Referee abuse

I take it the ref reported it and the league said no case to answer?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

It's rife at all levels unfortunately and it flows downwards from the proffessional game.

I was dissapointed by a chunk of fellow Barrow fans at the weekend. The ref and linesman took a barrage of abuse during the first half. In a small ground like that I cant imagine it would help the teams cause.

If it's ok to do it on a Friday evening / sunday afternoon then our youngsters are obviously going to think it's ok in their league.

Makes it even worse that officials at that level are giving up their time to support the game. There's a massive issue in football as they struggle to retain youth and amatuer officials for the same reasons.

2 hours ago, NWDuk said:

It's rife at all levels unfortunately and it flows downwards from the proffessional game.

I was dissapointed by a chunk of fellow Barrow fans at the weekend. The ref and linesman took a barrage of abuse during the first half. In a small ground like that I cant imagine it would help the teams cause.

If it's ok to do it on a Friday evening / sunday afternoon then our youngsters are obviously going to think it's ok in their league.

Makes it even worse that officials at that level are giving up their time to support the game. There's a massive issue in football as they struggle to retain youth and amatuer officials for the same reasons.

I agree 100%.

I've got 3 boys. The eldest who is 15 gave up soccer because it is just nasty, through and through. I support his viewpoint and his mates have followed suit to the point where there is barely a team left.

The middle one plays U13 and I stopped reffing because it's really abusive and stressful. Bear in mind too that this is the Harrogate league, where many people are demonstrably well off and seemingly well educated, yet for some reason behave like dicks.

My youngest plays U10 and I love reffing his games. You don't even need to signal whether it's a goal kick or corner, the kids just get on with it. I reffed two games last weekend and I only blew the whistle to start and end each half.  

Leave the refs and coaches alone, we are just volunteers. We'd much rather have a lie in on a Sunday morning and not be abused by idiots.

I was at an amateur game when someone shouted from the side lines "ref your a w@nk3r", quick as a flash the ref shouted back, "not a big as one as you if you think that'll help your team". Never heard a beep about the ref from the idiot again all game.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I was told a story recently about a few incidents when I played the U10s. The father of a current professional player who won't be named was livid when the coach played certain players and gave the coach of the team quite a bit of abuse, essentially claiming that the lesser skilled players were being a detriment to his sons chances of being a pro RL player. Apparently it got to the point where they had to call a meeting for all the parents and explain that at this level it's just to let kids enjoy themselves and to not take it so seriously. 

One of the reasons my son doesn't play RL any more is that the atmosphere at the vast majority of games was absolutely vile, you'd have regular threats of violence between the opposing sets of parents (and on more than one occasion, actual fighting), vile abuse and physical threatening of the referee and even player's grannies effing and jeffing from the touch line.

He now play RU, where the respect level is several degrees higher, but sadly poor parental behaviour is also creeping in and getting worse, especially at the "posher" clubs.

I just don't get it, it's like there's a separate species of "total arrsehole human" evolving.

I was a ref in the North West around Wigan , Widnes area ; I thought I would put something back into the game I loved! What a mistake that was !! So much abuse from the crowd, players and coaches I gave up after half a season.

Archived