London Broncos article in The Daily Telegraph

There isa lot of debate about the strategic value of the London Broncos to Super League on these boards but one thing is for sure they have got a lot of coverage in the print media down here for a club in a sport that is very much towards the backend of the Sports Suppliments if at all..

Enjoy

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-league/2019/02/01/super-league-underdogs-london-broncos-return-top-flight-hoping/

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

7 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Does anyone have Garry Schofield’s email address? 

itllneverwork@getbackdownthepit.com  

or his work email: notforthelikesofyou@fightingtheinevitable.co.uk

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

49 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Isn't one of those Parkys?

No, he's floggingthesamedeadhorse@prolix.troll

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Before slagging off Schofield and bagging anyone who has doubts let’s see how today goes first.

My team Wakefield are no push overs they do represent probably the better of the middle ranking teams. Hence they are more beatable away from home on the first game of the season than say Saints. However judging by Salford’s display London will get few better chances of a win than they will today. First games especially of a promoted side are always tricky to predict. So a win for London is quite vital imho.

Secondly Wakefield have officially sold over 700 tickets and many like me bought directly from London. So let’s say Trinity take 1000 for arguments sake.

Few will take more some far less. So imho if London can’t at least add 1500 to that then they are in real bother especially if they lose or worse lose heavily. 

To sustain a pro club in somewhere as expensive as London on those figures doesn’t appear possible to me. Even with the Sky money and a sugar daddy that’s just not plausible.

If they have a win especially a good one and say 2-3000 Londoners turn up then job done you can work with that. All the same it’s all very much down to chance even by RL standards.

So Garry may be proved wrong but there is a very good chance he won’t be. At the end of the day he’s a pundit who likes a pint it’s not his job to big up London or anyone else.

12 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Stephen Jones (yes, him) has a not entirely negative piece on the Broncos in today’s Sunday Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/broncos-back-and-bringing-super-league-to-the-south-ltz82s6cf

Is that the Sunday Times of February 3rd ? Isn't in my copy (obtained in a branch of Waitrose frequented by Theresa May near Henley/Maidenhead). 

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

13 minutes ago, BJW said:

Is that the Sunday Times of February 3rd ? Isn't in my copy (obtained in a branch of Waitrose frequented by Theresa May near Henley/Maidenhead). 

I had a look at a copy left on my train home from London and didn’t see it either. Might have been online only. 

On 2/3/2019 at 8:35 AM, Kirmonds pouch said:

Before slagging off Schofield and bagging anyone who has doubts let’s see how today goes first.

My team Wakefield are no push overs they do represent probably the better of the middle ranking teams. Hence they are more beatable away from home on the first game of the season than say Saints. However judging by Salford’s display London will get few better chances of a win than they will today. First games especially of a promoted side are always tricky to predict. So a win for London is quite vital imho.

Secondly Wakefield have officially sold over 700 tickets and many like me bought directly from London. So let’s say Trinity take 1000 for arguments sake.

Few will take more some far less. So imho if London can’t at least add 1500 to that then they are in real bother especially if they lose or worse lose heavily. 

To sustain a pro club in somewhere as expensive as London on those figures doesn’t appear possible to me. Even with the Sky money and a sugar daddy that’s just not plausible.

If they have a win especially a good one and say 2-3000 Londoners turn up then job done you can work with that. All the same it’s all very much down to chance even by RL standards.

So Garry may be proved wrong but there is a very good chance he won’t be. At the end of the day he’s a pundit who likes a pint it’s not his job to big up London or anyone else.

a good win and attendance reported on the London website of 2149 so not a bad start, a few more bums on seats would be good but a win may well help them in the coming weeks. 

What was it like?

On 2/2/2019 at 12:07 PM, Man of Kent said:

Evening Standard:

6A3737D8-E9F4-479C-AC23-832BFDABA464.jpeg

I love that photo, which says such a lot about Danny Ward and his players.

In the current edition of Rugby League World magazine I have an article that argues that the Broncos are potentially the most important club in Super League.

The preponderance of articles like this at the weekend illustrates why that is.

The Broncos are probably the only club in the game that, if they enjoyed great success, could single handedly raise the value of the next broadcasting deal, rather like the success of Sydney Swans some years ago supposedly added 40% to the value of the AFL's broadcasting rights.

2 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

In the current edition of Rugby League World magazine I have an article that argues that the Broncos are potentially the most important club in Super League.

The Broncos are probably the only club in the game that, if they enjoyed great success, could single handedly raise the value of the next broadcasting deal, rather like the success of Sydney Swans some years ago supposedly added 40% to the value of the AFL's broadcasting rights.

I believe this is incorrect. I've read on RL forums that like to dabble in mudslinging between NRL and AFL that, despite the onfield success, the ratings in Sydney for AFL remain abysmal. The likelihood that poor ratings added 40% to the value of broadcasting rights seems fanciful at best.

1 minute ago, Mr Wind Up said:

I believe this is incorrect. I've read on RL forums that like to dabble in mudslinging between NRL and AFL that, despite the onfield success, the ratings in Sydney for AFL remain abysmal. The likelihood that poor ratings added 40% to the value of broadcasting rights seems fanciful at best.

"By comparison, the Swans have the AFL’s highest TV audience, with 14.3m viewers over the season. This is equivalent to the Roosters in the NRL, the code’s third highest-ranking team, also with 14.3m cumulative viewers."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-trumps-afl-in-tv-ratings-war-20180910-p502u1.html

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

It isn't just the number of viewers, but the impression that AFL was becoming a truly national game by expanding to Sydney.

8 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Right now, and whilst (as is clear) I don't attend any games any more for reasons of distance and time, I think I speak for a lot of London fans when I say this: we are not here to save rugby league.

I can't tell you how pleased I am that we got promotion the hard way - and enduring the second half against Toronto is a memory of anxiety that comes back to me every so often - and that, by necessity, we're building teams via moneyball, graft and good coaching.

But we're still the smallest and most vulnerable club in the upper reaches of the game by a distance. I just want us to be competitive, play good football and, with memories of most of this century in my mind, survive.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 2/3/2019 at 8:35 AM, Kirmonds pouch said:

It's worth pointing out that Garry was one of the few pundits to predict a Broncos win yesterday.

He has obviously learned the error of his ways from last season's prediction of the Broncos finishing tenth in the Championship.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Right now, and whilst (as is clear) I don't attend any games any more for reasons of distance and time, I think I speak for a lot of London fans when I say this: we are not here to save rugby league.

I can't tell you how pleased I am that we got promotion the hard way - and enduring the second half against Toronto is a memory of anxiety that comes back to me every so often - and that, by necessity, we're building teams via moneyball, graft and good coaching.

But we're still the smallest and most vulnerable club in the upper reaches of the game by a distance. I just want us to be competitive, play good football and, with memories of most of this century in my mind, survive.

I understand your point and it's certainly unwise to count our chickens.

In Round 1 last season Widnes had a thumping victory against the Catalans Dragons, and look where they are now.

Sunday's trip to Salford now looks an absolutely intriguing game.

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

"By comparison, the Swans have the AFL’s highest TV audience, with 14.3m viewers over the season. This is equivalent to the Roosters in the NRL, the code’s third highest-ranking team, also with 14.3m cumulative viewers."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-trumps-afl-in-tv-ratings-war-20180910-p502u1.html

I'll give you an example from last year: 

SEVEN’S AFL: FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL Channel 7 517,000 

Of those, 43,000 were in Sydney. 

Hopefully you see what I'm getting at. The 'highest TV audience' Swans are relying on people from everywhere but Sydney to post those numbers. This isn't a one-off either. The Swans have very poor ratings in Sydney according to the Australians who post about this stuff on LU. 

Archived