R2 Attendances

Might as well start it early.

I try not to be too obsessed with attendances, but it is a good gauge to see where we are as a sport.

Round 2 coming up, can we surpass R1's figure of 56,736?

Hull FC v Castleford Tigers – 13,000+

Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos – 14,000+

Warrington Wolves v Hull KR – 12,000+

Catalan Dragons v Huddersfield Giants – 9,000+

Salford Red Devils v London Broncos – 3,000+

Wakefield Trinity v St Helens – 5,000+

Total: 56,000+

So, if those crowds are anyway near correct we will be around a similar figure. I believe I may have been a little conservative in a few estimates though.

Hull, I think is about right; It’s the first home game and ticket sales are going well and Cas may bring a few, could push 14k.

Wigan, I hope will be bigger than that; first home game and are probably expecting to beat Leeds, the Rhinos could bring a few more as LUFC aren’t playing but being a Friday it may just equal out, 15k?

Warrington, will be buoyed after last weeks victory and Hull KR travel well, second game at home in a week though, 13k?

Perpignan, first home game for the CC holders should hopefully put a few on the gate, a few Giants will make the journey but with the South of France not being its usual sunny destination in February perhaps not as many as would travel in summer, 10k?

Salford, a very impressive performance last week and their first home game, could be one of the few opportunities the Red Devil’s faithful get to see their team at their very best due to a small squad, when injuries will seriously weaken them, although London will be confident the home fans will be assured it is 2 points in the bag, 4k?  

Wakefield, first game at home this year, the supporters will be hoping for a much better performance than last week and maybe quietly confident of an upset as Saints seem to struggle at Belle Vue, Saints will also bring a good following, 6k?

So anywhere between 50 – 62k. I don’t think the Championship will get anywhere near last weekends figure, with Bradford, Widnes, Leigh and York all being away. Toulouse, Featherstone, Halifax and Barrow should get good crowds, 1,500 – 2,500? I think the rest will be 1,000+, Bradford fans will travel well to Swinton, York will take a good number to Dewsbury, and the Toronto affect should help Rochdale, it won’t be last week’s 3,000 average but hopefully around 1,700. Plus, a plethora of CC ties, 13 (great number) to be exact, with hopefully at the very least a 100 at each game, giving another 1,300 - 2,000. So I would say around 75,000 people watching RL live this weekend, not too mention the hundreds of thousands watching it on tele or listening it on the radio.

Not too bad for a regional minority sport eh?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Yorkie44 said:

Round 2 coming up, can we surpass R1's figure of 56,736?

Hull FC v Castleford Tigers – 13,000+

Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos – 14,000+

Warrington Wolves v Hull KR – 12,000+

Catalan Dragons v Huddersfield Giants – 9,000+

Salford Red Devils v London Broncos – 3,000+

Wakefield Trinity v St Helens – 5,000+

Total: 56,000+

So, if those crowds are anyway near correct we will be around a similar figure. I believe I may have been a little conservative in a few estimates though.

I agree/hope that your estimates are a little conservative. Don't think you're far off with Hull v Cas, with it being Thurs game but would hope Wigan v Leeds will be closer to 17k. Again, Wire v KR is there abouts and Cats can be low this time of year especially so yeah probs a fair guess. Last two games, I really hope Salford can get over 4k home fans (obvs not expecting much from London) and Wakey to be pushing 7k with a reasonable following from Saints fans. So i'll optimistically say a total closer to 62k. 

Warrington vs KR on a Saturday afternoon - 12k may be a little optimistic.   Although I would hope the optimism at Wire this season pushes the crowd above 11k.

I'd like to see a better crowd at Wigan, but last week's performance by Leeds and a late finish on a friday night combined with the winter weather may affect that.

Fingers crossed though...

No idea how Wigan will go this week. The bad news upon bad news start to the year will have dampened enthusiasm among the persuadables who make the difference between 11k and 15k crowds. 

Most importantly, we could do with showing some form to take with us into the WCC. 

12 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Home areas at our place are almost sold out so really depends how many cas bring and they tend to travel well to here. 13-14k probably about right. 

I reckon 14k but you could add another 1000+ to that if it wasn't Thursday night. 

All the attendances suggested by the OP are certainly achievable so hopefully we'll get there. Be good if we could get to the point where 56K attendance each week in SL is the norm with better than 60K on regular occasions to start to generate a bit of momentum. 

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

If Hull get 13,000 for a televised fixture on a Thursday night would be an excellent effort,particularly with their form at the end of last year and a derby defeat last week.

Says a lot when I think the forecast for Salford is on the optimistic side.

Wakefield I would have thought should get more like 7k than 5k,but don't expect more than 12k at Wigan for a televised game

I've not seen anything about ticket sales, but the figures seem a bit optimistic.

I think the floating Wigan fan will save their money for the WCC next week rather than go tomorrow.

Similarly, if Warrington drew 13,000 for a round 1 Leeds match, I would anticipate a greater drop than 1,000 for Hull KR. I wonder why this game is being played on a Saturday?

Hull FC usually have good support and if they could get 12,000+ considering the end to last year that would be excellent.

7 hours ago, Yorkie44 said:

I try not to be too obsessed with attendances,.

So I will start a thread about attendances and write a long enough post about it to show how obsessed I am.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

9 minutes ago, fevtom said:

11,244 at Hull tonight. To be honest I think the predictions at the start of the thread were on the ambitious side. Especially for a Thursday night TV game for a side on a 12 game losing streak.

It was based on the fact that we had a 2 friends for a fiver deal on for members. Whenever we have done similar in the past we have seen really good crowds. 

11k just kind of shows the lack of enthusiasm amongst the fans currently. 

49 minutes ago, fevtom said:

11,244 at Hull tonight. To be honest I think the predictions at the start of the thread were on the ambitious side. Especially for a Thursday night TV game for a side on a 12 game losing streak.

Yeah, a little over ambitious, as MZH alluded to, there was a good initative to shift some tickets, didn't quite work. Let's hope the rest of the team can drag us out. 

On 2/7/2019 at 2:49 PM, hunsletgreenandgold said:

would hope Wigan v Leeds will be closer to 17k

Unfortunately don’t think you’ll get your wish tonight hgag...   looks well short in the stand opposite the cameras.

4 hours ago, Celt said:

Aye - stadium looks empty for two supposed 'giants' of English Rugby League. What is going on??

That’s a good question. Clearly fewer Leeds fans than might be expected due to form plus four away games in a row but clearly a couple of thousand less Wigan fans than you might expect. Weather bad (I listened on radio)? 

Archived