NCL Season

Premier - Hunslet Parkside, they won't go unbeaten this year and I have a feeling other teams will be closer but should have enough to go back to back

Division One - Normanton

Division Two - West Bowling

Division Three - An absolute lottery, no idea what the new teams will look like and it's often the case new teams perform well in this division but i'll take a punt on Drighlington 

13 hours ago, kev p said:

Are there any ncl cups this season? Or none as last season? Any charity shield also?

As the current holders, we enquired last season as to whether there was a cup comp and when we found out there wasn't we asked further if that meant we got to keep the trophy. The response we got neither confirmed or ruled out future cup comps but told us unequivocally that the trophy wasn't ours to keep and that arrangements would be made to pick it up....a year later and we still have it ??‍♂️ 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a suggestion. If you have gaps in your fixture list, why not go on tour? You are the strongest amateur clubs in Britain. Get your club secretary to arrange an out-of-area fixture (ideally to a development area) to brighten up your league season.

The development areas around the country are struggling with small numbers of teams trying to build a fixture list which will help them retain players until the game spreads and grows in their area. A visit from a heartland club, would be a big help to those clubs.

What's in it for you? A great adventure!

An adventure which will bring together your members, players and non players, in a way which nothing else can match. A fresh, novel, exciting outing to a different part of the country, with the opportunity to make new friends, (find romance?) create lifelong memories and contacts and to enjoy a great game of rugby league against unfamiliar opponents, to round it all off.

I know you want to win the NCL who wouldn't, but isn't it just a bit boring, bumping heads with the same old opponents year after year after year?

Please consider this suggestion and ideally, encourage your local areas to organise their leagues into odd numbers of teams, so that each week, one team will have a free week, where they can arrange an annual tour! (or take a rest) or even arrange a trans-pennine fixture against someone new.

If this idea was adopted nationally, it would I believe, do more to create a spirit of one-ness (unity, brotherhood) amongst the far-flung rugby league outposts, offering encouragement and welcoming new-comers into the fold, nurturing and feeding all our ambitions for this great game.

Why not choose a part of the country you'd like to visit, the Midlands, the North East, London, Cornwall and Devon, or Wales perhaps and fill your boots with holiday spirits to brighten up your same old, same old, season?

The assistance it could provide the new areas would be immense, but I guarantee, your members will be talking about it for years.

On 2/25/2019 at 11:55 AM, Marauder said:

Cup competitions play havoc with fixtures. 

Agreed

It is a fixture sec nightmare and half the teams have a vacancy the next round which is why NCL will not release dates to Barla  for cup competitions or make uneven divisions deliberately  to cater for Fighting Irish above thoughts and dreams  ( it would cost a club £3k plus for that sort of jolly -  £ 1k coach and minimum £2k hotel  )

The National Cup  if it is to flourish needs to be winter based with a final prior to the launch of the summer season . That might tempt many mid table clubs from NCL to have a crack in say september onwards.

Local cups should be mid week in summer when lights are not needed and the summer clubs at all levels would simply be replacing a training session with a match. Again that might kick start a necessary but ignored level of our game.

Challenge Cup dates and National cup  are resolved directly between RFL and Barla. not NCL. There is a national fixture calendar agreed yearly by all interested parties.

A related thread on these forums suggests the NCL is in the pocket of the RFL . It is not. Ask anyone at the RFL what a pain in the ar@@ they can be.  The direct financial support to Tier 4  is constantly  under pressure but the aims and objectives of the NCL continue to mirror those of all corners of the game. The sooner this sport provides a united front to others  outside the better.

And finally I have also seen a comment  elsewhere about bringing 'forward thinking 'people into the debates.

Bring it on I say.

This game is dying at administrative level. The average age of the NCL decision makers is over 60. I'm not saying that they are not forward thinking but there is certainly a succession issue throughout the game

Interested parties  including you key board warriors - and I am seriously not being critical here -  for NCL  or Tier 4 level please contact Alan Smith at RFL........ The issue of younger  volunteers to keep this game going at Community level has become critical...

Play games mid week?? I know them games don't take anything out of the body especially local derbies. That's the administrator talking not  a player, nobody, I've ever played with or against has ever said you know what, let's play mid week, it'll be ace it'll be like we've never played

The work load put on to administrator at the clubs increases annually, therefore it no longer is enjoyable. As you say the age the volunteers  at clubs is usually fifty years or older.  Throw in New technology that they are required to use and you find that pool  of volunteers decreases every season. The main thing that people  forget we are all involved for enjoyment  ans NOT a second place of employment. 

16 hours ago, johnmatrix said:

Play games mid week?? I know them games don't take anything out of the body especially local derbies. That's the administrator talking not  a player, nobody, I've ever played with or against has ever said you know what, let's play mid week, it'll be ace it'll be like we've never played

The main problem with mid-week games for us is most of our team work away and are away for two weeks at a time. 

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

8 hours ago, chisholm said:

The work load put on to administrator at the clubs increases annually, therefore it no longer is enjoyable. As you say the age the volunteers  at clubs is usually fifty years or older.  Throw in New technology that they are required to use and you find that pool  of volunteers decreases every season. The main thing that people  forget we are all involved for enjoyment  ans NOT a second place of employment. 

Totally agree, I would also add all the qualifications required these day before a ball is passed, the powers have totally forgotten many are in the sport at amateur level for the enjoyment, at the present it is sometimes like going to work in a job you don't want to be in.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Let's play two games a week, lads will absolutely love it, they'll all be on board

Player welfare is most important,, never mind if the secretary has to fill the team sheet in twice a week, he's not missing work Monday cause he was smashed to bits Saturday.

Watched the Hensingham-Eastmoor match yesterday. Appalling conditions - driving rain and a strong wind - inevitably affected the quality of the rugby. There were a lot of handling mistakes. Eastmoor, who I thought had the superior kicking game, certainly in the first half, led 8-0 and 14-6 but, the first five minutes and an 80m breakaway try apart, the second half was pretty much all Hensingham. At 12-14 (which is how it finished), Hensingham were denied a try by a superb last-ditch tackle then were held up in goal. Eastmoor did miss a penalty with the last kick of the game. About 90 watching (some from the bar!). £3 entry included an 8pp programme.

Strange game this afternoon at Elmpark Way, Heworth. Woolston Rovers seemingly did everything in their power to ensure the home team won. Rovers had three sin-binnings (two at the same time) and were clobbered 5-17 on the penalty count. Unfortunately, Heworth (without 11 injured players, according to the gateman) simply weren't good enough to take advantage. Poor handling and decision making - especially when it was 13 against 11 - near the opposition line let down the York lads, and Rovers hung on for a 20-16 victory. It was Woolston's third straight win, Heworth's third straight defeat. Liked the look of Heworth's scrum-half and full-back. Woolston led 10-4 at half-time and 20-4 after 51 minutes. Scrappy game in a strong, cold wind - and way too much whistle from the referee, Tom Scott. Admission was £2.50, with an excellent 20-page programme a quid extra. The crowd numbered about 140.

A minute's applause preceded kick-off in memory of former Heworth, Yorkshire and Great Britain amateur full-back John Dale. A player in the late Fifties/early Sixties, he died recently.

Also went to a game in York .Acorn versus Fev Lions in challenge cup round 3. £5 in plus a programme.2 very commited sides which resulted in a couple of brawls where Hill (acorn) and Gibbons(lions)got sent off in one.The high wind determined that there was only 1 successful kick in 8 attempts .2 Acorn tries from Gallacher and calum and 5 Lions tries from danny glassell (2)scott glassell,Paver and Mawson which gave the Lions a 20 -10 victory.

Archived