Liverpool RLFC (Merged Threads)

Cdd

6 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Back on topic i wish the good Doctor all the best in his efforts to get a club started in Liverpool. As i have said before i think he has a genuine love of the game

So do I and I think his comments and tweets are evidence of that. He could have easily walked away completely when he left Salford and just written it off as a bad deal but he didn't.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

If I'm honest i got a leg up from the family when i left the army and everything sort of fell into place after that. If it wasn't for the family giving me that leg up when i left the army lord only knows what i would have done, but my advice to anyone who asks my advice i say, "Don't pigeon yourself by only doing one thing if you don't have a trade or profession"

Indeed I left school 10 days before my 15th birthday , working in a bank , for the NZ armed forces as a civvy , a house building company , sold food to resturants , drove a van for a clothing co until fate dropped me into the world of double glazing , upon setting up my business my mother handed me a poem by Edgar Guest which helped me work through adversity and still does , and indeed would apply to the good doctor if he does follow through with his stated intentions

37 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

All very strange to me. Straight out if the New York RL book on how to build a successful RL club. 

If you are looking for a big city location in the U.K that doesn't already have a strong RL club, but has potential and somewhat of a history associated with the game, you look at somewhere like Cardiff. Not Liverpool.

Not strange to me.

Just outside the heartlands so they will have plenty of players to chose from, and Liverpool is one of the worlds best known cities, and due in some ways to the Beatles and Liverpool FC

27 minutes ago, Damien said:

So do I and I think his comments and tweets are evidence of that. He could have easily walked away completely when he left Salford and just written it off as a bad deal but he didn't.

I'm encouraged by what he is saying about setting up some amateur clubs and talking to the schools.

48 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

All very strange to me. Straight out if the New York RL book on how to build a successful RL club. 

If you are looking for a big city location in the U.K that doesn't already have a strong RL club, but has potential and somewhat of a history associated with the game, you look at somewhere like Cardiff. Not Liverpool.

If we think RL is a great game, which it is, then with the right backing, planning and funding should deliver anywhere with a decent population- Liverpool, Cardiff, Plymouth, Chatham, Darlington where ever. 

The issue for me is there doesn’t seem to be a plan for the future of the game. Whether good or bad, initiatives like these risk being unsustainable. So, the Doctor talks about getting LRLFC into L1 but what’s the future of L1 - anyone know? 

6 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

If we think RL is a great game, which it is, then with the right backing, planning and funding should deliver anywhere with a decent population- Liverpool, Cardiff, Plymouth, Chatham, Darlington where ever. 

The issue for me is there doesn’t seem to be a plan for the future of the game. Whether good or bad, initiatives like these risk being unsustainable. So, the Doctor talks about getting LRLFC into L1 but what’s the future of L1 - anyone know? 

Rumours that Super League and the Championship are going to get the money from the next tv deal with League One being swallowed up by the NCL. That’s what I heard anyway before someone shoots the messenger. 

10 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

I genuinely doubt his ambitions lie with just L1 , yes he could fund a ' hobby ' club with £ 250 K a year using local players and have somewhere to have a glass of red 20 sundays a year

But does that sound like the good doctor ? , seriously ?

Or is he doing it just to annoy Widnes ? , and was it the intention to rebrand them as Liverpool

49 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I'm encouraged by what he is saying about setting up some amateur clubs and talking to the schools.

Yes and a new ground too. A proper home, grassroots and finance are essential for any RL club to be successful.

2 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Or you just look at a City in which you already have business interests and are already very familiar with. It's his money and any investment in a new area is welcome.

1 hour ago, Tre Cool said:

It has no chance of success without vast sums of money being written off for 10-20 years at least.  Building a new stadium too? Come on.

Indeed, it will require the owners to be prepared to lose millions. The key question is whether they consider that to be “vast” or not. In, say, David Hughes’ case he has financed his £20 m Broncos investment from his day job. Argyle can finance his Wolfpack investment from his loose change. Lenaghan’s Wigan losses eat into his pension pot more substantially. 

We're open to starting in League One, or the alternative maybe is we are told by the Rugby Football League that it might be easier to buy an existing club and re-brand it."

He doesn't actually say they would like to take over an existing club but if the RFL suggested that was the way to go then they could try that route.

39 minutes ago, PaulF said:

We're open to starting in League One, or the alternative maybe is we are told by the Rugby Football League that it might be easier to buy an existing club and re-brand it."

He doesn't actually say they would like to take over an existing club but if the RFL suggested that was the way to go then they could try that route.

I hope a RL journalist asks the RFL for comment on the rebranding suggestion. I find it very unlikely that the RFL has just given MK the green light to buy an existing club and move it to Liverpool. Our clubs aren't "franchises" in the North American sense, so any move to that model would be revolutionary, far beyond the fate of a Liverpool club. 

I hope he calls it simply Liverpool RFC instead of Liverpool RLFC, that is a mouthful. And unless he grabs that name first you know Union will in 5-6 years time.

They could have a nickname but don't make it an official part of the logo. They should piggyback off the Liverpool FC branding but with more youth and edge behind it.

Perhaps go with blue for the bird, yellow for the background, and red for the borders? Perhaps have the letters XIII built into the bird, something like this. Perhaps have the bird standing on a mountain of rugby balls, something like this.

Dr.K is a quack! he's always promising a new grad club that will be the best thing since sliced bread. no faith in anything he says. He didn't buy the bulls when he had the opportunity after saying he really wanted to buy them, walked away from Salford, got drunk on wine and thought up the Cumbria Lakers and now it's Liverpool. He also was going to buy an NRL team and make it an English team in the NRL if I understand correctly. He's proved he can't run a club and SL is looking for stability and good management...not off the rocker wineo's who like twitter spats. DJB is likely never being allowed back as well.

Good headline's though for RL publications.

1 hour ago, NotToday said:

I hope he calls it simply Liverpool RFC instead of Liverpool RLFC, that is a mouthful. And unless he grabs that name first you know Union will in 5-6 years time.

They could have a nickname but don't make it an official part of the logo. They should piggyback off the Liverpool FC branding but with more youth and edge behind it.

Perhaps go with blue for the bird, yellow for the background, and red for the borders? Perhaps have the letters XIII built into the bird, something like this. Perhaps have the bird standing on a mountain of rugby balls, something like this.

28 minutes ago, NotToday said:

Liverpool RFC, aka Liverpool Lakers has a nice ring to it. ?

Hope you're taking down notes, Mr. Koukash. This is a branding play, and it needs to be done right.

There is not a rugby league team in the country that i'm aware that uses the abbreviation 'RFC' when in reference to a RL team. I would think that anybody who supports rugby of either code would assume a name like that was a union side - this would be a bad idea when trying to promote RL to a new fanbase. 

4 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

There is not a rugby league team in the country that i'm aware that uses the abbreviation 'RFC' when in reference to a RL team. I would think that anybody who supports rugby of either code would assume a name like that was a union side - this would be a bad idea when trying to promote RL to a new fanbase. 

Saints do.

13 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Fair - I stand corrected. I maintain however that 'RFC' has a much stronger link to union than it does league. 

As a side note, weird that they give their name as St Helens R.F.C but their web URL is SaintsRLFC  ??‍♂️

It should be Liverpool R.C. - Liverpool Rugby Club. Like the city's football clubs...

It doesn't matter that it doesn't distinguish league, in fact that's a distraction. The point is that there's no pro rugby of either code in the city, so you're looking to attract completely non-rugby watching people, not compete with union. In virgin territories, it's about rugby, not RL per se.

It just helps us that league is a much better watch for new fans, but only as long as it's a fully professional standard in a modern facility.

No point in setting up a semi-pro team in an area with little or no amateur rugby. Liverpool needs the Toronto model of expansion - Go big or don't bother.

Archived