York Game

NickD

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

It's worth the extra £3 to have the plush seating in the North stand. You get access to the nice warm Royal Suite, which sells bargain priced San Miguel in addition to the drain cleaner available in the South Stand bar, and quite frankly you mix with a better class of person. In addition, the Michellin starred mobile caterers will supply you with delicious, reasonably priced prime steak hache served in a white bloomer with mature English Cheddar, topped with sauteed caramelised onions, and smothered in their signature sauce. Far superior to the mucky burger served by the van on the SS. It's well worth the extra. Course if you want to mix with the riffraff ....     :rolleyes:

Keep up GOR .... San Miguel now available in the South Stand .... just proves the club are listening!!  ....

4 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

Keep up GOR .... San Miguel now available in the South Stand .... just proves the club are listening!!  ....

Don't tell him that - he might start coming round to our bit with all his fancy airs and graces spoiling the place.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 minutes ago, ginaldo said:

you cant beat the food at the mount  as for the rugby ................

To be fair the food  at the Mount is a cut above that provided by a very run-of-the-mill burger van. Still, at least we aren't like Fev and will allow folk to bring their own if they want.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

8 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

Plastic bottles ? Thought so. Like drinking Earl Grey out of a polystyrene cup - not that I've ever had Earl Grey.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

On 2/8/2019 at 11:04 PM, grumpyoldram said:

Plastic bottles ? Thought so. Like drinking Earl Grey out of a polystyrene cup - not that I've ever had Earl Grey.

Nope ....I am reliably informed  its on draught!!  

Also has anyone seen the York press!!  ... They say Annakin is with us and also long serving centre Mark Field!!!!  ..... I must have had far too much of the San Miguel ..... who is Mark Field??

1 hour ago, the old nine ole said:

Nope ....I am reliably informed  its on draught!!  

Also has anyone seen the York press!!  ... They say Annakin is with us and also long serving centre Mark Field!!!!  ..... I must have had far too much of the San Miguel ..... who is Mark Field??

Didn’t we have a Mark Field play for us about 10 years ago? Hope Chris Annakin is with us,always rated that lad. 

Bit of a mixed bag. If York are one of the stronger teams in the Championship, then we should be okay to avoid relegation. Gave away far too many penalties and dropped too much ball.

Pack looks strong, Brown gives us some control and good field kicking, Sykes was outstanding. Disappointed to lose but potential to be better.

17 minutes ago, Rambo said:

Does anyone know if the Annakin signing is on loan or permananent deal???

A one month loan I believe.

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Bit of a mixed bag. If York are one of the stronger teams in the Championship, then we should be okay to avoid relegation. Gave away far too many penalties and dropped too much ball.

Pack looks strong, Brown gives us some control and good field kicking, Sykes was outstanding. Disappointed to lose but potential to be better.

Are York one of the stronger teams though? They haven't been shouting about getting into the top five like some clubs have.

I left with mixed feelings today. Before the game I felt that we would be easily outplayed largely due to missing a match last week and the team being so new to each other. When I saw the teamsheet I was unimpressed to say the least - it looked as if we had 11 second row forwards playing at once. The performance was actually better than I expected, so much so that I was bitterly disappointed that we eventually lost. In fact I feel that we actually threw away a very good opportunity to win. We built a lead against a frankly disappointing York in the first half then added to it early in the second; then it all went pear-shaped for one simple reason.

All teams get some poor decisions from referees, and we got a couple today. However, when that happens to good teams they may chunter a bit but they then get their concentration back in focus and get on with the job. When we get any poor decisions we seem to go into a mood of paranoia and lose all semblance of control, subsequently giving away even more penalties that eventually cost us.

Overall we gave a decent performance for 80% of the time; the spirit was clearly good; the tackling was vigorous, but we started falling off after 60 minutes (could this be a result of the new interchange rules?); in the last 5 minutes a couple of players looked shot, the gaps were appearing and their more experienced players exploited this.

If we perform with the same energy, application and spirit through the season with the players learning more about each other and improving our game management, then we will remain in this division next year, which is our prime objective this season.

Next week I expect us to deliver a more satisfactory result.

45 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Are York one of the stronger teams though? They haven't been shouting about getting into the top five like some clubs have.

I left with mixed feelings today. Before the game I felt that we would be easily outplayed largely due to missing a match last week and the team being so new to each other. When I saw the teamsheet I was unimpressed to say the least - it looked as if we had 11 second row forwards playing at once. The performance was actually better than I expected, so much so that I was bitterly disappointed that we eventually lost. In fact I feel that we actually threw away a very good opportunity to win. We built a lead against a frankly disappointing York in the first half then added to it early in the second; then it all went pear-shaped for one simple reason.

All teams get some poor decisions from referees, and we got a couple today. However, when that happens to good teams they may chunter a bit but they then get their concentration back in focus and get on with the job. When we get any poor decisions we seem to go into a mood of paranoia and lose all semblance of control, subsequently giving away even more penalties that eventually cost us.

Overall we gave a decent performance for 80% of the time; the spirit was clearly good; the tackling was vigorous, but we started falling off after 60 minutes (could this be a result of the new interchange rules?); in the last 5 minutes a couple of players looked shot, the gaps were appearing and their more experienced players exploited this.

If we perform with the same energy, application and spirit through the season with the players learning more about each other and improving our game management, then we will remain in this division next year, which is our prime objective this season.

Next week I expect us to deliver a more satisfactory result.

Nice post BSJ and had to argue with any of it but we had more than a few bad decisions and I can see our this frustrates players.  The penalty that lead to their first try was a shocker.  it was right in front of us and first the York player tried to pretend he was being held down, when that didn't work he threw the ball down and got a penalty for stealing.  The momentum from their the resulting try was what cost us the game.  They seem to have developed that tactic well used by Swinton of "dropping" the ball on purpose to get a penalty.  Worked several times for them today to great effect.

Thought they were no where near as good as I feared mind and they will be close to us come the end of the season.

Overall however quite pleased.  Sykes was outstanding and should have been MOM. Drop our oh too dodgy winger put Thomas to Full Back and Dale back on the wing and I think we can move forward with some confidence.  Must win next week now mind.

Where are the highlights, be interesting to see? If a player is on report, and it proves he is guilty, then fair enoguh. It is a constant gripe of mine, that putting players on report is an easy way out for officials. IF Cockayne gets suspended, that is no consolation to you, yet had the officials made e decision to give him a yellow, or a red card, then that would have had a massive impact on today's result.

Trout wasn't very clever. Rams had just conceded a penalty, and the next tackle he goes in like a lunatic. Players need to assess the situation, he certainly didn't.

13 hours ago, NickD said:

Nice post BSJ and had to argue with any of it but we had more than a few bad decisions and I can see our this frustrates players.  The penalty that lead to their first try was a shocker.  it was right in front of us and first the York player tried to pretend he was being held down, when that didn't work he threw the ball down and got a penalty for stealing.  The momentum from their the resulting try was what cost us the game.  They seem to have developed that tactic well used by Swinton of "dropping" the ball on purpose to get a penalty.  Worked several times for them today to great effect.

Thought they were no where near as good as I feared mind and they will be close to us come the end of the season.

Overall however quite pleased.  Sykes was outstanding and should have been MOM. Drop our oh too dodgy winger put Thomas to Full Back and Dale back on the wing and I think we can move forward with some confidence.  Must win next week now mind.

Bit harsh on Brown Nick. He had to field a very good kick while back peddling and under pressure. Where was the cover from our oh too dodgy full back and centre, who from what I saw were nowhere to be seen. Personally,  I think our ability to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, was our lack of discipline in giving away stupid and needless penalties that led to scores, and some match rustiness, which was to be expected. I am however, confused as to why 1) Morton played full back, when successive coaches have found to their cost, he isn't one. 2) Why was one of our more competent second rowers playing at centre, which he is patently unsuited for. 3) Why have we signed yet another second rower on loan - if most of the other dozen who didn't play aren't fit for purpose, why sign them ? All in all, I was fairly impressed with the first half, but baffled as to why we rolled over in the second. 

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

11 hours ago, HaxbyKnight said:

Where are the highlights, be interesting to see? If a player is on report, and it proves he is guilty, then fair enoguh. It is a constant gripe of mine, that putting players on report is an easy way out for officials. IF Cockayne gets suspended, that is no consolation to you, yet had the officials made e decision to give him a yellow, or a red card, then that would have had a massive impact on today's result.

Trout wasn't very clever. Rams had just conceded a penalty, and the next tackle he goes in like a lunatic. Players need to assess the situation, he certainly didn't.

I'm of the same opinion that "on report" is a soft option..........I've advocated previously that a player put "on report" should have to leave the field of play and take no further part in that game - BUT his team should be able to be kept at full strength with his replacement being counted as an interchange..........That way, if the Officials have got it right the appropriate punishment starts to take effect immediately in the game in which it occurred......If the Officials have got it wrong, the team isn't overly affected as they remain at full strength in terms of numbers....... Would be interesting if anyone had the stats of percentage of "on report" incidents that were subsequently found to be 'proven' 

2 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

Bit harsh on Brown Nick. He had to field a very good kick while back peddling and under pressure. Where was the cover from our oh too dodgy full back and centre, who from what I saw were nowhere to be seen. Personally,  I think our ability to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, was our lack of discipline in giving away stupid and needless penalties that led to scores, and some match rustiness, which was to be expected. I am however, confused as to why 1) Morton played full back, when successive coaches have found to their cost, he isn't one. 2) Why was one of our more competent second rowers playing at centre, which he is patently unsuited for. 3) Why have we signed yet another second rower on loan - if most of the other dozen who didn't play aren't fit for purpose, why sign them ? All in all, I was fairly impressed with the first half, but baffled as to why we rolled over in the second. 

Agree entirely on Playing Dan O in the centre but successive coaches seemed obsessed with this strategy.  Perhaps we are just too old?

Also agree about second rowers but to be fair Annakin was outstanding

Have to disagree on the winger.  Also dropped ball at least twice on first or second tackle which put us under pressure. 

Morton at FB is a tragedy..

Not sure we rolled over.  Without that ridiculous penalty decision that gave them their first try I doubt York would have ever got that momentum that allowed them back in..

Was much better than I expected yesterday as our first match of the year. Some good performances across the park, and some disappointing ones as well. To me the biggest point of the match was Danny O dropping the ball in the act of scoring. If we’d have scored that, then we would have been 20-0 up with a kick to come. Not sure York would have come back from then. Shame the highlights don’t show the grounding of the last try, looked like it bounced from where we were. It is interesting to hear the referees on the highlights, as their mic is linked to the video. Not easy for any of the officials. Most of the dropped balls / stealing the ball, could be given either way. Hate that rule! Hopefully we’ll learn for next week, make a couple of changes where needed and get the win v Swinton! UTR 

Archived