Man of Steel points

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems pretty reflective of the form and most influential players in the competition so far.  I think this system will produce a fair result for MOS.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 2/6/2019 at 3:28 AM, Dunbar said:

This system has been used for the Dally M award for a long time. Ok, it's not perfect as it can split votes in good teams but I don't think it has thrown up a Dally M winner which wasn't thoroughly deserved.

Interestingly every player that has won the Dally M awards in the last 20 years has been a Hooker, Halfback, Stand off or Fullback with one Lock thrown in for good measure.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

2 minutes ago, Allora said:

Interestingly every player that has won the Dally M awards in the last 20 years has been a Hooker, Halfback, Stand off or Fullback with one Lock thrown in for good measure.

I guess it's inevitable. The points system essentially identifies the most influential players in each game. While a prop or winger will have some stand out games, over the course of a season the spine players tend to contribute the most to winning teams.

One player who if he stays fit and isn't banned that could change that is Sam Burgess. The way he plays the game really catches the eye.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I guess it's inevitable. The points system essentially identifies the most influential players in each game. While a prop or winger will have some stand out games, over the course of a season the spine players tend to contribute the most to winning teams.

One player who if he stays fit and isn't banned that could change that is Sam Burgess. The way he plays the game really catches the eye.

If it's "inevitable" then maybe there is something wrong with the system  ???

10 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

If it's "inevitable" then maybe there is something wrong with the system  ???

I know what you mean but in the last 8 years the man of steel has been a half back, a hooker or a full back.

Despite it being a team sport, some positions are critical for success and the best players in these positions are typically seen as the best and most important players in the competition. 

46 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

This format is worse than the parody it become under its old guise. Whoever thought Matautia was the second best player on the park at the weekend was on serious amounts of hallucinogenics. 

Think they must have watched a different game to everyone else. Mind you Powell was probably in with a shout after his brief cameo in the first half!

Clearly the decision to give any Cas player Man of Steel points in the Saints game is ridiculous. Perhaps somebody thought they had to pick the best player from each team!

It is year one of this new system and any system with human input will be open to errors... one of the Dally M judges last year admitted she didn't attend the game!

But I still believe the system is a huge leap forward from players choosing their mates and countrymen at the end of the year.

18 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Clearly the decision to give any Cas player Man of Steel points in the Saints game is ridiculous. Perhaps somebody thought they had to pick the best player from each team!

It is year one of this new system and any system with human input will be open to errors... one of the Dally M judges last year admitted she didn't attend the game!

But I still believe the system is a huge leap forward from players choosing their mates and countrymen at the end of the year.

I think in the interests of further transparency, they should show who the reviewer was at each game.

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think in the interests of further transparency, they should show who the reviewer was at each game.

Yes, this is what is done in the Dally M votes.

To be honest, I thought we were here, I just never looked.

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, this is what is done in the Dally M votes.

To be honest, I thought we were here, I just never looked.

Aye, it would be much better if I could go onto twitter and abuse the reviewer! :biggrin:

16 hours ago, Copa said:

Blake is on the rise. I can’t believe the dummies he was using successfully the other day... they just kept falling for them.

only roby and maybe coote on his day can be in the same quality bracket as Austin  from that list, lets hope the voting points system doesn't turn out as flawed as another recent vote fiasco 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

7 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

only roby and maybe coote on his day can be in the same quality bracket as Austin  from that list, lets hope the voting points system doesn't turn out as flawed as another recent vote fiasco 

If there is one label that Austin has had over his career it is inconsistent.

On his day, as we have seen, he is a top quality player but the Man of Steel recognises quality and consistency and he has to prove the latter over a very long season yet.

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

If there is one label that Austin has had over his career it is inconsistent.

On his day, as we have seen, he is a top quality player but the Man of Steel recognises quality and consistency and he has to prove the latter over a very long season yet.

but your talking about his nrl career, only the elite like cam smith, Thurston and a few others can keep that high end up consistently in that comp, all the players deserve credit for their efforts just hope the points system works that's all

He is a great player no doubt but he is certainly not the new messiah. He erodes much of his good work with his indiscipline and errors IMO.

I dont think SL is vintage at the moment and we've seen quite a few 1/6/7/9 come over and shine brightly.

Widdop will make a huge bang next year, more so than the likes of Austin and Barba et al.

1 hour ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

He is a great player no doubt but he is certainly not the new messiah. He erodes much of his good work with his indiscipline and errors IMO.

I dont think SL is vintage at the moment and we've seen quite a few 1/6/7/9 come over and shine brightly.

Widdop will make a huge bang next year, more so than the likes of Austin and Barba at al.

widdops shoulder wont even get him to next season never mind a sl payday

• 2 weeks later...

Archived