Man of Steel points

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Good to see Fifita at the top, best import and best prop in SL imo. Watts comes close at prop, Blake looks good for an import but I’d have the big bopper any day. 

Dont know who rate Cruise Leaming  but he’s a cheap shot merchant nothing more.

Fifita has been excellent, fully deserving his current top spot.

Is he the best prop in SL? You would struggle to argue against it.

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Dont know who rate Cruise Leaming  but he’s a cheap shot merchant nothing more.

Kruise Leeming????  Oh the "little cheat"

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Well for me Roby should still be ahead. Don't like this system.

You could be in a mediocre game but be man of the match among poor performers... alternatively play mush better in a good win with many outstanding performers but get no points.

Yep issues with the old system but I still prefer the other teams players having the biggest say.

1 minute ago, redjonn said:

You could be in a mediocre game but be man of the match among poor performers... alternatively play mush better in a good win with many outstanding performers but get no points.

Yep issues with the old system but I still prefer the other teams players having the biggest say.

So if it doesn't suit you its wrong, interesting.

7 minutes ago, redjonn said:

You could say that because Roby is in the top team and in a pivotal position he has an unfair advantage over others. 

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

On 25/03/2019 at 21:38, Rupert Prince said:

If it's "inevitable" then maybe there is something wrong with the system  ???

There are upward of 9 forwards aside from hooker playing and due to the workload it's only very special players that can stand out as forwards week in week out but the pivotal backs/hookers can take a lot of the credit off the back of the graft of many. Centres and wingers wil hardly get a look in because again this is usually seen as down to the halves that they looked good (not all the time obviously). 

It's a loaded system for sure and as a forward when you have stood out and stood out all season you really are the man of steel, not just the 'best player' in the competition.

Maybe we should be looking at introducing a best/most influential player 'MVP' and leave the man of steel award to the forwards?

On 02/04/2019 at 18:02, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

He is a great player no doubt but he is certainly not the new messiah. He erodes much of his good work with his indiscipline and errors IMO.

I dont think SL is vintage at the moment and we've seen quite a few 1/6/7/9 come over and shine brightly.

Widdop will make a huge bang next year, more so than the likes of Austin and Barba et al.

No he won't, he'll do very well in S but he's not going to be the epic player you're bigging him up to be! Let's face it, SL is not exactly NRL standard is it, Barba was sensational for most of the season, yes he was weak as #### in the tackle at times and went missing but he was bloody exciting when he was on it, more so than Austin IMHO.

Widdop will not be the massive deal you're making him out to be.

5 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

No he won't, he'll do very well in S but he's not going to be the epic player you're bigging him up to be! Let's face it, SL is not exactly NRL standard is it, Barba was sensational for most of the season, yes he was weak as #### in the tackle at times and went missing but he was bloody exciting when he was on it, more so than Austin IMHO.

Widdop will not be the massive deal you're making him out to be.

You have just reinforced most of what I said......

SL is not vintage currently and so good NRL players look like superstars over here.

Barba was really very good when he tried. Austin is a special talent but he really does like his errors.

Why you think Widdop will not have the same impact I don't know....?

All three are Dally M Team of the Year players, Widdop most recently.

Widdop is also a premiership winner and has more NRL longevity than the others.

Widdop has plenty of international experience and is a fantastic dead ball kicker, which in RL for some reason is always ignored.

I'd give my back teeth to have him at Leeds!

7 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

So if it doesn't suit you its wrong, interesting.

I gave my view... do you object to me having an opinion... 

I never said it doesn't suit me so its wrong.. 

or is it that you disagree with me and thus your opinion is always right 

8 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

You could say that because Roby is in the top team and in a pivotal position he has an unfair advantage over others. 

yep, I would agree with your comment.... I guess also a player doing outstandingly well in a losing team gets little man of steel reward.

plus Roby was a key player in saints win but gets no points towards man of steel because of other excellent performances....as happens for others... Thus he remains on same points as a Austin that was really poor in the same game

Yep their are flaws in the system.... as their may be in other systems... 

As I say I don't like the new approach.... but the new system is as it is and have to see how it pans out.

Whatever you think of the current system, the top 3 now are pretty close to the top 3 that I would choose if I was picking my players of the year so far. I probably wouldn't have Austin who has put in a few nondescript performances to go alongside his excellent ones. But I would go with Fifita and Roby with maybe Watts as number 3.

It will be interesting to see how the table compares with public opinion come the end of the season.

It's good to see Josh Griffin getting a bit of recognition btw. He was great last year up until he got injured and ended up struggling his way through the last couple of months. This year he is back to fitness and has picked that form up again. He is scoring tries, getting through a boat load of work, always a handful, and he seems to have really cut down on the errors that were always a part of his game.

11 hours ago, redjonn said:

I gave my view... do you object to me having an opinion... 

I never said it doesn't suit me so its wrong.. 

or is it that you disagree with me and thus your opinion is always right 

That'll teach you to suggest a Wakey player shouldn't be top.

I think this method is flawed but is at least as good if not better than anything else.

The players currently at and near the top would get plenty of votes under any other system I reckon.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

It’s certainly still flawed when you get players in teams who get convincingly beaten and don’t have good games getting a point or two when all three point scorers should be from the team that’s won the game but looking at it from a fans perspective, you’d probably have the top three as the three best players in whatever order, if you had to pick today, so whilst it still needs ironing out in some areas, it’s not as bad as the old system. 

6 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It’s certainly still flawed when you get players in teams who get convincingly beaten and don’t have good games getting a point or two when all three point scorers should be from the team that’s won the game but looking at it from a fans perspective, you’d probably have the top three as the three best players in whatever order, if you had to pick today, so whilst it still needs ironing out in some areas, it’s not as bad as the old system. 

Why should all 3 be from the winning team? You can play out of your skin but if your team mates don't perform you won't win. I actually think great performances in losing causes too often get overlooked and instead the 1 or 2 points go to someone who was fairly mediocre but happened to be on the winning team.

2 hours ago, MZH said:

Why should all 3 be from the winning team? You can play out of your skin but if your team mates don't perform you won't win. I actually think great performances in losing causes too often get overlooked and instead the 1 or 2 points go to someone who was fairly mediocre but happened to be on the winning team.

There was a Cas player who got points recently when Saints blitzed them. It was the biggest joke of a sympathy vote ever. The player hadn’t had a particularly good game either. 

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It’s certainly still flawed when you get players in teams who get convincingly beaten

Rubbish.  Guys can put in an outstanding performance regardless of result.  The award is for individuals.

36 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

There was a Cas player who got points recently when Saints blitzed them. It was the biggest joke of a sympathy vote ever. The player hadn’t had a particularly good game either. 

That's a completely different issue.  The guy dishing the points out at fault there.  Who was it btw?

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

15 hours ago, redjonn said:

yep, I would agree with your comment.... I guess also a player doing outstandingly well in a losing team gets little man of steel reward.

plus Roby was a key player in saints win but gets no points towards man of steel because of other excellent performances....as happens for others... Thus he remains on same points as a Austin that was really poor in the same game

Yep their are flaws in the system.... as their may be in other systems... 

As I say I don't like the new approach.... but the new system is as it is and have to see how it pans out.

Probably the best system is for every player to be given a rating for every game. That way, in the example you use, Roby could still have got an 8 or 9, and not a zero versus his peers.

On 16/04/2019 at 16:01, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

There are upward of 9 forwards aside from hooker playing and due to the workload it's only very special players that can stand out as forwards week in week out but the pivotal backs/hookers can take a lot of the credit off the back of the graft of many. Centres and wingers wil hardly get a look in because again this is usually seen as down to the halves that they looked good (not all the time obviously). 

It's a loaded system for sure and as a forward when you have stood out and stood out all season you really are the man of steel, not just the 'best player' in the competition.

Maybe we should be looking at introducing a best/most influential player 'MVP' and leave the man of steel award to the forwards?

Yes.  Ultimately it's a gimmick.  A promotional gimmick.  Its not something to over reach our little grey cells.  If it was vaguely professionally judged then the likely contenders, say 6, would be examined via a list of criteria, each one weighted and then scored and totalled. The top 3 given a 1 2 3... Or should that be a  3 2 1?

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

Probably the best system is for every player to be given a rating for every game. That way, in the example you use, Roby could still have got an 8 or 9, and not a zero versus his peers.

I think that would be a far better system

Using Roby as the example... he has been stuck on 12 points points for a bit  but yet has been very instrumental for Saints in all the games... and loss.... chuckle.

Some players are on the field for the full 80mins or almost the full 80, others like props are on for 40 or 50 mins... or less and thus energy levels are not as sapped and may look really good for lesser time their on.... like say Garbutt (who I think is a good prop) earlier on in the rounds was man of the match a couple of times....

14 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

That'll teach you to suggest a Wakey player shouldn't be top.

I think this method is flawed but is at least as good if not better than anything else.

The players currently at and near the top would get plenty of votes under any other system I reckon.

You still bitter, what a tragic way to be - let it go, I was proved right just live with it.

Leeming is not what he's made out to be...just yet.

To make it, he needs to go to a big club - I'm guessing he will make a good successor to Roby at Saints.

Not sure if he can eradicate the error and grubbiness to make it at the top, but he has potential.

6 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

You still bitter, what a tragic way to be - let it go, I was proved right just live with it.

In what way am I bitter?

Could you please explain when you were right and, therefore presumably, I was wrong?

Your response to redjohn, which I quoted, was brought about not by him suggesting Roby should be top in what he thinks would be a fairer system of giving out MOS points, but the simple reason that would mean Fifita would no longer be top.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Archived