York press coverage

georgeb1

Fantastic build up and publicity for this Sundays massive game against the wolfpack , peter and the press deserve credit that they rarely receive for promoting this great club of ours .

Up the fantastic kneets???

22 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

Fantastic build up and publicity for this Sundays massive game against the wolfpack , peter and the press deserve credit that they rarely receive for promoting this great club of ours .

Up the fantastic kneets???

The reason they don't usually get it is they don't usually deserve it but I agree they have been a lot better this week. I hope it's a sign of what's to come this season although a page full of pen pictures of the players and staff etc. wouldn't go amiss. Whilst on the subject, I think Radio York have excelled themselves with their promotion of the game this week. Plenty of mentions during the regular programmes.

21 hours ago, HaxbyKnight said:

Got to agree with you CS, press coverage is pretty poor usually, it can only get better. 

You were right haxby , 4  articles within a few hours of the game finishing , enough said .

Up the well covered kneets???

2 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

You were right haxby , 4  articles within a few hours of the game finishing , enough said .

Up the well covered kneets???

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one George. Yes, there were 4 articles, but considering who we were playing, it is what you should expect from a local paper. To put it into perspective, there were 4 articles on York City on Saturday, plus another one today, and they are playing in not much more than a pub league. 

Can't agree HK. The knights get a level of coverage that many teams at this level would give their right hands for.

As for how it is compared to City. Well supporter numbers and reader numbers will drive that. There are still many more comments on City articles than Knights articles which indicates higher reader numbers to me making those 'columns' more attractive to the Press as, ultimately, it is that that sells copies and advertising.

As Knights fans, and I include myself in this, if we want to increase Press coverage we need to make those pages as busy as possible by all signing up and commenting. 

Can't fault the coverage in The Press lately. Would be nice to see a return of the Knights diary and player of the month etc but otherwise there have been plenty of good articles and trust me, not many clubs outside of SL get this type of coverage.

Agree about the comments - York City lose to Dunnington FC or Strensall United and there are 30+ comments, whereas for the Knights it's usually just a handful of comments apart from if the troll comments (Michael D - he's got bored winding up the City lot after he was outed as a troll so now just posts digs at Fordy and the Knights. Don't bite people!).

Can't help but feel as fans we need a more joined up approach...I know plenty on Facebook who don't/won't post in the KISS group, then you have people in the KISS group who don't post in here, people who comment on YCK posts on Facebook but dont know of this forum and then lots of us (me included) who don't often post comments on The Press. It mirrors the way at matches we spread out, you have a small singing group near the bus shelters at bootham, but then the other noisy lot are at the other end of the stand. Likewise at away matches we never seem to stand or sit together but spread out. 

Strength in numbers, online and at matches!

15 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

Can't fault the coverage in The Press lately. Would be nice to see a return of the Knights diary and player of the month etc but otherwise there have been plenty of good articles and trust me, not many clubs outside of SL get this type of coverage.

Agree about the comments - York City lose to Dunnington FC or Strensall United and there are 30+ comments, whereas for the Knights it's usually just a handful of comments apart from if the troll comments (Michael D - he's got bored winding up the City lot after he was outed as a troll so now just posts digs at Fordy and the Knights. Don't bite people!).

Can't help but feel as fans we need a more joined up approach...I know plenty on Facebook who don't/won't post in the KISS group, then you have people in the KISS group who don't post in here, people who comment on YCK posts on Facebook but dont know of this forum and then lots of us (me included) who don't often post comments on The Press. It mirrors the way at matches we spread out, you have a small singing group near the bus shelters at bootham, but then the other noisy lot are at the other end of the stand. Likewise at away matches we never seem to stand or sit together but spread out. 

Strength in numbers, online and at matches!

Where we all standing on Sunday then

On 2/4/2019 at 11:13 AM, HaxbyKnight said:

To put it into perspective, there were 4 articles on York City on Saturday, plus another one today, and they are playing in not much more than a pub league.

To put it into perspective (I say this an outsider who has lived the last 10 years in York, and watches York City FC and York City Knights RLFC only occasionally): York City are fielding the worst team in the club's history and playing in the lowest league in the club's history (National League North isn't a pub league, mind - the York Saturday and Sunday Leagues are pub leagues); York City Knights are newly elevated to their sport's second tier, being promoted more enthusiastically than they have, I suspect, in living memory, are apparently on the crest of a wave and last Sunday hosted a club many see as the likely champions of their league. The rugby league club's crowd? 2,518. York City played at Bootham Crescent two days later - an evening game (never as well attended as Saturday fixtures) - against one of the very few teams below them in their league table. The football club's crowd? 2,370. I make that a difference of just 148. What does that say?

41 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

To put it into perspective (I say this an outsider who has lived the last 10 years in York, and watches York City FC and York City Knights RLFC only occasionally): York City are fielding the worst team in the club's history and playing in the lowest league in the club's history (National League North isn't a pub league, mind - the York Saturday and Sunday Leagues are pub leagues); York City Knights are newly elevated to their sport's second tier, being promoted more enthusiastically than they have, I suspect, in living memory, are apparently on the crest of a wave and last Sunday hosted a club many see as the likely champions of their league. The rugby league club's crowd? 2,518. York City played at Bootham Crescent two days later - an evening game (never as well attended as Saturday fixtures) - against one of the very few teams below them in their league table. The football club's crowd? 2,370. I make that a difference of just 148. What does that say?

The rugby team is now outdrawing the soccer team!...good work fellas and keep it up....the roundballers are going down!

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

Fair point Hopping Mad, football will always be the bigger sport in the UK, I don't think that will ever change. Off the top of my head there's not many rugby league teams who average more than their football neighbours, the only ones I can think of at the moment are Wigan Warriors (Wigan Athletic) and Warrington Wolves (Warrington Town).

The Knights still have plenty of work to do but we've already seen crowds go from 428 average in 2015, to 1086 in 2017, 1692 in 2018, and I'd be surprised if the average doesn't reach 2,500+ by the end of 2019. To also put things onto perspective, the highest attendance back in 2015 was 607, in 2019 I think it will be 8,000 vs Bradford. I dont get the impression the Knights support has peaked, I feel if more links are developed within the community and in schools via the foundation, more income streams are developed and those in charge keep pushing the club forward there's no reason why the average support can't in time reach 4,000+. Ok, its not going to shake the sporting world but likewise not bad for a team who 3 years ago were having to borrow plastic chairs from a village hall to put around the pitch at Heworth/New Earswick to meet seating requirements. 

I get the feeling it's still early days here and this is just the start. Best of luck to both teams as they make the most of the move to the new stadium.

9 hours ago, AB Knight said:

Fair point Hopping Mad, football will always be the bigger sport in the UK, I don't think that will ever change. Off the top of my head there's not many rugby league teams who average more than their football neighbours, the only ones I can think of at the moment are Wigan Warriors (Wigan Athletic) and Warrington Wolves (Warrington Town).

The Knights still have plenty of work to do but we've already seen crowds go from 428 average in 2015, to 1086 in 2017, 1692 in 2018, and I'd be surprised if the average doesn't reach 2,500+ by the end of 2019. To also put things onto perspective, the highest attendance back in 2015 was 607, in 2019 I think it will be 8,000 vs Bradford. I dont get the impression the Knights support has peaked, I feel if more links are developed within the community and in schools via the foundation, more income streams are developed and those in charge keep pushing the club forward there's no reason why the average support can't in time reach 4,000+. Ok, its not going to shake the sporting world but likewise not bad for a team who 3 years ago were having to borrow plastic chairs from a village hall to put around the pitch at Heworth/New Earswick to meet seating requirements. 

I get the feeling it's still early days here and this is just the start. Best of luck to both teams as they make the most of the move to the new stadium.

I agree with a lot of this. York have, indeed, come a very long way in a relatively short time. It shows how much latent support in York there is for a successful, well run, community focused rugby league club. Watching York is now an enjoyable experience (the same cannot be said of York City).

To add to your list of places where rugby league clubs attract bigger crowds than their football neighbours: Keighley Cougars (Steeton FC, Keighley's tenants), St Helens (St Helens Town), Widnes (Widnes FC), Whitehaven (Whitehaven AFC) and Workington Town (Workington FC). Salford Red Devils and Salford City are probably about neck and neck (though only since the Class of 92's investment in the football club). Ditto Barrow and Barrow FC, and Halifax and FC Halifax Town. Is the combined support for Hull FC and Hull KR greater than for an out-of-the-top-flight Hull City, I wonder? Tellingly, Batley, Castleford (Glasshoughton Welfare FC, at a push), Dewsbury, Featherstone, Hunslet, Swinton and Wakefield cannot muster a single senior football team between them.

Something else I'd say from an outsider's perspective: York is lucky still to have a daily newspaper (Exeter, for example, another small city, now has to make do with a weekly). York City and York City Knights are also blessed with being the only sporting attractions (the racecourse notwithstanding) for miles around. I'd suggest both clubs get more media coverage (including BBC Radio York) than their crowds merit.

Dewsbury rangers are in div 1 of the yorkshire amateur league, i dont think they get a bigger crowd than the rugby team tho...

The FA probably gave rl in yorkshire its biggest lift in the early 20s when they formed div 3 (n) of the football league and excluded castleford town.

1 hour ago, Nearenough said:

Dewsbury rangers are in div 1 of the yorkshire amateur league, i dont think they get a bigger crowd than the rugby team tho...

The FA probably gave rl in yorkshire its biggest lift in the early 20s when they formed div 3 (n) of the football league and excluded castleford town.

Yes, odd thing to do that, when you consider how they bent over backwards to get League football established in Bradford, Halifax and Huddersfield.

I regard the Northern Counties East League as the start of 'senior' football in this part of the world. Dewsbury Rangers don't count (or matter, dare one suggest)!

Just to add on the topic of paper coverage, The Pontefract and Castleford Express which is printed weekly usually has a maximum of 3 Cas Tigers articles. That's all, which isn't much for a team who have established themselves as one of the top 4/5 rugby league clubs in the UK. During the season I reckon YCK are getting approx 10 articles a weekly (including match reports and stats) so it compares well. 

Like I said before I'd just love a few extra articles to be included, like the player of the month+try stats. I also think something along the lines of '5 things we've learned from YCK vs....' would be a good feature, always enjoy reading the a City one.

Really don't think we can fault the Press coverage this week - we've had 6 articles over the weekend and 11 in total since Monday morning.

By no means a pretty win today but it would be good to see people adding to the 5 comments on todays victory. As both someone here and Jon Flatman have said before the busier the comments section, the more articles we might see posted. 

For the stattos out there - YFC have had 15 articles since Monday (they've played 2 matches in that time) and have had 272 comments. YCK 11 articles but just 23 comments.

Archived