Fri 8 Feb: SL: Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/02/19 at 19:45

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, DoubleD said:

What a pathetic crowd. Lenagan should be seriously worried about the marked decline in crowds at Wigan, particularly as they have few other revenue streams.

It didn’t look good on tv, given it was 2 of bigger teams. I dread to think what it will look like vs the likes of Salford, Catalans or London 

Leneghan already accepted that Wigan's crowd figures were in decline even in a Championship winning season they couldn't entice the good folk of the town along in the numbers as they have done in the near previous seasons, his sole purpose of being the architect to getting rid of the 8's was nothing to do with the structure that was, it was purely in recognition that the coffers needed a rebalance, the extra 'home games' brought about by the loopy fixtures addressed that by approx 500K.

9 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

Probably because the result was a foregone conclusion. Might as well watch it on telly.

Leeds may well attract more 'home' supporters to their games at Headingley than any other team at their own home venues, but foregone conclusion or not, the Leeds fans are not good travellers supporting their team away.

8 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Bloody hell, people haven’t turned up because Wigan hasn’t got a Rugby League World Cup game? Some excuse that. 

First home game of the season after winning the comp, that’s an abysmal crowd. 

Why are you so angry? Our crowds will be fine again over the year. 

You couldn’t even sell out your biggest game of the season last week. 

7 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

In attendance aggregate I will agree with you they will be better than last season for the reason I stated above, but the average attendance, I'm not to sure that it will better last season EW.

The crowd was disappointing but remember that any attendance is made up of two elements, home and away supporters. Had Leeds brought as many fans as Wigan took to St.Helens last week it would have been over 14,000 and therefore fewer complaints. Re Williams; he’s never been my favourite player but I thought last night he was excellent.

7 hours ago, M j M said:

No it's not.

You get a bad call against you. Boo hoo. You aren't obliged to concede a try straight from it as Leeds did at least twice tonight.

Rugby League is a fast game in which the referee has to make a decision on every single tackle and every single play the ball. Leeds fans were bellyaching about the referee for a huge chunk of the game. Get real, Thaler was nothing to do with why Leeds lost tonight.

Quoting me out of context. I didn't say Leeds lost because of the officials, in fact I actually said Leeds lost because of a 58% completion rate.

The officials had a huge effect on the game however. In a sport so influenced by momentum, 6 or 7 major calls went with the pies. The commentary team and the half/full time pundits were also discussing it; it's not boo hoo poor Leeds fan.

The officials are not held accountable which is wrong. They leave themselves open to suggestions they are even corrupt. In a world where much bigger sports have been proved to be corrupt it's not beyond belief.

If the ref is not good enough he needs to be replaced. If he needs more than two eyes then put another ref on the field. You rarely have as many officiating mistakes in the NRL.....

And before you say sour grapes, yesterday I also criticised the fact Cas were the beneficiaries against Hull. I suspect Leeds will benefit on another day too.

26 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

The officials are not held accountable which is wrong. They leave themselves open to suggestions they are even corrupt. In a world where much bigger sports have been proved to be corrupt it's not beyond belief.

This is insane. The calls which went against Leeds were, in the context of refereeing, 50/50 ones. A forward pass (which from my view of the screen looked forward but others say not). A knock on which Thaler couldn't see but which his touch judge didn't call. A ball strip or a knock on call which are guesses most of the time for referees by their very nature. 

We see referees dropped in subsequent weeks when they make major mistakes. I doubt we'll see that next week for Thaler because these calls were marginal ones. If you want to go down a rabbithole of "I'm not saying it's corruption but it looks like it could be corrupt" then shall we unpack the list of calls which Ben Thaler has given in Leeds' direction in games much larger than this?

48 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

The crowd was disappointing but remember that any attendance is made up of two elements, home and away supporters. Had Leeds brought as many fans as Wigan took to St.Helens last week it would have been over 14,000 and therefore fewer complaints. Re Williams; he’s never been my favourite player but I thought last night he was excellent.

Yes because travelling from Leeds to Wigan is exactly the same as Wigan travelling to Saints for a local derby. Teams should not be relying on away support to get decent crowds, the home crowd was pretty poor to say it was the first home game and after winning the SL

43 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

I forgot btw, amongst the list of Thaler loves Leeds calls is the one where he didn't send Brett Ferres off a game between these two a couple of years ago. In a blow to your claims of a lack of accountability, Thaler was dropped from SL for the next round after Ferres got a six game ban.

8 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Yes because travelling from Leeds to Wigan is exactly the same as Wigan travelling to Saints for a local derby. Teams should not be relying on away support to get decent crowds, the home crowd was pretty poor to say it was the first home game and after winning the SL

As a comparison for where the 2 clubs are off the field, Leeds got almost as many turn up for their Boxing Day friendly vs Wakefield. 

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I’m not. I just think it’s a pathetic excuse for why a crowd was so low but you lot are known for your fair weather following so I suppose it’s to be expected.

I’m not one for fellacio measuring but if that’s your game, great. 

In all seriousness, I think the crowd or lack of it is a bit of a hangover from the previous structures, where we’ve had Wigan v Leeds four, maybe even five times a season across all competitions and people are bored of it. 

14 minutes ago, M j M said:

I forgot btw, amongst the list of Thaler loves Leeds calls is the one where he didn't send Brett Ferres off a game between these two a couple of years ago. In a blow to your claims of a lack of accountability, Thaler was dropped from SL for the next round after Ferres got a six game ban.

Do you not think you are demonstrating my point!!

You have coined 'Thaler loves Leeds calls' as you feel that Leeds ordinarily benefit when he officiates. Therefore you must believe for some reason he is biased. I fell short of making such a claim.

I am not the biggest believer in coincidence. When a game can have so many inaccurate calls (any game) the question should be asked why.

If it's as simple as the officials were inept they need to be replaced.

If it's that they have an impossible job, they need extra help, ie another ref.

If it's integrity they need to be investigated and punished.

A problem exists when a game is heavily influenced by a QUANTITY of officiating mistakes. The reason for the mistakes is secondary.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Leneghan already accepted that Wigan's crowd figures were in decline even in a Championship winning season they couldn't entice the good folk of the town along in the numbers as they have done in the near previous seasons, his sole purpose of being the architect to getting rid of the 8's was nothing to do with the structure that was, it was purely in recognition that the coffers needed a rebalance, the extra 'home games' brought about by the loopy fixtures addressed that by approx 500K.

There are no extra home games in this system. Probably one fewer for them.

34 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Cannot disagree when you say that the home crowd was poor and that is something for Wigan to address. Still a better atmosphere with a good contingent of away support though..

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

is Watkins still cpt? and if so wouldn't leeds be better having a cpt in the middle of the park organising and directing play in the thick of it?

Yes. But Myler and Merrin were doing all the talking last night, during the behind the posts sessions at least.

14 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Do you not think you are demonstrating my point!!

You have coined 'Thaler loves Leeds calls' as you feel that Leeds ordinarily benefit when he officiates. Therefore you must believe for some reason he is biased. I fell short of making such a claim.

I am not the biggest believer in coincidence. When a game can have so many inaccurate calls (any game) the question should be asked why.

If it's as simple as the officials were inept they need to be replaced.

If it's that they have an impossible job, they need extra help, ie another ref.

If it's integrity they need to be investigated and punished.

A problem exists when a game is heavily influenced by a QUANTITY of officiating mistakes. The reason for the mistakes is secondary.

No, you introduced corruption, you're the one who is jumping up and down and getting outraged.

I highlighted that Leeds have probably benefited from more high-profile Thaler 50/50s in very big games than they have suffered like last night.

Corrupt? No. Unlucky that a couple last night went against Leeds? Maybe. Just like they were lucky when Thaler missed that huge knock on by Danny McGuire in a tryscoring move in the 2012 Challenge Cup semi or the 'knock on' try by by Moon in the 2015 Grand Final.

But if Leeds had some defensive spine and hadn't let Wigan walk through them after adverse decisions it would have been irrelevant. As Sinfield himself has highlighted, the best teams are those who respond to adversity, rather than chuck their toys out of the pram , claim some corrupt conspiracy and fail to deal with their own failings.

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There are no extra home games in this system. Probably one fewer for them.

I know what you are relating to David, but there were 11 home league games in the 8's system, there will be 14 home league games in this system, will that not have an effect on the season ticket costs, one Wigan fan on this thread said there was 11,000 season tickets sold!

58 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Still, the Leeds away support is pretty poor in reflection to their home following.

12 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

Cannot disagree when you say that the home crowd was poor and that is something for Wigan to address. Still a better atmosphere with a good contingent of away support though..

Clearly Leeds did not bring many.  Their poor start at Warringron would not encourage people to travel, and not for 2 games on a row (and they still have 2 more to go).   

As has been said if you strip out Wigans away fans from the Saints game then that gate would be comparable.  And someone pointed out Wigan have 11,000 season ticket holders.

I live 200 miles away, but even if it were 20 then you could still watch the game for £8 and you probably can watch a couple of games for 24 hours with that.  If anyone has problems travelling then it's quite easy to make excuses not to.

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I know what you are relating to David, but there were 11 home league games in the 8's system, there will be 14 home league games in this system, will that not have an effect on the season ticket costs, one Wigan fan on this thread said there was 11,000 season tickets sold! 

The season ticket included 14 or 15 home league games last year though, depending on how many you got in the Middle 8s. There is a swing of one perhaps but that's it.

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

I certainly agree that teams shouldn't be relying on away teams for support. However that wasn't the point the poster was making with his comments about the Saints crowd last week. Friday night is a poor night for any cross Pennine fixture in my opinion and no one should be surprised about a small away following in fixtures like this. It is practically impossible for many away fans to attend.

Archived