Liverpool RLFC (Merged Threads)

Cdd

Look, if these guys want to spend their own money giving this a go, good for them, go for it and good luck. 
Hope it works. Would be great to have a successful, growing presence in another of the North's biggest cities.

There do seem to be obvious problems with this bid though... alienating half of the host city straight away with the red kit and Liver bird thing being one of them, and apparently planning on building a new stadium* for the new team being another.

* There's not much detail on this at the moment, but that appears to be the plan - seems to me you need to establish an interest in the team/that there are crowds willing to come and watch it before you build a ground. Maybe that is what they would be planning to do, but getting the right place to play is one of the key challenges faced by any new pro team.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, mrfranco said:

Look, if these guys want to spend their own money giving this a go, good for them, go for it and good luck. 
Hope it works. Would be great to have a successful, growing presence in another of the North's biggest cities.

There do seem to be obvious problems with this bid though... alienating half of the host city straight away with the red kit and Liver bird thing being one of them, and apparently planning on building a new stadium* for the new team being another.

* There's not much detail on this at the moment, but that appears to be the plan - seems to me you need to establish an interest in the team/that there are crowds willing to come and watch it before you build a ground. Maybe that is what they would be planning to do, but getting the right place to play is one of the key challenges faced by any new pro team.

Having new teams in big cities and glamorous locations would be brilliant but many seem to overlook the biggest problem it could cause to the game and that's the lack of players at the right standard.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

Having new teams in big cities and glamorous locations would be brilliant but many seem to overlook the biggest problem it could cause to the game and that's the lack of players at the right standard.

The only way to get more players is to get more people to play.

That would have to be part of what this new club would be about, by a combination of raising people's interest by getting them to come and watch it and actively going out and getting schools to play, helping out new junior and amateur clubs that are formed.

I have lived in Liverpool and district all my life, all of it as an RL supporter.

They are not interested in the slightest in RL in the area. It is football, football and football. For my troubles I am an Evertonian and at the moment we have trouble on getting ant attention!

Good luck to them ,they have no chance of making a success of a Liverpool RLFC club.

For those not from this area, for being obsessed by a sport, it is something else. It  if off the scale for football, nothing else counts.

1 minute ago, Colly said:

I have lived in Liverpool and district all my life, all of it as an RL supporter.

They are not interested in the slightest in RL in the area. It is football, football and football. For my troubles I am an Evertonian and at the moment we have trouble on getting ant attention!

Good luck to them ,they have no chance of making a success of a Liverpool RLFC club.

For those not from this area, for being obsessed by a sport, it is something else. It  if off the scale for football, nothing else counts.

Out of interest, would you personally be interested in a new team? Might you go and watch them? Would the fact that it was called just Liverpool and played with the Liver bird on the shirt be enough to put you off? Would it make a difference if they played in "corporation green" or "wheelie bin purple" and had a different crest?? 

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Great news if true.

Not sure about playing in the highly emotive colours of red and blue in that city.

Two alternatives are purple (famously the colour of their wheelibins) or green (traditionally the colour of their buses).

There was a club that used to be called Liverpool City that played rugby league at least up to the 1950s that played at Knotty Ash.

Think they played in green and white hoops.

I think they played there until well through the 1960s, GR.  They were active when I first got introduced to the game in the early '60s, and, on their day, were nobody's pushovers.  For instance, in January, 1965, they only lost 5-8 at Central Park, in the process keeping the entire Wigan side (Boston and Ashton included) try-less.

4 minutes ago, jroyales said:

Wasn't there a Liverpool club in the 60's that eventually became Huyton?

They became Huyton before moving to Runcorn. This is a brilliant book that catalogues the largely underwhelming history of rugby league in the city.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liverpool-City-RLFC-League-Football/dp/190365940X

For such a big city Liverpool doesn't have a good track record of supporting team sports other than football. Other cities successfully host county cricket , ice hockey, basketball, RU, speedway etc. Aigburth gets the odd Lancs CCC game but some of the others mentioned have previously tried and failed.

Having said that Liverpool has always been a hotbed of participation across a range of sports. Personally I'd like to see investors put money into a team of NCL standard and see how it grows.

22 minutes ago, mrfranco said:

The only way to get more players is to get more people to play.

That would have to be part of what this new club would be about, by a combination of raising people's interest by getting them to come and watch it and actively going out and getting schools to play, helping out new junior and amateur clubs that are formed.

I agree but IMO money should be into a fund that was used to develop the game nationwide.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Love Rugby League has taken the following from League Weekly - 

The former Salford Red Devils owner has partnered up with Liverpool-based property magnate Luke Backhouse and Andrew Mikhail, the founder of St Helens-based Mikhail Leisure The millionaire trio were behind a recent bid to take control of Widnes Vikings but no deal could be agreed. League Weekly claim that tentative talks have already been held with the Rugby Football League about admitting a new Liverpool team into the game’s semi-professional structure – and with Liverpool City Council over a possible new purpose-built stadium.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

12 minutes ago, bobdeegan said:

They became Huyton before moving to Runcorn. This is a brilliant book that catalogues the largely underwhelming history of rugby league in the city.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liverpool-City-RLFC-League-Football/dp/190365940X

For such a big city Liverpool doesn't have a good track record of supporting team sports other than football. Other cities successfully host county cricket , ice hockey, basketball, RU, speedway etc. Aigburth gets the odd Lancs CCC game but some of the others mentioned have previously tried and failed.

Having said that Liverpool has always been a hotbed of participation across a range of sports. Personally I'd like to see investors put money into a team of NCL standard and see how it grows.

To be fair Bob, Lancashire won the county championship when they predominantly played at Liverpool rather than Manchester.  The better cricket weather being probably the main factor.

Don’t forget that Aintree hosts the Grand National too and there is a lot of interest in the horses over there.

I do think though now is the time to give Liverpool another chance to embrace a pro rugby league team given the Magic Weekend commitment and the 2021 World Cup fixtures at Anfield.

It’s joined up thinking.

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Haha - yeah fair point about wheelibins although I think it was originally chosen as purple as that’s the colour you get when you mix red and blue.

I think though trying to appeal broadly to the Liverpool population might be better with a neutral logo and colour scheme.

It seems like a trivial thing, but the city is very tribal when it comes to red and blue.

A new team's nickname, colours and logo are never trivial, they need to be carefully chosen to generate interest from the community where it will be based.  Eric Pérez stated that he considered dozens of each for Toronto before settling on what he would go with.

49 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Nice to see RL fans on this thread have confidence in the sport and the on field product ?

To be fair bp,I think its more to do with peoples understanding about how passionate the people of Liverpool are about football here

Archived