Man of Steel points

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoever decided that Liam Marshall was the third best player on the field on Thursday night must have had a very good drink beforehand. 

I’m not a fan of sympathy points like that. You couldn’t give a Wigan player a point as none where close to being that good on Thursday, it’s simply a sympathy vote. I have no problems if a game is genuinely close but that second half wasn’t at all and Wigan didn’t look like scoring so to come to that conclusion is an odd one. 

22 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

terrible way to do it, so liam marshall is now in front of blake austin in running for mos!!!!!!!!!!! a joke system surely?

Agreed. Potentially rewarding a player who is the marginally the best of a bad bunch in a shocking game, equally to a player who puts in a storming match winning performance in a quality match.

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Whoever decided that Liam Marshall was the third best player on the field on Thursday night must have had a very good drink beforehand. 

I’m not a fan of sympathy points like that. You couldn’t give a Wigan player a point as none where close to being that good on Thursday, it’s simply a sympathy vote. I have no problems if a game is genuinely close but that second half wasn’t at all and Wigan didn’t look like scoring so to come to that conclusion is an odd one. 

Sweeping generalisations and your opinion with little fact, apologies for not taking this as gospel. 

rldfsignature.jpg

This system has been used for the Dally M award for a long time. Ok, it's not perfect as it can split votes in good teams but I don't think it has thrown up a Dally M winner which wasn't thoroughly deserved.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

16 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

Agreed. Potentially rewarding a player who is the marginally the best of a bad bunch in a shocking game, equally to a player who puts in a storming match winning performance in a quality match.

Well the teams get the same league points for a win in a poor game and a great one.

Trying to include the quality of the game in any system like this is surely far too subjective to be fair.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Well the teams get the same league points for a win in a poor game and a great one.

Trying to include the quality of the game in any system like this is surely far too subjective to be fair.

Slightly different.  It's not the quality of the game as such but the quality of the performance, which could see too players getting equal points despite vastly different quality of performances.

Technically the system means you could win it for been consistently above average, not getting injured.  Additionally you are essentially competing with your team mates every game which could impact on some players far more than others.  Harder to stand out for Wire than it is for most other teams.

4 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

Slightly different.  It's not the quality of the game as such but the quality of the performance, which could see too players getting equal points despite vastly different quality of performances.

Technically the system means you could win it for been consistently above average, not getting injured.  Additionally you are essentially competing with your team mates every game which could impact on some players far more than others.  Harder to stand out for Wire than it is for most other teams.

On the first point, you mentioned a 'shocking game' which is why I responded as I did.

I agree with your second point about splitting votes in a good team but that can be countered by saying that you would rarely see a player pick up 3 points in a losing team. 

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

On the first point, you mentioned a 'shocking game' which is why I responded as I did.

I agree with your second point about splitting votes in a good team but that can be countered by saying that you would rarely see a player pick up 3 points in a losing team. 

I said marginally the best of a bad bunch in a shocking game.  IE someone who hadnt played that  well but got the 3 points because someone had to.

True, but I do think there is a big risk that the best players cut each others throat because 3 or 4 of them are spread across the same team (Wire and Saints spring to mind this year)

11 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

True, but I do think there is a big risk that the best players cut each others throat because 3 or 4 of them are spread across the same team (Wire and Saints spring to mind this year)

I have just had a look at the Dally M winner list which uses the same system.

Since 2008 the winner of the Dally M has come from the winners of the NRL Grand Final 3 times and the runner up in the Grand Final 4 times so it seems that the best players from the best teams do gravitate to the top of this system over the course of a season.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Done over 23 rounds this should even out, but it is flawed.

God knows who thought Charnley was 2nd best player in that game on Saturday.

Maybe the try saving tackles and try he scored plus the 135m made in bringing the ball out, but my surprise was no mention of Cooper who was immense and is matching hill in performance levels.

36 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Maybe the try saving tackles and try he scored plus the 135m made in bringing the ball out, but my surprise was no mention of Cooper who was immense and is matching hill in performance levels.

On a night if very good performances I thought there were maybe half a dozen better, and that is not to say he wasn't good.

LE went for Goodwin instead if him, which I think is a good shout.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I have just had a look at the Dally M winner list which uses the same system.

Since 2008 the winner of the Dally M has come from the winners of the NRL Grand Final 3 times and the runner up in the Grand Final 4 times so it seems that the best players from the best teams do gravitate to the top of this system over the course of a season.

Time will tell I guess!

Standings after Round 2:

1. James Roby (6 points)

2. Niall Evalds (4 points)

3. Stefan Ratchford (4 points)

4. Paul McShane (4 points)

5. Mike Cooper (3 points)

6. Mitch Garbutt (3 points)

7. Jackson Hastings (3 points)

8. Jamie Shaul (3 points)

9. Alex Walker (3 points)

10. Liam Watts (3 points)

11. Matt Whitley (3 points)

12. George Williams (3 points)

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/54318/man-of-steel-round-two-picks

The system might be flawed but I've no problem with the guy out front already.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Archived