Member of Royal Family Elected President of New Ghana Rugby League Board

Exciting times. There’s more structured and coordinated development happening in Africa, which should be more sustainable.

The next step has to be for the development of more international games between nations here, in similar vein to what is happening in South America 

Rugby League in Africa seems to be progressing steadily and promisingly. How many nations are 'on board' now? I make it Nigeria, Ghana, Burundi, Cameroon, Congo, Morocco, South Africa, Kenya (rebel?) and Ethiopia. It would be good to see a bit of investment in an international programme to help further the sport's profile in the region. 

The good thing about this is, presuming this person has connections or authority, is that Unionists can't get RL banned. Because that seems to be their go-to modus operandi anytime RL gets traction anywhere. And when they can't get it banned they resort to other dirty tactics to suppress the sport like blocking state-recognition or sponsorships or banning players from RU.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:35 PM, Number 16 said:

Rugby League in Africa seems to be progressing steadily and promisingly. How many nations are 'on board' now? I make it Nigeria, Ghana, Burundi, Cameroon, Congo, Morocco, South Africa, Kenya (rebel?) and Ethiopia. It would be good to see a bit of investment in an international programme to help further the sport's profile in the region.

Rugby League has been banned in Morocco since 2013. Basically a year after gaining recognition from RLEF.

On 2/4/2019 at 8:35 AM, Number 16 said:

Sierra Leone are also observer members.

12 hours ago, NotToday said:

The good thing about this is, presuming this person has connections or authority, is that Unionists can't get RL banned. Because that seems to be their go-to modus operandi anytime RL gets traction anywhere. And when they can't get it banned they resort to other dirty tactics to suppress the sport like blocking state-recognition or sponsorships or banning players from RU.

Rugby League has been banned in Morocco since 2013. Basically a year after gaining recognition from RLEF.

Banned by who? 

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

There were some RL games played in Morocco at the end of 2018.

Could have been the same way Greece does their own games. They can't get stadiums or official venues. When they're found out they are blocked or removed.

3 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Banned by who? 

Banned by the Ministry of Sports and the RU.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/rugby-league-persecution-in-morocco/

The only game, played in Casablanca against the local club, ended in a 96-0 victory. The game had been banned by the sports ministry after a request from the MRU and was only allowed to proceed following the intervention of a political contact of the president of the local rugby league club.

https://www.rugbyleagueplanet.com/morocco/moroccan-ministry-of-sport-roadblock-official-recognition-for-rugby-league-in-morocco

“The European Union provides substantial aid to the Moroccan government and is well placed to question why it refuses to offer rugby league the opportunity to achieve fully accredited status like any other sport has the right to.”

Currently, Moroccan citizens are prevented from officially playing the sport, from using municipal facilities, forming a national team and benefitting from the state’s sport infrastructure.

Thanks for the information. It just goes on and on. Its sickening. I believe the root cause of all this, is a simple one, envy. They see the joy of our game, the excitement of the players and fans alike and know deep down that their own ''product'' is lack-lustre by comparison. We have wasted 100 years looking inward when we should have been spreading our game across the world. Hopefully, at last, the cat's out of the bag and growing spontaneously all over the place. My father used to say, if you see a ''good'' fight be sure to get in it. Come on Rugby League, keep up the "good" work. Shame on them! 

Yes deluded pom that is very true.Thanks for keeping the thread alive.

Can I suggest another, less obvious reason?

I think the decision to organise into local leagues inhibits spread too.

While we spent decades, playing the same ten or twelve teams for the local trophy, the Ra-ra's who believed leagues were the devils work, employed fixture secretaries, who spent months compiling fixture lists from teams from much further afield. 

Yes they played the local teams but they also entertained touring teams, glamour fixtures, and away tours of their own, to fill an otherwise empty season, this in turn fed the growth of the game in new areas.

When i approached BARLA they assumed we wanted financial support. We had enough money to run a club but what we wanted was opposition.

I suggested, at the BARLA AGM that they organise their leagues (or some of them) into odd numbers of teams (not even numbers). Then every season, each team would have two weeks off which they could use to rest players or to organise a tour to another area (a development area perhaps). Once established these games would be annual highlights, thereby cheering up an otherwise mundane season. How about a Cross-Pennine tour or a trip to Coventry for example.

For a new club in a barren area, this would provide loads of possible opponents to pad out an otherwise scant fixture list and feed the development in new areas.

The BARLA group, as you might expect, thought I was bonkers! (a deluded Welshman)  Just imagine though, what might have happened, if (for a hundred years) we'd been travelling out of our local areas, looking for fresh fixtures? I know there's no money for development, but when a group of enthusiasts show real interest, a simple re-organisation would provide all the support and encouragement, most need.

This is what i meant when I said we have wasted too much time looking inwards. Its very satisfying to blame our enemies, but I believe this simple difference goes a long way to explain the spread of Ra ra and the stagnation of our game. Lets do what we can?

All Super League players begin in the towns and villages, schools and amateur clubs, lets energise the spread of the community game by reaching out to new people when they show an interest. Not everyone wants a hand-out, they just want to be able to play. The reason most new teams struggle is simply because of lack of reliable opposition

We have the capability to do this.

3 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Yes deluded pom that is very true.Thanks for keeping the thread alive.

Can I suggest another, less obvious reason?

I think the decision to organise into local leagues inhibits spread too.

While we spent decades, playing the same ten or twelve teams for the local trophy, the Ra-ra's who believed leagues were the devils work, employed fixture secretaries, who spent months compiling fixture lists from teams from much further afield. 

Yes they played the local teams but they also entertained touring teams, glamour fixtures, and away tours of their own, to fill an otherwise empty season, this in turn fed the growth of the game in new areas.

When i approached BARLA they assumed we wanted financial support. We had enough money to run a club but what we wanted was opposition.

I suggested, at the BARLA AGM that they organise their leagues (or some of them) into odd numbers of teams (not even numbers). Then every season, each team would have two weeks off which they could use to rest players or to organise a tour to another area (a development area perhaps). Once established these games would be annual highlights, thereby cheering up an otherwise mundane season. How about a Cross-Pennine tour or a trip to Coventry for example.

For a new club in a barren area, this would provide loads of possible opponents to pad out an otherwise scant fixture list and feed the development in new areas.

The BARLA group, as you might expect, thought I was bonkers! (a deluded Welshman)  Just imagine though, what might have happened, if (for a hundred years) we'd been travelling out of our local areas, looking for fresh fixtures? I know there's no money for development, but when a group of enthusiasts show real interest, a simple re-organisation would provide all the support and encouragement, most need.

This is what i meant when I said we have wasted too much time looking inwards. Its very satisfying to blame our enemies, but I believe this simple difference goes a long way to explain the spread of Ra ra and the stagnation of our game. Lets do what we can?

All Super League players begin in the towns and villages, schools and amateur clubs, lets energise the spread of the community game by reaching out to new people when they show an interest. Not everyone wants a hand-out, they just want to be able to play. The reason most new teams struggle is simply because of lack of reliable opposition

We have the capability to do this.

I understand to an extent where you are coming from fi but the threat of being professionalised and facing a ban from playing union was a huge deterrent to not only individuals but also clubs. 

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived