Liverpool RLFC (Merged Threads)

Cdd

22 hours ago, mrfranco said:

Out of interest, would you personally be interested in a new team? Might you go and watch them? Would the fact that it was called just Liverpool and played with the Liver bird on the shirt be enough to put you off? Would it make a difference if they played in "corporation green" or "wheelie bin purple" and had a different crest?? 

Sadly not really, Chemics only for me.

The name is irrelevant as are the colours, in the day Liverpool Stanley/City/Huyton were regarded as sort of strange irrelevance by the locals and that would be exactly the same again.

Knowing how inclusivity works surely the colours would be red with a royal blue “V” ?

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Widnesian, who spent a large portion of his life in Liverpool I will add my tuppence worth. I personally can't see it working for a number of reasons. I've often questioned why Liverpool never took up RL, it is a town almost that is right next to some of the biggest RL playing areas but there has consistently been almost no RL played there.

There is an odd dynamic between people from Liverpool and the people that surround it (woolybacks). I've often compared it to an invisible Berlin wall, they literally have no interest and almost never go there. I once taught in Liverpool, literally 5 miles from my house, and virtually all the children and even some of the adults had never heard of Widnes. I suppose RL fits into this mould, it is a sport played by wools that they have no need for. I often think in situations like this, if it was going to happen it would've happened naturally during the last 100 years especially when sports established themselves more easily than they do now.

For a Liverpool RL team to succeed, as in any new area, it would need millions to finance huge marketing campaigns and it would probably need success on the field. Simply starting one up and hoping it will grow won't work.

As for the Huyton debate, I taught there for two years. Even though it's technically not Liverpool, they certainly regard themselves as scousers. Steven Gerrard is their most famous son, do you think he classes himself as being from Liverpool?

A quick survey amongst the scousers at work today yielded negative results all round. I Put it to them that if there was a rl team in Liverpool would they go and watch? The answers ranged from "no" "what for"  "if I had nothing better to do" and "if a few of my mates where going" so in conclusion,false news article or not,it's not got any legs

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

As for the Huyton debate, I taught there for two years. Even though it's technically not Liverpool, they certainly regard themselves as scousers. Steven Gerrard is their most famous son, do you think he classes himself as being from Liverpool?

I knew I was right. ?

rldfsignature.jpg

12 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I knew I was right. ?

There's a couple of places like that. My best mate is from Kirkby and I spent most of my teenage years singing around Kirkby. It was only when I met him at Uni that I found out Kirkby isn't technically Liverpool either. 

On 2/4/2019 at 5:23 PM, jroyales said:

Wasn't there a Liverpool club in the 60's that eventually became Huyton?

Originally the were called Liverpool Stanley and then Liverpool City, they played at Knotty Ash, colours were green and white, till they moved to a new ground in Huyton around 1968 called Alt Park and changed their colours and name to Huyton RLFC. After years of struggle they then moved around playing at Runcorn and Prescott amongst other places and were kept going virtually single handed by that great character Geoff Fletcher.  

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

New clubs.

So not your money...their money.   How quick we are to spend the money of others or direct how people should spend their own hard earned money.

It would be great to introduce more big brands into RL and just imagine the interest it would generate if Leeds play Liverpool or Manchester . My self, @andrew_mikhail and @GroupBackhouse are working on setting up a team in Liverpool and progress have been made.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

8 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

So not your money...their money.   How quick we are to spend the money of others or direct how people should spend their own hard earned money.

Where do we get the players from then to fill these new exotic team sheets, if they want to sign players of the right standard to fuel their quick promotions, they should be made to pay to make the conveyor belt longer, wider and faster.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

11 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

It would be great to introduce more big brands into RL and just imagine the interest it would generate if Leeds play Liverpool or Manchester . My self, @andrew_mikhail and @GroupBackhouse are working on setting up a team in Liverpool and progress have been made.

Chase up Liverpool Buccaneers 

12 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Liverpool Steelers

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

27 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Where do we get the players from then to fill these new exotic team sheets, if they want to sign players of the right standard to fuel their quick promotions, they should be made to pay to make the conveyor belt longer, wider and faster.

Why should they be made to pay?

How has this even made 5 page's. A guy who has linked himself with Bradford bulls, Cumbria lakers, Widnes and talked about putting a British team into the NRL is now talking about a club in Liverpool that only has a twitter account ripping off a football team badge as any proof of its existence. Its a Complete non starter. 

16 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Why should they be made to pay?

Because we don't have enough quality players to go around the clubs as it is and to get more people playing the game it will take a bit of wonga, so if these lovely new and far off teams want to join they have to put something into the pot to accelerate the growth of quality players or grow there own players from the start, which is obviously a none starter.

4 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Because we don't have enough quality players to go around the clubs as it is and to get more people playing the game it will take a bit of wonga, so if these lovely new and far off teams want to join they have to put something into the pot to accelerate the growth of quality players or grow there own players from the start, which is obviously a none starter.

But they have already done that in the case you have outlined; its called giving someone a job (gainful employment).

I don't understand the logic of setting up a team in an area already blessed with a multitude of the finest, most historic and honoured clubs. And, why start from scratch? There are lots of clubs in the Midlands and South, functioning but in need of investment to get to the big time.

Here's a quick comparison of local population sizes and game attendances from the weekend:

St.Helens (pop 177,000) V Wigan (pop 322,000) - Attendance 16,500

Warrington (pop 202,000) V Leeds (pop 474,000) - Attendance 13,000

London (pop 8,000,000) v Wakefield (pop 333,000) - Attendance 2,149

I think the Bronco's can look after themselves. Skolars have the Toronto Wolfpack investment. If I had money to punt on a Sports Club I would be interested in Coventry Bears. The Bears are uniquely centrally located, well connected, media friendly and playing good sport, well organised and impressive. Great springboard in place.

On 2/4/2019 at 1:29 PM, hunslet ramone said:

Does Koukash know there used to be Huyton 1968 to 1984 and Runcorn Highfield 1984 to 1990 , sadly they never really took off as i don't see enough people will be attracted away from football from this city , a bit like Sheffield is a footballing city.

Earlier than that, Liverpool Stanley, Liverpool Highfield, Wigan Highfield (think I saw a game there, at Highfield!), London Highfield.  I did see a game at Liverpool Highfield and see a Wigan three-quarter break his leg there. 

Billy Boston played cricket at Highfield.

10 hours ago, Hemel Stag said:

I don't understand the logic of setting up a team in an area already blessed with a multitude of the finest, most historic and honoured clubs. And, why start from scratch? There are lots of clubs in the Midlands and South, functioning but in need of investment to get to the big time.

Here's a quick comparison of local population sizes and game attendances from the weekend:

St.Helens (pop 177,000) V Wigan (pop 322,000) - Attendance 16,500

Warrington (pop 202,000) V Leeds (pop 474,000) - Attendance 13,000

London (pop 8,000,000) v Wakefield (pop 333,000) - Attendance 2,149

I think the Bronco's can look after themselves. Skolars have the Toronto Wolfpack investment. If I had money to punt on a Sports Club I would be interested in Coventry Bears. The Bears are uniquely centrally located, well connected, media friendly and playing good sport, well organised and impressive. Great springboard in place.

No idea where you’re getting your population figures from but they’re all wrong - like literally every one of them...and some aren’t even close 

Archived