn't how it works. Nobody is interested in what these people do off the field.

Edit: Nobody is stating that cultural influence is a bad thing BTW, far from it. Just that a Z-list celebrity shouldn't have to issue a statement about how much he enjoyed a sporting event that he casually attended. It's Partridge-esque.

and yet for a 2 minute "chat" it would also do no harm... thats my point.. 

its not partridge-esque it is simply asking someone for an opinion "did you enjoy that Dion?, do you normally follow Rugby League and if so who do you support? Thanks Dion have a great night".. simple.. 

1 minute ago, RP London said:

and yet for a 2 minute "chat" it would also do no harm... thats my point.. 

its not partridge-esque it is simply asking someone for an opinion "did you enjoy that Dion?, do you normally follow Rugby League and if so who do you support? Thanks Dion have a great night".. simple.. 

That's literally one of the most Partridge-esque things I can think of.

3 hours ago, Mr Wind Up said:

That's a community/parental thing. That's why people in Wigan prefer RL and people in Manchester don't. It's not because of Tweeting.

In any case, I genuinely believe there are many fans who don't actually like the game. You know who they are because they are the ones that only watch their team. Believe it or not, most British people don't give a toss about football. No matter how much air coverage it gets, no matter how much celebrity culture feeds into it, the majority of Brits don't care for it. 

Now imagine some bloke on Twitter plugging a sport. It'll get likes, it'll get retweets. It's not going to cause a social movement. Or, for that matter, convert a number of people into becoming a long-time paying customer. There may be an outlier, but the majority will just ignore it and continue on their merry lives.

Are you aware of fyre festival?

Influencers were paid to advertise it on social media and it sold out within hours even though the people had no idea what they were buying and the fact it was a new festival, ok it was a disaster but if they knew what they were doing the approach to get influencers involved was genius.  

The modern generation who are fixated with selfies would go to games just to post pouting pics from the stands!

56 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Influencers were paid to advertise it on social media and it sold out within hours even though the people had no idea what they were buying and the fact it was a new festival, ok it was a disaster but if they knew what they were doing the approach to get influencers involved was genius.  

The modern generation who are fixated with selfies would go to games just to post pouting pics from the stands!

Some people really are dim. Gullibility doesn’t even get anywhere near describing it.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

No it wasn't, it cost them a ton of money which meant they couldn't cover basic costs in other areas such as accommodation and catering which is why the whole thing was a disaster. Besides the fact that you seem to be implying that Dion Dublin is an 'influencer' in the same way as Hailey Baldwin or Bella Hadid which is just laughable on so many levels.

There is a very legitimate discussion to be had about RL's public image and what can be done to improve it and create more mainstream relevance and credibility. Unfortunately 'cool dads' having a nice chat with Dion Dublin is probably not the answer (and nor is paying Instagram models millions of dollars to attend matches).

4 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

No it wasn't, it cost them a ton of money which meant they couldn't cover basic costs in other areas such as accommodation and catering which is why the whole thing was a disaster. Besides the fact that you seem to be implying that Dion Dublin is an 'influencer' in the same way as Hailey Baldwin or Bella Hadid which is just laughable on so many levels.

There is a very legitimate discussion to be had about RL's public image and what can be done to improve it and create more mainstream relevance and credibility. Unfortunately 'cool dads' having a nice chat with Dion Dublin is probably not the answer (and nor is paying Instagram models millions of dollars to attend matches).

I agree, the implementation of the festival was poor but my point was they sold out a vision based on influencers and the buyers didn't know what they were paying for.

Dion Dublin may not be an influencer but others on social media are.

Did you see the attendees of the Super bowl? All those famous people tweeting makes the game and sport socially desirable.

19 hours ago, Marauder said:

I believe Ryan Giggs got a lot of Manchester United players interested in the game a few years ago.

Dion Dublin was at Man Utd for 2 years when Ryan Giggs was the there, so possibly Giggs made him aware of Rugby League like he did Roy Keane, Rio Ferdinand, etc, and Nicky Butt and Paul Scholes were already fans of the game.

17 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

That's literally one of the most Partridge-esque things I can think of.

And that one of the reasons why RL fans can be overly negative.  We should be putting spin onto every opportunity, although we know it as spin.  Others do it and gain publicity.

Were Ryan Giggs to talk up Women's RL....now that would get a reaction!

Re Social media, well, it's all part of the marketing mix.

Celebrity endorsement, well, it's all part of the marketing mix.

Create once, use many across all channels to reach a wide demographic.

Playing the game as a kid, at school etc used to be a sure fire way of securing lifetime fanship. ...but that's so "last century". Still true, in my view, but a's a shrinking proportion of the overall reasoning.

Changes, too, in the traditional idea of having an agreed budgeted clunky marketing plan and sticking to it. The sheer speed of dissemination through social media means that organisations MUST be able to act or react instantly 24/7 as part of the whole. Can't afford to wait for the monthly marketing review before doing anything.

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

Were Ryan Giggs to talk up Women's RL....now that would get a reaction!

Re Social media, well, it's all part of the marketing mix.

Celebrity endorsement, well, it's all part of the marketing mix.

Create once, use many across all channels to reach a wide demographic.

Playing the game as a kid, at school etc used to be a sure fire way of securing lifetime fanship. ...but that's so "last century". Still true, in my view, but a's a shrinking proportion of the overall reasoning.

Changes, too, in the traditional idea of having an agreed budgeted clunky marketing plan and sticking to it. The sheer speed of dissemination through social media means that organisations MUST be able to act or react instantly 24/7 as part of the whole. Can't afford to wait for the monthly marketing review before doing anything.

We've pinpointed that our local newspaper isn't giving us enough exposure because it's published every month.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Archived