Man of Steel points

To be honest I have no idea whom should be leading the Man of Steel.... That is I don't watch every game, every week. In fact most of the time I only watch one game per week, occasionally two, sometimes none.  

I suspect that I'm not much different than most fans or even commentators on here, thus some of us are more influenced by the very few games we see, which I suspect are the teams we support.

For example.... if I think somebody is man of the match in the game I watch, how do I know if his performance is better or more influential than another man of the match in another game.  One game could be really poor or easy for the winning team (say playing Leeds... chuckle) in which nobody plays well versus/against another game in which both teams play really well with many stand out performances.

Both get 3 points.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Regan Grace got 0 points against Wigan. Utterly embarrassing system. 

I'd have had Lomax, Thompson, Coote and Walmsley ahead of him in terms of overall performance, regardless of the three tries.

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Thompson, Roby and Coote got the points.  Roby’s selection is strange. 

Maybe, sometimes it's easy to overlook Roby when his average game is still better than most others. Watching the game again earlier the speed and accuracy on his distribution was phenomenal. When you're taking three or four defenders out of the game with a pass off the floor from the middle of the pitch to the centres, it's easy to get a roll on and create chances.

I'd have ruled him out though for going off for a nap in the second half, he's a bit lazy is Roby.

On 18/04/2019 at 05:17, Old Frightful said:

In what way am I bitter?

Could you please explain when you were right and, therefore presumably, I was wrong?

Your response to redjohn, which I quoted, was brought about not by him suggesting Roby should be top in what he thinks would be a fairer system of giving out MOS points, but the simple reason that would mean Fifita would no longer be top.

'That'll teach you to suggest a Wakey player shouldn't be top', thats a snide dig and you know it, it's bitter, none of yoyr flim flam will get you out of that.

52 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

'That'll teach you to suggest a Wakey player shouldn't be top', thats a snide dig and you know it, it's bitter, none of yoyr flim flam will get you out of that.

*Sigh*

I think you need to reassess your definition of the word "bitter". I took the mickey out of you, that's obvious, but it doesn't make me bitter.

Let's look at the two instances that I've taken you up on here :

Firstly, a poster, I think it was MZH, says Tom Johnstone reminds him of a young Tom Briscoe. Your utter contempt for his opinion was palpable. You could barely bring yourself to mention the two players in the same sentence. "Don't make me laugh" were some of your words, in spite of Briscoe having been an international. You just couldn't accept anybody else's opinion.

Secondly, redjohn suggests that, in his opinion, James Roby should still head the MOS voting list. He made the mistake of saying this shortly after David Fifita overtook Roby at the top of the list. Straight away you quoted him and objected saying "So if it doesn't suit you it's wrong, interesting". redjohn is a Salford fan, he would be far better suited if a Reds player was at the top, but he was merely commenting on the way the MOS table points were accumulated. But you objected, not because you thought his idea was flawed, but because it would have meant a Wakefield player would no longer be at the top of the list.

I'm still wondering what your remark "I was proved right" was referring to?, like I said, I presume therefore it was me that was wrong but I haven't the faintest iota of what it was about.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

44 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

*Sigh*

I think you need to reassess your definition of the word "bitter". I took the mickey out of you, that's obvious, but it doesn't make me bitter.

Let's look at the two instances that I've taken you up on here :

Firstly, a poster, I think it was MZH, says Tom Johnstone reminds him of a young Tom Briscoe. Your utter contempt for his opinion was palpable. You could barely bring yourself to mention the two players in the same sentence. "Don't make me laugh" were some of your words, in spite of Briscoe having been an international. You just couldn't accept anybody else's opinion.

Secondly, redjohn suggests that, in his opinion, James Roby should still head the MOS voting list. He made the mistake of saying this shortly after David Fifita overtook Roby at the top of the list. Straight away you quoted him and objected saying "So if it doesn't suit you it's wrong, interesting". redjohn is a Salford fan, he would be far better suited if a Reds player was at the top, but he was merely commenting on the way the MOS table points were accumulated. But you objected, not because you thought his idea was flawed, but because it would have meant a Wakefield player would no longer be at the top of the list.

I'm still wondering what your remark "I was proved right" was referring to?, like I said, I presume therefore it was me that was wrong but I haven't the faintest iota of what it was about.

I still can't believe the overreaction to my Briscoe comments.

Tom Briscoe coming through was the most excited I have been as a Hull about about any young player. At 19 years old he was already a superstar, I genuinely thought he would go on to dominate at international level, be a star in the NRL, etc.

So I said that we shouldn't carried away with Johnstone being an international etc, because at that age Briscoe was as good if not better (just my opinion, I'm perfectly happy for people to disagree) and yet he has never quite gone on to be what we hoped he would be. 

The response was ridiculous. Either he is very new to the game and never saw some of the things Briscoe was doing 8 or 9 years ago, or he has forgotten about them. He was a walking highlight reel.

Is anybody out there?

On 21/04/2019 at 21:58, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Thompson, Roby and Coote got the points.  Roby’s selection is strange. 

well good he got couple of points otherwise Sneyd would be equal points with him.

I like Sneyd but given how the two teams are performing and how well Roby has played in that run compared to Hull FC run... something not right with the system.

The whole saints team to-date (to-date being key word)  have been playing well so hard to get points compared to some other teams where if they win in a poor game  3 points for MoM even if that player aren't performing as well as the nil pointers in Saints, Warrington team ,,, etc.

I wasn't at the Hull game, so all I can really base it on is what I heard and what the stats say. But 2 points for Fifita just seems a bit strange.

The big man had 14 carries for 88 metres (just over 6 per carry). He did manage 4 offloads and 3 tackle busts, but even so, it doesn't seem like he tormented the Hull pack, far from it.

As a comparison Scott Taylor had 12 carries for 128, and Chris Green made the same yards as Fifita in half the carries. Josh Griffin (playing on the wing this time) chewed up the ground again with 15 for 166. 

It just seems like Fifita is flavour of the month and was going to get a mention so long as he didn't have a shocker.

Or am I reading too much into stats, and he actually had a very good game?

Stop winding KP up.

Blake Austin seems to be a top bloke off the pitch as well as a MOS contender:

http://www.totalrl.com/classy-blake-austin-encourages-healthy-lifestyle-with-park-get-together/

Doing a lot of stuff off his own back and in his own time for the community, and even better is that he's promoting the game in the area where he lives, which is probably more of a RU/Soccer stronghold - getting kids from more affluent areas involved in RL can only be good for the future, along with the recent schools initiatives by the club.   Hopefully these kids will develop a love for the sport and help spread it to different demographics as adults.

Can you imagine a top soccer player doing that?

Just now, Cheshire Setter said:

http://www.totalrl.com/classy-blake-austin-encourages-healthy-lifestyle-with-park-get-together/

Doing a lot of stuff off his own back and in his own time for the community, and even better is that he's promoting the game in the area where he lives, which is probably more of a RU/Soccer stronghold - getting kids from more affluent areas involved in RL can only be good for the future, along with the recent schools initiatives by the club.   Hopefully these kids will develop a love for the sport and help spread it to different demographics as adults.

I can see this getting TV coverage. It ought to, at any rate.

20 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Can you imagine a top soccer player doing that?

Watched a few videos of Blake in his NRL career and he did a similar thing in the community over there.  Basically he took a youth team and turned them into local grand final winners and by all accounts saved a number of the lads from ending in trouble with drugs and gangs.  Probably not the same as what he is doing in Stockton Heath Appleton but still getting involved in the community.

He is not alone in doing this as a number of Super League players do similar, hats off to them and any amature volunteer for that matter.  

8 minutes ago, Tiger Wolf said:

by all accounts saved a number of the lads from ending in trouble with drugs and gangs.  Probably not the same as what he is doing in Stockton Heath Appleton 

My folks live in that part of the Shire, and I’m well aware of the problems facing the youth there..   He could be saving them from a life of Pimms, Olive Tapenade and overpriced hair cuts ? oh and Six Nations love-ins at Tom’s 101 ?

7 hours ago, MZH said:

I wasn't at the Hull game,

Everything after this isn't really worth reading then is it?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

My folks live in that part of the Shire, and I’m well aware of the problems facing the youth there..   He could be saving them from a life of Pimms, Olive Tapenade and overpriced hair cuts ? oh and Six Nations love-ins at Tom’s 101 ?

A different life over on the Southside CS ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived