Round 1 — Workington Town

Dave Naylor

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe but I’d have a bit more sympathy . It’s a high octane environment with the adrenaline , emotion ... and frustration flowing . All coaches will be the same at times . In footy with 50000 there you don’t hear it ! He comes across to me on the outside as similar to Leon , passionate , emotional , determined and with a winning mentality which he’s trying to instil into an improving team . They feel the strain to so I’d cut them some slack with the job they’re doing . I wish you guys well , clubs like ours are the heart of community  rugby league and hopefully we both push onto a higher level

The Oldham community commentary team NEED to set up shop a tad further away from the dugout...as passions in that area were certainly running "audibly" high at times...(no different than the stuff you hear via the refs mike in RU and SL to be frank) 

Common sense is all that is required...

It was a game between two really good teams and could have gone either way.  Thought that Worky got the rub of the green  and the ref's decisions more than us, especially at crucial times in the game.  The offside decsion against Bowman at the end being one of them. Don't think the ref had given one offside from kicks all through the match up to that one. My Grandson and me went from feeling on top of the world to absolute devastation in a couple of seconds at the end. Would very much like another look at where Bowman was in relation to Adam Brook when he kicked - any chance of posting a clip off the video recording Dave? I know it doesn't make any difference to the result but I would like to know for sure. 

Back to the game in general which was a great specatacle for League 1 and I believe that we watched two of the top three teams yesterday, possibly the top two.  Both these teams looked strong and well organised and not many teams will get a result against either of them this season. Lots of positives from yesterday with our lads and a lot to look forward to this season me thinks.

Tony Mac

If you’re going through hell, keep going – Winston Churchill

1 hour ago, Dave Naylor said:

And here's a still...

bowman.png

That's deffo a 50-50 call that went against us.  In the build up you can see Anthony looking to time his run all along. The ref does not warn any of the runners going through and seems to have a second thought before awarding. Very tight call that would have been allowed any other time I feel.  Thanks for the upload Dave.  Be interesting what other feel now they've had the chance to view.

Tony Mac

If you’re going through hell, keep going – Winston Churchill

7 minutes ago, Dave Naylor said:

I'll put the full game online later this afternoon.  It's already uploaded, I just have to wait for Vimeo to do its thing.

Could you send a link for it on here please when done? Thanks. Good luck for the rest of the season, I’m sure you’ll be up there one place behind us?

He's clearly offside.

We didn't deserve to win. You don't win games and titles by going for goal instead of tries. We had them on the ropes at 12-12 near the end of the first half when they hadn't touched the ball for about 10 mins and their old blokes were knackered. We should have gone for the throat but instead we let them back into the game and they scored just before half time. In the second half again they're on a team warning after McComb's big break and we've just scored 2 quick back to back tries and we give them a nice little breather. They talk a good game before we play but out on the pitch it's just not there. 

What has happened to the intensity and hunger we had between 2013 and 2016? Every close game now is a foregone conclusion that we will lose. At 28 -20 the game was on a plate for us with Worky on a team warning. Simple smart rugby and we win the game.

Hawkyard and Law were brought in to win these close games and they were the two main culprits in us losing at the end with unbelievably poor errors. The left edge defence of Whittel, Hewitt, Holmes and Kershaw was appalling in the first half in terms of positioning and communication with all four seemingly doing different things giving one of the best players in the league in Elliot Miller all the space he wanted to terrorise us. In the second half the defence was better in terms of positioning but was so passive and ineffective that we were bullied over the line four times but this time mainly on the right.

On the positive side some areas that we needed to improve on  like our attacking shape and inventiveness with the ball is clearly improving. AJB looks a dynamite winger who can bust tackles and make breaks from anywhere. McComb is continuing his progression to being one of the best outside backs in the league. Bowman looks a quality replacement for Langers and his skill with the ball is something we should be using more. Spencer looked closer to his usual self than he has for over a season i felt as well.

The 10 minute spell in the first half when you pulled back to 12-12 was brilliant rugby where by Town found it hard to stop your slick passing moves and off loads culminating in the try of the match from your full back.  Reproduce that for a large % of the game and you will take some beating.  I thought Town finished the stronger team. All the best for the future apart from at DP.

what I like about mbrooksy he tells it how it is and does not get carried away like some on here.

if Oldham lose against Whitehaven the alarm bells should be ringing, because Oldham will not beat Newcastle and Doncaster and certainly will not finish top and then if they are lucky and make the play offs as brooksy states they cannot win the one off game. it seems to me its the same script just a different cast.

24 minutes ago, tandle said:

what I like about mbrooksy he tells it how it is and does not get carried away like some on here.

if Oldham lose against Whitehaven the alarm bells should be ringing, because Oldham will not beat Newcastle and Doncaster and certainly will not finish top and then if they are lucky and make the play offs as brooksy states they cannot win the one off game. it seems to me its the same script just a different cast.

Im the biggest pessimist going or i thought i was until i read that drivel.

9 hours ago, tandle said:

tandle you forgot this

Private Frazer we're doomed.jpg-5642.jpg

5 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Workington beat Bradford home and away last year and look what happened to them.

Yes but in the play offs we had injuries running into the game , and lost Penky and Oliver Wilkes inside 20 mins , and had Fui sent off .In this league especially with small squads it`s when you play the top teams and how your injuries are at the time .Last year Oldham won at Town when we had about 7 players out , when Town won at your place you had about 7 out .

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

Yes but in the play offs we had injuries running into the game , and lost Penky and Oliver Wilkes inside 20 mins , and had Fui sent off .In this league especially with small squads it`s when you play the top teams and how your injuries are at the time .Last year Oldham won at Town when we had about 7 players out , when Town won at your place you had about 7 out .

Was talking about Bradford. Some people on this forum can be doom and gloom. So I was pointing out that you beat Bradford twice and now they're playing in a higher division.so all is not that bad.

Stats-

Hawkyard- 3 tackles. one offload. 4 tackle busts. one clean break. 15 carries=115m

Jones-Bishop-7 tackles. 3 misses. one offload. 4 tackle busts. 3 clean breaks. 10 carries=86m

McComb-17 tackles. 2 misses. 5 tackle busts. one clean break. one try assist. 15 carries=162m

Holmes-18 tackles. 4 misses. 3 carries=13m

Kershaw-7 tackles. one miss. one offload. 5 tackle busts. one clean break. one try assist. 9 carries=81m

Brook-11 tackles. 3 misses. one offload. 2 tackle busts. one try assist. 4 carries=18m

Hewitt-6 tackles. 3 misses. 2 tackle busts. one clean break. 2 carries=22m

Joy-14 tackles. one tackle bust. one clean break. 11 carries=73m

Owen-18 tackles. 3 misses. one try assist. 6 carries=30m

Law-23 tackles. 2 misses. one offload. 10 carries=77m

Whittel-29 tackles. one miss. 3 tackle busts. 10 carries=59m

Bowman-25 tackles.one miss. 2 offloads. 4 tackle busts. 8 carries=27m

Spencer-26 tackles.2 misses. 10 carries=61m

subs

Gwaze-29 tackles. 2 tackle busts. 6 carries=51m

Wilkinson-16 tackles. one offload. 5 carries=36m

Nelmes-21 tackles. 7 carries=64m

Bent-40 tackles. 4 carries=35m